[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 114 KB, 606x853, based faulkner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6380940 No.6380940 [Reply] [Original]

"They endured." Okay, /lit/, so what am I supposed to make of this? And what are we supposed to make of this entire appendix? I had felt that the ending to the original text was a tad unsatisfying but I'm having trouble understanding where this appendix fits in with my interpretation of the entire book. Thoughts?

>> No.6380943

>>6380940
Start over, you ape cock

>> No.6380947

Each section is an attempt to articulate something but ends in failure. The appendix does the same.

>> No.6381816

>>6380940
>Okay, /lit/, so what am I supposed to make of this
As if it wasn't obvious enough, the blacks endured. They were normal, even though they led hard lives, they weren't fucked up like Benjy (in a mental sense), Jason the IIIrd (in a moral sense) or Jason the IVth. Nor were they slutty like Caddy and Quentin, or were obsessed with abstract concepts like Quentin.
The book is a metaphor for Christianity, and how it's better to be a christian than an atheist. Take a look at Jason the third and his views on life and see how he ends up, and compare it to Dilsey in the fourth part which is sensitive and also the only person which is keeping the family together.
I know my post won't be taken seriously by many here, but I don't give a fuck.