[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 75 KB, 250x335, buddha1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6272481 No.6272481 [Reply] [Original]

Is Theravada Buddhism like Stoic philosophy?

>> No.6272485

there are similarities although even with that they are extremely different from one another

>inb4 this turns into an entire thread not even related to OPs question where people just argue about stuff

>> No.6272508

>>6272485
That's what I thought. I was reading the differences between Mahayana and Theravada, and discovered Theravada is working towards more of yourself, rather than Mahayana, which is more for all sentient beings. Though I don't know the credibility of the source.

And yeah, happens every time, lol.

>> No.6272514

>>6272481
About the only thing I can think of is that both are non-theistic. I would be extremely cautious about sweeping statements of 'this is what Stoicism says, this is what Theravada says.'

>> No.6273666

It can be painful in a sense that if you went full monk-mode you have to renounce many things in your daily life, which could take a long time to get used to. But in the process you are inevitably pushing yourself to a painless (as in mental, not physical) state. And once you are at that state, there is nothing to be stoic about. So...idk.

Im pretty sure that Jainism is certainly more stoic in the long run. im not a pro at this stuff, just vaguely guessing

>> No.6274437

Stoicism and Epicurism were probably inspired by Buddhism, if they weren't the inspiration for it instead.

Both showed up after Alexander the Great.