[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 500x285, post-7693-you-miss-100-percent-of-the-sh-AVTz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6277621 No.6277621 [Reply] [Original]

Quotes thread?

>Many seem to think life is only temporary. They don't realise it is the most permanent thing you will ever experience.

>> No.6277631

I generally don't like quotations, or at least the way they get haphazardly consumed and displayed in social media.

This generation doesn't deserve aphorisms. It needs to dive into the books, page 1 to the end.

>> No.6277646
File: 32 KB, 453x500, a9e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6277631

that's an ironic quote

seriously though, there's plenty of great ideas expressed succinctly in a sentence or two that make nice quotes...

>> No.6277658

>>6277646

"The worst readers are those who behave like plundering troops: they take away a few things they can use, dirty and confound the remainder, and revile the whole.”

(This is when I gave up reading Nietzsche)

>> No.6277675

>>6277658

why did that make you give up?

>> No.6277702

>>6277675

Because I felt like I only understood 10% of what he was saying and jumped around an anthology looking for the juicy bits rather than reading them through.

Also because I was a teenager and bad at reading.

>> No.6277748

"You must understand. The leading Bolsheviks who took over Russia were not Russians. They hated Russians. They hated Christians. Driven by ethnic hatred they tortured and slaughtered millions of Russians without a shred of human remorse. [...] The fact that most of the world is ignorant and uncaring about this enormous crime is proof that the global media is in the hands of the perpetrators."

-Solzjenitsyn

>> No.6277755

>>6277748
wow he sounds schizo

>> No.6277760

>>6277702
Sounds like you agree with him more than anything.

>> No.6277772

"Don't just say you have read books. Show that through them you have learned to think better, to be a more discriminating and reflective person. Books are the training weights of the mind. They are very helpful, but it would be a bad mistake to suppose that one has made progress simply by having internalized their contents"
-Epictetus

>> No.6277856

"Some for renown, on scraps of learning dote,
And think they grow immortal as they quote."

-Bartlett's Familiar

>> No.6277873

Of necessity we remain strangers to ourselves, we understand ourselves not, in ourselves we are bound to be mistaken, for of us holds good to all eternity the motto, "Each one is the farthest away from himself" – as far as ourselves are concerned we are not "Knowers."

>> No.6277880

It was absolutely essential for her to reassure Elisabeth, for if one day Elisabeth were to decide to be completely sincere with herself, she might be terrified by what she discovered. This she must have feared herself, for her flashes of lucidity always stopped in time.

Simone de Beauvoir

>> No.6277887

"I know that my phrases are crude, I write them with too much love, and that love makes up for their faults, but too much love is bad for the work. This isn't a book because this isn't how anyone writes. Is what I write a single climax? My days are a single climax: I live on the edge."

Clarice Lispector