[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 238 KB, 940x635, 1428696812377.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6424129 No.6424129 [Reply] [Original]

"Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shem brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface."

>Rot
verb+noun (to rot+ something which is rotten)
homophonic assocation: Not

>pa's malt
Noah's wine, the all-father's geunesses beer

>Jhem or Shem

Japeth and Shem, Noah's sons

>brewed by arclight
by the light of Jonah's ark
also by the light of an electric arc (essentially, production of fire in air by electricity)

>rory end
rory: gaudy, dewy (apt descriptions of Irish environment, hinting at HCE/Finnegan's death in the rory grass at Phoenix park)

also Rory O'Connor, the high king of Ireland during Henry II's invasion

>regginbrow
reg-root suggesting regal
regen (german): rain
Regin: Norse myth dwarf who resurrected Sigfried
Brow: Eyebrow
Rainbow- Genesis: rainbow as symbol of God's promise to Noah never to destroy the earth again

>ringsome
ringsum (german): all around
"some" suggests partial reflection on

>the aquaface
genesis: the face of waters

This sentence has 7 clauses reflecting the 7 colors of the rainbow, whilst describing by what process God moved across the face of the waters as a strobing rainbow regal eyebrow.

FW close reading ITT + Joyce Discussion

>> No.6424169

supplement:

brow in "regginbrow" is combination of blau (german: blue) and brew (liquid, beer, etc.) suggesting what will be, later in that sentence, ringsome on the aquaface.

>> No.6424192

cmon get into it

>> No.6424204

>>6424129
Do you think Joyce intended this stuff or are people just over analyzing?

>> No.6424213

>Actually giving a shit about Finnegan's Wake

shiggy

>> No.6424232

>>6424204
I think Joyce intended for people to overanalyze this stuff.

>> No.6424233

>>6424204

Most of these readings were informed either by Joyce's letters to his colleagues during the writing of "Work in Progress" or from critical sources deriving their analyses from those letters and other relevant sources (i.e. Irish History, folklore, literary influences of Joyce, etc.). So yes, absolutely he intended all of this, he purposefully used upwards of 60 different languages and dialects to write this book. There's a reason it took more than 12 years to finish.

>> No.6424242

>>6424232

Of course he did, its the most challenging crossword puzzle ever invented while at the same time being one of the most beautifully musical texts ever produced. The fact that Joyce's trademark inflection was almost completely maintained despite the infusion of countless meanings in each sentence is a testament to FW monolithic status in literary history.

>> No.6424245

>>6424213

>Mispelling the title of Finnegans Wake

shiggydiggydoo you motherfucker

>> No.6424250

>>6424129
Fuck sake, I was contemplating reading FW but god damn I don't think I would be able to make any sense of it. Ulysses is a far as I go

>> No.6424263

>>6424250

>scared off by dat regginbrow

damn me too tho

>> No.6424272

>>6424129

further supplement:

>rory end to the regginbrow

Joyce is actually saying "musty ass to the rainy brow" of HCE's giant body that ends with his head at Howth Castle, and has his belly as the city of Dublin. Joyce is saying the gross drunkard Tom Finnegan is lying dead in Phoenix Park with his corpse reflected as God on the face of the waters.

>> No.6424331

>>6424129

Go to sleep, James.