[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 85 KB, 600x800, 20150109cover600-x-800.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6419829 No.6419829 [Reply] [Original]

What exactly is New Sincerity and who are some examples from it? This quote from DFW--

>The next real literary “rebels” in this country might well emerge as some weird bunch of anti-rebels, born oglers who dare somehow to back away from ironic watching, who have the childish gall actually to endorse and instantiate single-entendre principles. Who treat of plain old untrendy human troubles and emotions in U.S. life with reverence and conviction. Who eschew self-consciousness and hip fatigue.

--Doesn't seem to apply to Infinite Jest at all

>> No.6419832

the Kei-on fans that post on 4chan

>> No.6419836

>>6419829
that -- I think that's the ending to E unibus pluram -- I felt didn't so much apply to him as it did to the next generation of writers -- I didn't get the feeling he was so much talking about himself, but maybe that he wanted to do that. I mean, look at a bunch of pieces in Brief Interviews -- he didn't exactly eschew self-consciousness, now did he.

>> No.6419838

>>6419829
I guess me, but I didn't know.

>> No.6419842

It's literary horoscope. A "prediction" so vague consisting of elements that are already in every book anywhere so as to seem like it's accurate and--worse--relevant.

I never understood the traction this sort of bullshit has on /lit/. Sometimes, it's like you all want to be bamboozled.

>> No.6419846

>>6419829
Would Dave Eggers fit the bill for new sincerity