[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 300x366, plato.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
642656 No.642656 [Reply] [Original]

Clement(writing c. ad 200) reports that Platonists used to write entire books to show that the Stoics and Aristotle had stolen their doctrines from Plato.

>> No.642660
File: 58 KB, 794x206, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.642672

imagine every single book that we've lost through history and then shit your pants.

>> No.642691

And then feel relieved because the digital age has now brought assurance that any piece of literature uploaded into cyberspace will never ever be lost again.

>> No.642696

Excuse me....but Aristotle was a pupil of Plato. Classicists know precisely the influence between the two because they knew each other, but nobody would confuse Aristotelianism with Platonism. Why am I even posting in a thread this stupid. I know more about this than you ever well. Ta megista twn agathwn hemin gignetia dia manias. Pity I don't have a Greek font handy when I'm flaming you.

>> No.642725

COCKrates

>> No.642751

>>642691
and then rage because the only thriving genre today is bizarro shit

>> No.642767

>>642691
>any piece of literature uploaded into cyberspace will never ever be lost again.
Are you being sarcastic?

>Classicists know precisely the influence between the two
This claim is far too strong.
I remind you that we don't have Aristotle's full body of works, nor is what we do have in good shape.

>nobody would confuse Aristotelianism with Platonism
People did not identify Aristotelianism with Platonism, they claimed the two could be harmonized, and that many of Aristotle's ideas take Plato as their starting point. What's wrong with that?

>> No.642780

>>642767
...no. I'm not being sarcastic.
The only time great literature will die from the internet is when the whole human race dies and the computers rust.

>> No.642781

>According to Simplicius, the apparent differences between Plato and Aristotle were derived from their diverse perspectives: Aristotle viewed the intelligible world from the perspective of the sensible world, whereas Plato did the reverse. But, in all central respects, Aristotle’s philosophy could be best understood as a harmonious sub-division of Platonism. One may perhaps compare in this regard the way in which Newtonian mechanics is viewed in relation to quantum mechanics.

>> No.642786

>>642780

We shall see.