[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 89 KB, 1062x751, OP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6434933 No.6434933 [Reply] [Original]

I ask here because I sincerely don't know anywhere else to do so and get an answer at any satisfactory speed.

I've been reading Dune the last few days. I'm now reading God-Emperor of Dune and I'm seriously tempted to drop the series now. The whole book has been boring as fuck and I have trouble relating to Leto since there's so little of the character from Children of Dune left, not to mention literally every character from the rest of the series except for Leto is dead. I at least expected Ghanima to be around. Over 130 pages in and I still pretty much have no idea of who Siona is or why should I care besides that she's Moneo's daughter, a rebel and can't be seen with prescience. That has literally been the whole extent of her characterization. Not to mention that the transformation of Arrakis into a verdant world, the decay of Fremen culture and prescience, which had been sources of drama for the last two books, are barely getting any focus. It's also seriously bugging me how Leto treats the Duncan Idaho gholas like disposable toys, and that's not even making me root for the rebels since I still have no idea of who the rebels are or what they do.

In short, will there be any plot advancement at all in God-Emperor of Dune and will Leto keep acting so grossly out-of-character for the last two books?

>> No.6434939

>>6434933

>Relating to a character.

There's your problem.

But meanwhile let's discuss what a perfect creature Princess Irulan is.

>> No.6435502

>>6434933
You managed to get all the way to the fourth book? Impressive, I gave up on the second and just read the synopsises (synopsii? synopses?)from wikipedia.

>>6434939
Would you like be her goo-goo tampon boy?

>> No.6435538

>>6434939
this is the issue here, OP.
Why do you want to relate to characters to read about them? Some day you're gonna grab a history book and you're either gonna drop it intermediately or you're gonna buy into some really cheap propaganda.

>> No.6435807

>>6435538
>>6435538
You don't seem to understand what I mean by "relating". I feel alienated by the half-sandworm 3,000 year old God-Emperor whose thought processes are too alien for normal people to understand. Is that better?

>> No.6437597

>>6435807
I dunno, I had fun trying to understand him.

>> No.6437778

>>6435807
Leto's thought process was also abnormal in the 3rd book, the people around him where the only things keeping him grounded.

He is meant to be an incredibility alien entity in the 4th book. You are supposed to relate to the normal humans in the story, and to share in the alienness of Leto. The reveal is essentially that you all fail to understand him because you've stopped thinking of him as human, which he fundamentally is. In fact, he is pretty much still a child.

>> No.6438620

I totally agree OP
God-Emperor was quite a let down after the third book which I thought was amazing, the 5th has some good parts, currently reading Chapter house (6th one) and I want to drop it so bad but I cant stop now....