[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 106 KB, 754x653, 1392213339168.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6404889 No.6404889 [Reply] [Original]

my sci-fi/fantasy universe is too enormous for me to know where to begin my epic saga. I dont know how to plan a plot properly when i've cared so much for the universe i've developed. Any tips on how to plan a story without giving too much lore all at once and gradually build it in?

>> No.6404899

>>6404889
Have your entire story take place after the end of the history of your world.

>> No.6404904

>>6404889
Just start writing

Don't worry about chronology yet, you obviously have something you want to say, so just start saying it

Worry about ordering it later

Just. Start. Writing.

>> No.6404919

You don't like stories, don't bother trying to write stories. Why the hell do you want to write a story that takes place in that world? Isn't it absolutely obvious that what you really wanted was to imagine that world all along? Your work is over, sell that world to an RPG or whatever or go thinking of a new world entirely different from that one. Move on.

>> No.6405559

the three act structure is the basic level of plotting. i'd recommend mckee's story, syd field, and save the cat.

>> No.6405658

Think about the most interesting parts of the history of your world. What was a significant historical event? What was an important war, battle, or environmental catastrophe? Write your story from the eye of the storm, from atop a mountain, in the most interesting, climactic parts. It's like, if I were to write a book that would explain all of human history to an alien race, I'd go for the period between 1930-1991. I'd write about WWII, the Dustbowl, the Great Depression, the Beat Generation, the Hippies, the Marxist movements, the Civil Rights movement, feminism, drugs, immigration, etc.

For us, I think, the 20th century is a good way to explain everything else because there were a lot of turning points. Find that time frame within your own world and make it a disastrous age of war and chaos or a Golden Age of competition or a decadent dystopian nightmare or an exciting utopian thriller, or SOMETHING , anything!!! Try something different! Go out there! Whether from the perspectives of peasants or politicians, write something that would impress yourself.