[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 44 KB, 257x390, La_nausee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6356974 No.6356974 [Reply] [Original]

I have a question about the book,
Why did Antoine defend Self-Taught Man in the Library when he was beaten?

>> No.6356990

>>6356974
b/c compassion is ethics

>> No.6357188

>>6356990
but he was touching kids man

>> No.6357196

Because it's fiction and that's how the author wanted the events to unfold.

>> No.6357202

maybe because he realized that whatever kept the Selt-Taught Man from becoming like Antoine died in that moment

>> No.6358323

>>6356974
up for more opinions

>> No.6358696

>>6356974
I think it's because he sympathizes with a man who is also struggling to find meaning in life, be it one that he disagrees with (humorously). He might've felt more compassion for a man he knows and on occasion felt like they might've been good friends, perhaps if he wasn't such a void that is, but when he did seek human connection I believe it was the self-taught man he sought at at one stage if I recall correctly. It's all just musings though, it could be whatever, I'm kinda curious now why you're lingering on this? Also what might have played a big part in his actions is that he isn't a man of morals, I don't think he really had any qualms about the other's actions (he was in fact more upset about how all the other spectators were just watching and hoping for the self-taught man to get fucked by his beloved society and perhaps the sad irony of his true calling for humanism betraying him and his grand standing ideology.

Sorry for the most-likely too many words, I get strangely wordy when I'm tired. I love this book by the way.

>> No.6358815

>>6358696
because that was a part where Antoine moved me, especially when he grabbed The Corsican. I expected that Antoine just looked and laughed at the situation, but he took action and I think that it was heroic, I don't know why.