[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 255 KB, 1028x845, benjamin05[2].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6330706 No.6330706 [Reply] [Original]

>Put off by the lifeless productions of academic writing and career jostling.
>Disgusted by post-fordist service jobs.

I know most of you out there are probably still college students but for you guys who have been out of school for a while and don't just consider literature to be a "hobby," what is left? As of now, I've picked up on a minimal responsibility, low hour job that though paying little, allows me to subsist, put some away for a month's worth of non-work, and read for hours a day.

Is this it for those of us who don't want a career?

>> No.6330718

I always thought this was the definition of a 'bourgeois lifestyle'(?)

>> No.6330740

>>6330706
Are you writing as well? If not then no I don't see an alternative aside from being rich, and if you aren't writing then literature is most certainly just a hobby for you, no matter how important it may be.

>> No.6330764

>>6330706
Get a job.
Join the union.
Shoot your boss.

>> No.6330782

>>6330740
I write "creatively" in spurts, though am constantly working on notes towards some pieces of "theory" (please excuse the terminology, but philosophy or literary criticism don't suffice).

I have an urge to participate in academic discourse but what matters culture and civilization when the world is hungry (metaphorically and otherwise). Other societal arrangements seem to have had pathways for people like me (desert mystics, cynics, monastics, heretics, wandering sages, pilgrims) but I don't see much of that left in contemporary society.

>> No.6330789

>>6330782
Yeah I agree. That's the major hole in modern capitalism - that every man must carry his weight, even when it could (and most often is) carried already by the few who produce. Most labor is unnecessary, and only exists out of an idea of its necessity.

>> No.6330817

>>6330782

you know monastics were from the upper classes right? You had to hand over lands or money to get your son into a monastery unless it was an exceptional charity case. There's also nothing stopping you from being a cynic or hermit or whatever either. They didn't live comfortable lives then and there's nothing stopping you from leading a similar life as a homeless person now.

>> No.6330832

>>6330706
Just wait until the robots take over productions and basic income will be implemented.

>> No.6330839

>>6330817
I mean monasticism before papal involvement and recuperation. There's a great deal that stops one from living a homeless life. Constant police harassment, subtle and not so subtle methods of limiting where one can sleep (ever wonder by cement ledges have metal dividers or why benches have "arm rests"?).

In my town, all the non-mentally ill homeless are daily harassed by the police who consistently come around and enforce obscure legal codes for which they let others slide easily.

>> No.6330844
File: 56 KB, 800x900, 1414129614256.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6330782
>desert mystics, cynics, monastics, heretics, wandering sages, pilgrims
I get that they're not exactly everywhere today, but theoretically, how could a recent uni grad pursue the solitary and labor-free lifestyle? I've thought up a few avenues but I'm not too sure about them. Here's one that I jotted down the other day:

>teach English overseas (preferably Korea) and save money while writing
>amass wealth until I can budget a solid couple years in either Thailand, Vietnam, Spain, Czech Rep., Argentina, Chile, or some other inexpensive living place
>do my own thing until I'm projected to run out of money
>repeat until death or priorities change

Please tear this plan to shreds and help me build something that's going to work.

>> No.6330845

>>6330844
Why Korea and not Japan? I've thought of the same, but doing it in Japland.

>> No.6330846
File: 102 KB, 680x704, 1379289823420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6330844
also, I'm aware that my plan isn't exactly a 'labor free lifestyle' but it's the closest thing I could imagine.

>> No.6330850

>>6330845
I'm half Korean. Japland looks fun and gorgeous and all, but I feel like being hapa and part Korean would only hurt my experience there.

>> No.6330854

>>6330844
>teach English overseas (preferably Korea) and save money while writing
Pretty sure this is what most people want to do so you will have huge competition.
Also how much do you think English teachers earn?

>> No.6330870

>>6330839

>anti homeless devices

I looked that up and that's pretty inhumane but I don't think life would have been much easier hundreds or thousands of years ago.

>> No.6330879

>>6330817
This is untrue. At the very least the origins of monasticism are the Fathers of the Desert in mid third century Egypt. They were ermits. Later, monasticism in Europe started out as living the monastic lifestyle (charity, chastity, prayer, nosex etc) in a secular environment
Then the tradition of erimitism (is that a word in english) came through to Europe via the works of fourth-century monks.
The early monasteries in Gaul were little better than tents huddled around a dead saint's grave. It was later that monasteries really became upper class, in the fifth century. But even then you could score a place for your kids in one of them, even if you were poor.
The monastic school for peasants is often forgotten, but it has existed.

>> No.6330882

>>6330854
Not much. I looked at a bunch of blogs of people who taught overseas (mainly K and J) and the general consensus was that I could earn more than enough to keep tidy, as long as I was frugal and avoided binge drinking with my colleagues, though I'm sure that's the most golden picture and that reality's a little shittier.

Do you have any other suggestions as to careers? Or other areas that have a demand for English teachers? Majoring specifically in English btw

>> No.6330894

>>6330882
Why not Europe?

>> No.6330903

>>6330879

k fine. yeah eremite is a word in english

>> No.6330991

>>6330706
I chose not to go into academia. Sometimes I regret since I was already accepted into a PhD program, but other days not so much. Now I have a shitty low paying job where I edit academic articles. I've tried to get better jobs in any other field, but they are hard to come by.

>> No.6331191

>>6330740
just like the comma is not one of yours

>> No.6331247

>>6331191
lol

>> No.6331270

>>6330845
Japan is flooded with English teachers, mate. Better off going to some place where the chances of getting shot are higher.

>> No.6331756

>>6330894
if you're not a citizen of an EU-member state, good luck getting a work visa to teach english

>> No.6331807

>>6330844
there's nothing really wrong with this plan, but you'd probably be just as well living and working somewhere that you want to be while writing. as nice as having the entire day at your disposal to write, most writers don't write for more than four hours a day.

what i'm saying is, work serious writing into a healthier lifestyle that includes work, friends and lovers. there's no point making your life miserable so that you can be the next big literary superstar, which is unlikely anyway

>> No.6331813

>>6330832
this will be the best day of my life

>> No.6331820

>>6330882
I taught in Korea for a couple years. You'll get about 2300/month + free apartment and some plane tickets. The difficulty of the work depends on where you go -- you might just be a white face in a room telling people to repeat things, or you might be in a place where you have to actually teach.

If you all like reading as much as you say you do, it's time to go get Master's degrees and PhDs, because that's the only way you're going to be able to get a 'reasonable income' and have the amount of free time that you need

>> No.6331825

>>6330854
You can get a job in Korea immediately if you have your visa documents prepared. You'll be especially well-liked if you're not a loud and fat moron

>> No.6332047

>>6331820
>If you all like reading as much as you say you do, it's time to go get Master's degrees and PhDs, because that's the only way you're going to be able to get a 'reasonable income' and have the amount of free time that you need

Yes. It's also probably the best way to meet more or less like-minded people. And it gives you access to the best libraries. Academia seems like the obvious option, unless you're independently very wealthy (and even then it might be the best option).

Not all academic writing has to be lifeless, and you don't have to career jostle if you don't want to. At worst, write 'lifeless' stuff until you get tenure, then work on what you want for the rest of your life.

Do you have some other reason to avoid academia, OP?

>> No.6332088
File: 210 KB, 1179x742, 1409353478709.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6332047
Because I'm too stupid to be a graduate student. And frankly, the student life is probably one of the most stressful and infuriating things, especially where I go. The goal is to escape it and focus on my own happiness and well being.

I'm probably going to blitz-apply to every country I know of that needs English teachers and hope one accepts me.

>> No.6332098

Reminder that the discipline of service and obedience is essential to self-consciousness and only the discipline of service enables the conscious being to master himself.

>> No.6332117

>>6332047
I'd like academia (and am actually looking into MA or MA + PHD programs).

The issue is that while I have a decent GPA and went to a good BA program and could probably do well enough on the GRE, I didn't manage to make the kind of academic connections that get one into the real top programs.

I'm working now on developing a couple strong writing samples to make up for it and want to get in touch with faculty at programs who are doing research in topics I find interesting.

But it most definitely is lifeless. I've sat through enough grad and post-doc presentations on revolutionary thinkers to know that it's lifeless.

>> No.6332132

>>6332088
it's not really about being smart, if you have a legitimate passion for literature then you should be capable of getting at least a masters.

>the student life is probably one of the most stressful and infuriating things, especially where I go
Then go somewhere else, maybe you can't get into Oxford, but you can probably find somewhere where the student life consists of just reading and talking about books. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMsuqIuXoc

>> No.6332142

>>6332117
I know everything in this post all too well. It physically pains me that I want to continue my studies in a rigorous and disciplined way but mixed within it all is this Kafkaesque, bureaucratic bullshit (in my experience anyways). Based on people I've talked to and what I've actually experienced, it's all number crunching, paper work filing, and other tedious activities on top of the ridiculous workload.

Feels really, really bad.

>> No.6332176

>>6330706
>I have a plan, im about to start my Bachelors thesis in the Netherlands.
>After University I want to teach English in china, and then a year in korea to save money for a masters.
>Do a masters degree in Social Sciences in Berlin. Teach english online and copywrite partime.
>Quick six months in Oman teaching English to save up some quick money
>Spend most of said money on a round the world trip
>Move to some hipster city in the US with cheap rent
>support self by copywriting and tutoring english online
>spend spare time writing short stories and pop-social science books, hopefully get published
>Either way after a few years buy a small Homestead in South America
>support self either tutoring english part time or hopefully writing for a living
>grow copious amounts of cannabis and eat nice food in the sun

>> No.6332538
File: 3 KB, 93x125, 1426743594348s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why cant we all just sit around all day and do nothing but read books?

>> No.6332556
File: 100 KB, 366x567, HegelAbsolut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6332538

>> No.6332607
File: 43 KB, 726x550, 1412654251061.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6332176
>Cartel/Nationalist government comes to your Homestead to confiscate your property, rapes your wife, burns your children, and throws you in prison
>While in prison you browse /fit/ and learn 67 martial arts
>You leave prison and single-handedly bring down the group that did you wrong, and are forever memorialized in the history of the nation
>You retire back to your homestead and live a lonely bachelor lifestyle thinking of your dead wife and children

>> No.6332615
File: 3 KB, 125x124, 1426914297182s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6332556
I reallly reaaaallly like this image

>> No.6332622

Btw guys while several people have mentioned the academia route, no one has mentioned becoming a teacher at a primary or secondary school. Your class-time will probably be about 40 hours/week (minus breaks) and you may have to do about 5-10 hours/ week of tedious grading/reading shitty essays, but that leaves quite a few hours left over to pursue your /lit/erary interests.

Also, teacher income for a bachelor is quite substantial. I had a teacher who was autistic and unmarried in his late 40s and he traveled to Europe every year and owned a Mercedes.

>> No.6332626

>>6332556
Did Hegel drink alcohol? Does anyone know?

>> No.6332727

>>6332622
Also, you might actually find a couple of students who arent complete fucking cancer. Teaching English can be good, especially at higher ages.

>> No.6332773

>>6332622
>>6332727

My high school english teacher taught at that level for only five years and said me and a classmate were the only two students she liked and found the pressure put onto her by the school and teachers to be insane and the amount of marking and extra curricular stuff she was expected to do filled her day, leaving her with no free time, and this was at a private school, so it's supposed to be better than most. She quit and went to teach at a university in Romania and said it's the best thing she ever did.

>> No.6332804

>>6332088
You don't really need to be smart to be a grad student. You just have to show up on time every day and do all of your work.

>>6332622
Are you a teacher in a public school? I'm doing a cert now and it seems like a horrible job in terms of stress and time commitment

>> No.6332820

>>6332622
yeah, if you teach in the nyc public schools they have a super strong union, you basically have to be a child molester to get fired and then after like 20 years you get a big ass pension then move to new jersey and teach there for another 20 years and retire ballin out with two fat pensions all on the tax payer dime...

>> No.6332836

where do all that extra hours of job come from for hs teachers? I know it's a really exploitative job but I don't know why.

>> No.6332849

>>6332836
well some dumbass teachers actually think you have to like take grading seriously, but the secret to productive grading is you give the kids you like and are well behaved good grades and you give the obnoxious black kids in the back bad grades, no one with tenure union job should be wasting time actually reading shitty student writing when they get home at night, let the standardized tests sort em out

>> No.6332869

>>6332820

This is what Republicans actually believe.

>> No.6332873

>>6332849
But I could read and grade 30 2 pages reports in an hour. The kids aren't juggling complex synthax structures and getting inspiration from 18th century philosophy books, you just mark the stupid parts and assign a generic grade. Even easier with exams.
>grading works (weekly) 4 hours (imagining a lot of work)
>being in class (weekly) between 2 and 4 hours
What else is there? Union reunions shouldn't count because you go there to get pussy and relax arguing stupid shit.

>> No.6332878

>>6332869
it's what i believe from direct life experience of working in education in the region, but you can still write an essay arguing it's not true based on your life in elite private schools and gated communities and extensive tumblr experience

>> No.6332885

>>6332878
Am I supposed to believe a person on 4chan who uses a trip and calls themselves 'real talk nigga'?

>> No.6332887

>>6332873
>But I could read and grade 30 2 pages reports in an hour. The kids aren't juggling complex synthax structures and getting inspiration from 18th century philosophy books, you just mark the stupid parts and assign a generic grade. Even easier with exams.

that's my point dipshit, skim the shit, if he's asian give him an A, if he's black send it back with "redo", then fire up the big screen tv and catch a Breaking Bad rerun

>> No.6332896

>>6332885
well there are always some naive young female teachers who last 2-5 years before they marry some rich guy and quit to have babies for him, but the long term teachers are all in it for the fat pensions, bro. this is an anonymous cartoon forum, there's no need to talk falsely here

>> No.6332903

>>6332885
names aren't trips, dumbfuck

>>6332887
But even trying and caring, it can't take that much time to read two pages written by a teen. There's just no way.

>> No.6332910

>>6332896
>there's no need to talk falsely here
And yet that's what most of the people here do.

>> No.6332919

>>6332896
>there's no need to talk falsely here
there's only need for Real Talk Nigga®

>> No.6332959

Have MA in English literature.
Work Nightshift security at factory.
All I have to do is walk around the factory grounds once every 90mins and keep half an eye on security cameras.
3x12hr shifts per week.
Spend shift reading and shitposting.
Spend days off writing.

£9.50 per hour.

Got a couple of writer friends who work on oil rigs. 2weeks on and 3-4 weeks off

>> No.6333341

>>6332903
Yea I agree.

To all of the people who keep saying teachers have a terrible workload and whatnot, do you care to elaborate?

Most of the teachers I knew in high school had the class do about 20 graded assignments per quarter. Each quarter was 9 weeks long, so there was a total of a little over 2 assignments per week.

Obviously these assignments vary, but even if it was making the kids write a 10 page research paper, have any of you ever actually read a 10 page research paper? It takes all of 5 minutes or less. So even the longest possible assignment there is takes a few hours to grade for all your classes.

Teacher workload is not high and the perks are cool--

1. The ego-trip of kids who will basically worship you if you are even a little bit nice to them
2. Pretty comfy work environment--you can customize your room to your desires and decorate with interesting posters, maps, and memorabilia.
3. You have a small amount of influence on the students' life trajectories, which is satisfying.
4. You get to observe the drama of high school relationships and sports again for shits and giggles.

Teaching overall seems like quite a comfy job and I'm considering pursuing it for myself.

>> No.6333364

>>6333341
I'm sure there are other demands, like keeping track of the kids or weekly reworking the syllabus to pretend you have some control over the rhythm of the class. But adding that and all the small things like dealing with superiors and what not I can't imagine it as more stressful than being a grad student. The fact that so many teachers are failed grad students sort of cements that in my mind.

>> No.6333372

>>6333364
What are the prospects for grad students? Everything I've heard and read indicates that the prospects for getting a tenured position--especially in the humanities--are slim to none and getting smaller.

>> No.6333373

>>6330706
blogging/writing clickbait

>> No.6333375

>>6332088
>student life is probably one of the most stressful and infuriating things

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this. It's done a lot of damage to my potential future because I enjoy it so little and feel like I get nothing from being a student even though I would love to. And this is at a top 10 university in the UK too, so I'm sure it's like that everywhere.

>> No.6333392

>>6333375
Agreed. I'm a student at a middling/low-tier public school in America (University of Alabama) and it's a struggle to get through a semester without contemplating suicide.

>> No.6333465

>>6333373
>have PhD in philosophy
>lauded work re interpreting Spinoza under a Hegelian light
>write click bait
I'd read a novel about that character.

>>6333372
academia is hard as fuck to get in, usually it's more connections and luck that anything else. my college has changed profesors once in the last 10 years, only because the previous one died and they didn't chose any of the assistant professors she had but some recently graduated guy who can barely give a class. We have a class that has 20 students while the alternative has over 1000 and everyone knows to avoid the first one because it sucks (the professor in the second one even uses the exchange as a threat when people don't like his class) and there is no indication that they're gonna kick him out any time soon (and if they do no one will hear about the open position).
Still, even if it's something like phil. or language a grad title CAN be useful. Not for a blue collar job but PR or a bottom position in politics or something else, you'd have to think it throgh.

>>6333375
>>6333392
I guess some people are really better at it. Even with subjects that interest me, I find it really hard to keep up with the rollercoaster of work and never knowing exactly what I should be doing
>we couldn't tell you the full reading until a week before the exam
>we might include some more texts but we'll see
>that wasn't part of the requiered reading but you should had known it was going to the exam
>you're work isn't perfect even if we can't tell you why and you should be happy that we gave you an 80%
>I'm letting you pass this class and you should be grateful even if I won't explain what was missing in the work
And having some piece of shit who won't even pretend to care about the class demand that you compensate the complete lack of teaching gets me so mad.
On top of all, and this I really hope is just an issue with my college, no one will explain to you how to prepare a proper academic text and try to get it published until you're 3 or 4 years into and you have to practicly become a close friend with a teacher for him to even look at your stuff. The academic publications we have are a joke, too. Clearly just there to add something to their CVs and hoping no one will read the cheap ramblings and rehashed quotes they say each class. There isn't a single student being given a chance, not even the ones who dedicate years to sucking up. They can't even create the illusion of respectability, they know it and they don't give a fuck.

I'm sorry, /rant

>> No.6333474

>>6333372
3 books (15 journal articles).

Don't even bother.

>> No.6334088

>>6333392
>6332088
I feel for you. I went to high school in Georgia and am very familiar with the culture of this particular institution.

>> No.6334110

>>6330764
>becoming part of the proletariat just so that yu can partake in proletarian uprising

That's not how "furthering the workers' cause" works anon. You have to care about workers, not simply be too bored to think of anything else. Do people on /pol join ISIS so that they can joke around "remove kebab" meme ?

>> No.6334137

>>6334110
I was born a worker, and I am still a worker. I care about ourselves.

>> No.6334179

>>6330844
Don't know about others but I wouldn't call Argentina particularly inexpensive when it comes to living costs. The rest of south america (with a few exceptions) is a lot cheaper. Argentina is better to live in, though.

You could also learn another language and teach that in the US. Brazilian universities are not paid and I know there are other countries with free education, you could try that too.

>> No.6334198

>>6334179
Man, in argentina I live with U$S400 monthly and am pretty fine. The thing is that the salaries make it proportionally end up being like living in a first world country when it isn't; but if he gets payed in dollars it would be pretty nice.

>> No.6334204

>>6333341
You forgot the most importants parts. It depends heavily on where you teach but there are:

1. The students. Basically kids raised in a popular culture where you are the meanie/boring person/domineering authority figure and they get social bonus points for going against you.

The kids aren't the worse things, tho. They're just being kids after all, and in particular that implies that, sometimes, they're smart, curious, and surpringsly quick-witted. Now there is worse than the kids:

2. The parents. Like their offspring, but with less genuine openess, more entitlement, deeper bias and actual power. Twenty years of frustration, disillusionment and pented anger have turned them into rougher, meaner, bitterer version of their kids, and with the constitutional rights to back it up. To them, you are the culprit. They didn't care to pick up their 10 years old kids at school twice this week-but why do YOU keep not giving them A's ?

Don't forget the parent's ever faithful accomplice:

3. The Administration. Education Administration, following the time-tested Chinese practice of making eunuques out of civil servant from low backgrounds, requires that anybody with more authority than a second assistant vice-librarian be deprived of male genitalia. As a consequence, you'll never see a school headmaster stand up to a dumb parent and back up a teacher, as that would require balls and might unadvertently benefitting the quality of the school's education.

Finally there's the icing on the cake:

4. Everyone believes you're the entitled bottom-feeder of a dysfunctional and inhumane system, which you are, except you don't actually get fed that much.

And I'm not even a teacher.

>> No.6334212

>>6334137
>I was born a worker

Wait, this is starting to sound like a "thug life choose me" rap motivational song for gangster but with union hard-liners instead.

>> No.6334222

You guys make me fucking sick. "LOL SHOULD I JUST WORK THIS SERF JOB OR THIS OTHER SERF JOB WHILE I PRETEND IM A WRITER WHICH IS A CHILDS EXCUSE OF PROLONGING A DEFENSE MECHANISM ACTUAL ACCOMPLISHMENT SHOULD HAVE OBLITERATED YEARS AGO." Define "accomplishment." Kill yourself.

Listen, you have a brain. You're capable of doing a lot of research about a lot of different things, and if you have a job you can order the parts. Get creating. And yes it involves giving up your infantile position against violence.

>> No.6334245

>>6334222
I don't understand your proposition.

>> No.6334250

>>6334222
we can tell when you put your posts through google translate

>> No.6334283

>>6334245
What I'm proposing doesn't have a list of steps, unlike every other media piece people like you lust after. "8 ITEMS EVERY ALPHA MALE SHOULD OWN" I'm just kidding, I know you don't read shit like that, you're smart. After all, you've read X, Y, and Z.

But really. I'm suggesting that the underlying conditions which make threads like this so common are what should inspire you to be creatively violent, rather than "creatively" complacent. And I stress the creative. At Occupy Oakland they "shut down" the ports, and that was the dumb people. Imagine if you actually acted on your "convictions" and really took the time out to think critically and strategically about how to interrupt what is making countless other people miserable. I can't tell you what to do or how to think. Cue memes which slip you right back into Pavlovian dismissal. "Edgy." Etc. Whatever, it's your life. You're going to die in a few decades. What are you doing putting up with this shit? And don't tell me you plan on raising children while being such a cuckolded bitch boy beta male. "I don't believe in PUA terms like that." Dismissal granted. Back to the fantasy. Ding ding.

>> No.6334318

>>6334283
Why am i replying to this shit post?

>> No.6334324

>>6334318
Because the part of you which isn't in extreme denial wishes he could fuck it.

>> No.6334325

>>6334212
90% plus of the human population is born a worker. The value form chose you, Pikachu.

>> No.6334327

>>6334283
Why did you have to finish with beat/alpha divisions when you start talking about paramilitary action? You should try to think your argument before puking whatever idea comes to mind.

>> No.6334344

>>6334325
>Pikachu
>mfw I actually posted Pikachu in another thread not more than five minutes ago

Are you a wizard ?

Also, I'm an upper-middle-class parasite on his way to become a lower-middle-class parasite, so i'm okay. I don't think I'll object when you behead for the sake of the Revolution, but I hope you guys make it fun.

>> No.6334362

>>6334327
Whatever dumb reason you have for not liking "beat/alpha divisions" is irrelevant to the content of my post. But, fuck it. It's worth antagonizing the kind of people who really hate those terms because the reasons they hate those terms is something they're better off confronting, and none of that legitimizes those terms. So there's your padding.

>> No.6334394

>>6334362
beta/alpha divisions are directly opposed to the thing occupy was trying to say, they were the betas of the economic world getting together and trying to be better as a mass.
You post reads like a lot of anger against everything and anything, just that.

>> No.6334413

>>6334394
>to the thing occupy was trying to say

I thought they didn't have a "thing" to say, were decentralized, etc. But, anyway, my point in bringing up Oakland was to bring up the only Occupy that I'm aware of which actually effected some kind of tangible change. It's the most recent manifestation of that which comes to mind.

>they were the betas of the economic world

So you are literally using the terms which are supposedly "directly opposed" to me using one facet of them as an example? I don't get it. I think you're putting too much stock into silly shit which doesn't matter and ignorning the one thing that does: that you're smart enough to do better than them (not a tall order to fill, I know). All it requires is patience and practice.

>> No.6334419

>>6334344
>upper-middle-class
Like arse your parents were CEO / CFOs.

>> No.6334555

>>6334419
Why is that hard to believe, im not the person you replied to but my mom is a CEO. Christ, not everyone is fucking poor.

>> No.6334574

>>6334555
did having an alpha female in your life help you end up like this, trips?

>> No.6334582
File: 87 KB, 684x576, Wned0se.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6334574
Actually she spent so much time travelling that we barely have a relationship. At least I have my trips though.

>> No.6334598

>>6334419
You don't need to be a CEO to be upper middle class. Although it's more like middle-middle class actually. My father is technically an excecutive, though it took him 12 years to reach the position and he hasn't really any power over anyone but himself.

>> No.6334607

>>6334555
>Christ
I one day hope to hang you with your parents entrails.

>> No.6334615

>>6330706

I was going to college on a full tuition Physics scholarship, planning to double major in Math and Physics and minor in Astronomy, but I quickly realized I hated college.

After my first semester, I dropped out and moved to a rural commune. I don't do much /lit/ related stuff, but life is good.

>> No.6334650
File: 6 KB, 249x200, tip3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6334607

>> No.6334654

>>6334650
really? that's the market brand V? Not this guy >>6334283

>> No.6335136

>>6333341
seems like shit

>>6333372
s'all red tape and politiks bruh

Now I don't even know what to do with my life. Teaching seems shit. What else can I do with a phil degree?

>> No.6335149

>>6332959
>Spend shift reading and shitposting.
How can you get away with it? Is it that lenient with yours or is it also like that in general?

Can you expound on how'd you get into the job? Any training needed?