[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 134 KB, 632x475, witt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6354885 No.6354885 [Reply] [Original]

Did this motherfucker solve philosophy or not? Who disagrees with him?

>> No.6355005

Are you talking about Young (Tractatus) or Old (Investigations)?

In the former case, EVERYONE, including himself. For example, Kurt Gödel proved in the 1930s mathematically that it's impossible to logically explain a system from the point of view of the system itself completely, arguably discarding Wittgenstein's method. Wittgenstein himself simply realized that human language encompassed and consisted of far more than true/false sentences.

In the latter, most philosophers. It's a chaotic work with next to no final conclusions. From my knowledge though, his argument against metaphysics (the private language argument) and to an even larger degree his criticism of the possibility of making final definitions are very popular among contemporary philosophers. Arguably it was also the first postmodern philosophy in that truth seems to depend on the language you're operating within.

Hope this made sense/helped!

>> No.6355025

>>6355005
>his argument against metaphysics (the private language argument)
Could you explain how the two relate?

>> No.6355032 [DELETED] 

>>6355005
>Kurt Gödel proved in the 1930s mathematically that it's impossible to logically explain a system from the point of view of the system itself completely, arguably discarding Wittgenstein's method

That is literally impossible

>> No.6355072

>>6355025

According to Wittgenstein, from what I gather, language presupposes a social community. So when you go, "I think, therefore I am," all you've really proved is that your social community thinks you do. Or perhaps more faithfully to Wittgenstein, you are misusing common language to develop, through wordplay, a completely fictitious philosophy.

>>6355032

He was just crazy awesome. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/goedel-incompleteness/

>> No.6355077 [DELETED] 

>>6355072
>He was just crazy awesome. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/goedel-incompleteness/

absolute trash

>hey guys look at me im playing mathematician i solved philosophy!

>> No.6355095

>>6355077

If you can dent that shit, you're going to be the next great analytic philosopher.

>> No.6355161
File: 1.23 MB, 912x905, super golden lel 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this thread

>> No.6355209

When I see philosophers like Wittgenstein or McDowell described as having a 'therapeutic' vision for philosophy I imagine them giving people massages.

>> No.6355222

>>6354885
Wittgenstein does. Also he was gay and autistic

>> No.6355237

In any case, disputation can clearly be shown to continue long after a matter ought to have been settled, no?

And people have been unanimously incorrect time and time again.

Back to the books, OP, there's no shortcuts to truth.

>> No.6355243
File: 115 KB, 358x495, @ (1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We are living in the post-philosophy age

>> No.6355245

>>6355072
The incompleteness theorems only apply to arithmetic founded in set theory founded in logic you retard. Don't overreach

>> No.6355255

>>6355245

Are you some kind of idiot?
Incompleteness is the mathematical equivalent of quantum mechanics. It means whatever the hell would be useful for your thesis, and you're under no obligation to explain that relationship in precise terms.

Personally, I think Incompleteness suggests that human knowledge is trivial, and that we should all become as ignorant as possible to decrease that triviality and become more important.

>> No.6355285

>>6355245

Are you certain? I'm not saying it definitely eliminates the Tractatus, but can it not be reasonably argued that it challenges his theory, being founded in logic after all?

>> No.6355312

>>6355285

Not the dude you're talking to but:

while it's possible and one can grasp the intuition behind such an idea, one would have their work cut out for them if they wanted to show it at a level of rigor either Godel or Wittgenstein would have accepted-- this is a massive undertaking.

>> No.6355327

>>6355243
ya man totally

>> No.6355352

>>6354885
How the fuck could you possibly SOLVE the pursuit of wisdom?

>> No.6355375
File: 217 KB, 491x700, 42508893eef00ede599e55f9499f2187.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Did this motherfucker solve philosophy or not?

Yes. This book is the end of philosophy.

>> No.6355553

>>6355285
No, Gödel's incompleteness theorems have no consequence for Wittgenstein's logical metaphysics

>> No.6355557 [DELETED] 

Mozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-Minor

NERDS THINK THEY CAN SOLVE PHILOSOPHY WITH MATH

Mozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-Minor

GO BACK TO MATH CLASS U FUCKKIN NERDS

Mozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-Minor

>> No.6355564

>>6355072
Kind of like how people misuse common language when they argue for the existence of free will?

>> No.6355565

>>6355255
>Incompleteness is the mathematical equivalent of quantum mechanics.

What? Incompleteness has nothing to do with probabilities. All it means is that math is fundamentally a subjective phenomenon, it can't be reduced to pure objectivity (e.g., the Hilbert program)

>> No.6355573

>>6355557
anon your pills

>> No.6355575

>>6355557
>NERDS THINK THEY CAN SOLVE PHILOSOPHY WITH MATH

Both Mathematics and Epistemological / Ontological Philosophy are languages.

>> No.6355591 [DELETED] 

>>6355573
>>6355575
Mozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-Minor

IM LAUGHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW

Mozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-MinorMozart's Fantasy No. 4 in C-Minor

>> No.6355907

Inspired by recurring retarded threads like this I propose a new invokable principle which I hereby dub Anon's law: As a discussion concerning Wittgenstein and rest of the Vienna Circle super stars, formal systems, mathematics, logic and related philosophical issues grows longer, the probability of someone misinterpreting Gödel's theorems approaches one.

>> No.6355933

>>6355553
How is there room in his theory for mathematical truths that aren't tautologies?

>> No.6355938

>>6355565
>All it means is that math is fundamentally a subjective phenomenon, it can't be reduced to pure objectivity (e.g., the Hilbert program)
No.

>> No.6355953

>>6355255
>Incompleteness is the mathematical equivalent of quantum mechanics. It means whatever the hell would be useful for your thesis
No. Incompleteness means that there are some problems that math cannot resolve. A limit on the boundary conditions of math's applicability, derived by mathematical methods itself.

>>6355565
>All it means is that math is fundamentally a subjective phenomenon
Of course not.

>> No.6356010

>>6355933
>>6355255

No mathematician thinks in this way. Modern math start with axioms in propositional calculus, which is roughly syllogistic + predicate logic. Almost all math you've seen will be constructed from ZFC which has traditionally been controversial, and there certainly are anti-foundation axioms contesting those. With ZFC you are able to generate axioms of a probability space, for example, from which to compute probability and etc.

The Incompleteness theorems apply to arithmetic formal systems, and the construction of Godel Numbers is already specified to mapping metamathematical statements to numbers. Yes foundational logic is involved to justify math, but Godel is speaking in a tighter scope of logic than Wittgenstein.

>> No.6356080

>>6355095
>>6355072
why is >>6355077 deleted and what did he say? did it have something to do with goedels?
i fucking love goedels.
goedel escher bach ist nice or a film called The Net which also refers to it.
Godel proves not only the insolvability of given sentences. e.g. i am a liar, but also proves that you can create meaning by analogy between different formal systems which hofstadter says is ultimately consciousness and when you read zizek and hegel closely you could find an analogy there to the selfreflexivity of the void and the "setzen der voraussetzungen"

>> No.6357945

>>6355243
I thought this for a while but now I think that in a few decades, someone will show up and turn shit on its head like many people have before.

>> No.6358059

whats the main difference between old Witty and young wittgey?

Doesn't he pretty much just say tautologies are a big no no?

>> No.6358070

neither. he was not trying to engage in the debate, he was just trying to clarify its significance.

>> No.6358123

>>6358059
Young Witty: massive fact/value distinction - only facts can be said, values can't be said at all. "Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent."

Old Witty: No fact/value distinction. In fact, no inherent distinctions AT ALL. There can be no such thing as a philosophical theory. Philosophy ought to be more like anthropology with a therapeutic purpose. "We must do away with all explanation, and description alone must take its place".

>> No.6358178

>>6358123
What sets Late Wittgenstein apart from the Post Modernists?

>> No.6358345

>>6358178
You'll have to narrow that question down for a proper answer. Although generally he shares with Derrida an anti-essentialism and anti-foundationalism. I think he'd dislike Foucault's suspicion and resentment of everything; Witty was suspicious of suspicion.

>> No.6358944

>>6355375
are you certain of this?

>> No.6358971

He said philosophy asked the wrong questions because it was getting mixed up in language games

>> No.6359004

>>6355072

>getting euphoric over using Goedel in a framework it doesn't belong to

Please take your pills already

>> No.6359102

>>6355255
Another faggot on /lit/ pretending to understand quantum mechanics. I bet you think if you put a cat in a box it'll be dead and alive at the same time.

>> No.6359409

>>6359102
>taking obvious b8
I thought people could read on the literature board

>> No.6359416

He's an analytic. He has some good ideas on meaning and all that but ultimately there's no "scientific" way to study politics or ethics, so he still hasn't ended philosophy for all subjects.

>> No.6359452

>>6359416
>ultimately there's no "scientific" way to study politics or ethics, so he still hasn't ended philosophy for all subjects.
"Ethics and aesthetics are one."

>> No.6359491
File: 482 KB, 791x1026, c136.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6359102
I think most posters here don't believe in metaphysics