[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 744 KB, 800x1069, jesus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6256111 No.6256111[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

there is noticeably a lot of christians that post on this board.

for my own personal curiosity, would any of you christ-posters mind replying to the following questions:

>what country do you live in
>what denomination do you belong to
>would you describe your political views as being conservative/right of center?
>are you a virgin/do you believe premarital sex is a sin?
>do you go to church/mass every sunday?
>who is your favourite christian writer/apologist/philosopher/etc
>what are your feelings towards atheists and other assorted non-believers that don't share your views?

>> No.6256118

>usa
>roman catholic
>fuck no, i'm left af
>no and no
>on occasion
>i don't know any but st john baptist de la salle was a p cool guy
>it's really none of my business

>> No.6256141

The American States of America
Roman Catholic
Generally left-leaning but I can't stomach most of the liberals/leftists I know, their rhetoric is too ridiculous and I don't really like moral relativism, which is a large part of what draws me to God
No, but I know I should
I haven't read enough of either of them to have a 'favorite' but probably St. Augustine or St. Thomas. I consider myself to be a philosophical Platonist whose views on the cosmology are completely in line with Catholic orthodoxy.
Atheists are missing out. The more vocal ones are particularly bad because they tend not to know what they're talking about. When I meet someone who disparages religion in general I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

I just had a conversion experience less than a year ago. I'm trying to become more virtuous, but I often fail, though I've given up smoking weed for Lent and I've gone longer without touching the stuff than I ever have when I've tried to take extended breaks for non-religious purposes. I'm taking small steps.

>> No.6256159

>>6256118
>>6256118
>cherry-picks which aspects of scripture he is obliged to believe/adhere to
>only goes to church on easter and Christmas eve

Yup he's a Catholic alright
I should know, I was raised in a Catholic household

>> No.6256184
File: 17 KB, 460x276, Saint-Augustine-by-Carava-007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256111

>United States
>Congregational, Protestant
>Conservative
>no and no
>yes, but this was not always the case
>St. Augustine
>only engage in religious debate if someone else initiates it. I have friends that are atheist, Jewish, Buddhist, etc... The only religion I'm somewhat hostile to is Islam.

>> No.6256191
File: 6 KB, 302x203, CTL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256111
> USA
> The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (yeah, I know other guys would say I'm not christian, but I think of myself as one)
> Definitely not. I choose the left (pic related)
> I'm not a virgin (got married nine months ago) and yes I do
> Yes
> I don't know of any outside of my faith. I'm open to recommendations.
> I'm kind of indifferent. I respect them and their lifestyle choices and views as long as they respect mine.

>> No.6256199

>>6256111
>christ-posters
it's actually
>christ-fags
>get it right

>> No.6256205

>>6256191
What exactly is the Mormon view on Christ? Are you Trinitarians?

>> No.6256208

USA
Nondenominational
I don't vote
Not a virgin but I believe sex before marriage is a sin
I go to church with my family for holidays
My favorite Christian philosopher is Meister Eckhart
Personally, I believe that all religions help people get past the phenomenal world and experience the numinous

>> No.6256211

>>6256159
>attacks the beliefs of others and just assumes he knows everything
yep it's an athiest

>> No.6256220

>USA
>Methodist
>Dirty commie (for the record, I can't stand liberalism/neo-liberalism)
>yes/no
>not in a decade
>fuck if I know
>let them believe what they want, they're people too

>> No.6256221

U.S.
Episcopal Church (Anglican Church in the U.S.)
No
I don't really think premarital sex is a sin, but random sex for mindless indulgence instead of an expression of love is something of a sin.
I do go to mass every Sunday
Joseph Butler
Depends on the atheist. I don't think atheist makes you a bad person, if that's what you're asking

>> No.6256230

>>6256111
USA
Anglican
Can't be bothered for the rest :^)

>> No.6256242

>>6256205

We believe Jesus Christ is a separate physical being from God the Father and the Holy Ghost. We believe that they are all three separate beings who are united in purpose.

>> No.6256255

>>6256211
What beliefs did I attack? What did I assume? Also not an atheist, which you ironically assumed. Nice job.

>> No.6256274

>>6256242
Interesting. Do you not have a concept like divine simplicity?

>> No.6256286

US
Protestant Methodist
Right of center
No/ My current gf does
Yes
Dostoevsky, St. Augustine
>what are your feelings towards atheists and other assorted non-believers that don't share your views?
I'm indifferent to others beliefs. If I knew they were atheist but were interested in my religion I'd gladly talk to them but I'd never do that street corner preaching garbage. I had this one friend who really hated the fact that I became Christian so he sent me Stephen Fry videos and Nietzsche quotes for 3 weeks until I stopped talking to him.

>> No.6256287

>>6256111
>>what country do you live in
USA
>>what denomination do you belong to
Roman Catholic (converted from shit non-denominational pop religion)
>>would you describe your political views as being conservative/right of center?
Yes.
>>are you a virgin/do you believe premarital sex is a sin?
No (I'm married) and yes, I do. Doesn't mean i didn't do it though.
>>do you go to church/mass every sunday?
I'd be lying if I said I go EVERY Sunday, but I go more often than not.
>>who is your favourite christian writer/apologist/philosopher/etc
Writer=Chesterton, Apologist=Aquinas, Philosopher=Kirkegaard (I'd say Dostoevsky, but he was never classified as a 'pure' philosopher.
>>what are your feelings towards atheists and other assorted non-believers that don't share your views?
New Atheism is a plague upon western civilization and the intelligence of the world in general. I can understand why other, more rational and non-polemical atheists don't believe and I sympathize. Engaging debate with truly intelligent and open minded atheist can be incredibly rewarding for both parties involved. I went through an atheist phase as well.

>> No.6256297

>>6256141
Also, not a virgin, premarital sex is sinful

>> No.6256299

>>6256274
We don't preach anything formal that coincides with that concept, no.

>> No.6256311

>>6256111
>USA
>Baptist i guess, but i don't care much for the differences
>moderate right i suppose. i have some left leaning views
>everybody sins, and therefore i have too
>my church streams a 1 hour service, and the pastor is not a nut, so i don't mind tuning in.
> i don't read much philosophy but i think Thomas Aquinas might be an interesting read. Maybe Pascal?
>i have no issue with people of differing beliefs as long as they give the mutual respect i would give them

>> No.6256317

>>6256111
>all this papist scum
fuck off lmao
Anglican church of north america reporting in

>> No.6256325

>>6256111
>United States
>I have been thinking very hard about becoming a Quaker and go to meetings sometimes. But I guess for now I have no denomination.
>No.
>Yes, I am a virgin. No, I do not think premarital sex is a sin.
>No. My favorite Quaker group is the one at home, by my mother's house. I am usually at school. The one here is pretty far away and I do not enjoy the experience as much, so my attendance is pretty spotty.
>I am not sure I have one? Maybe Tolstoy, if he counts. Mostly I just try to focus on experiencing God for myself. I practice Lectio Divina and try to read scripture often.
>I love other religious traditions, Christianity obviously involves some familiarity with Judaism and I have strong interest in the religions of India (Hinduism, Buddhism) and East Asian traditions (Confucianism, Daoism, Zen) and Sufism. The notion of atheism by itself does not bother me, some of the best people I have ever known have been atheists. It can be a little bit upsetting to me when people generally have zero interest in anything expressive/emotional/spiritual/abstract (like art, religion or philosophy, just anything), though.

>> No.6256327

>>6256317
>calling yourself a Christian then judging others in the same post

>> No.6256346

>>6256317
>Anglican church of north america reporting in

>implying you're not just a bastard inbred hick cousin of the patrician Holy Roman Apostolic Church

>> No.6256348

>>6256317
>Implying the Anglican Church has a purpose

>> No.6256349

>>6256327
>not stealing the eucharist wine to get drunk and shitpost all day
ayy lmao

>> No.6256367

>>6256349
That's not funny/ conversation provoking so why did you even post it.

>> No.6256369

>>6256317
> Being christian
> Criticize other christians on the christian thread

>> No.6256371

>>6256367
That's not funny/ conversation provoking so why did you even post it.

>> No.6256395

>>6256184
>the only religion I'm somewhat hostile to is Islam

yup he's an Americonservative alright

>> No.6256411

>>6256371
no u

>> No.6256444

the united states

catholic

no. i'd describe them as pro-revolutionary.

no, i'm not a virgin. yes, i believe pre-marital sex is a sin. however, i also believe God's mercy has no limits, and that a sorrowful heart is forgiven.

i try to make it to satuday vigil every week.

bonhoeffer, romero, gutierrez, cone, barth, augustine

it's complicated. if a person loves their neighbor, as in, acts for the well-being of their neighbor without the thought of reward, then i believe that this person is in some way a disciple of jesus christ in fact, though not in explicit intention. i think of the sacraments as channels of God's grace, and the church as the universal sacrament of salvation, though the church isn't merely institutional or earthly. the mystical body of christ extends beyond the boundaries of the institutional church - and i would never be such an ass as to declare that only baptized catholics are saved. i believe God is the God all humankind, of all reality, and that he loves the person who rejects him as much as he loves the person who doesn't. God will never fit inside of any box we try to put him in, and i hope for the salvation of all humankind.

other than that, i don't think about atheists

>> No.6256457

>Canada
>Christo-pagan
>nope, although I sympathize with (genuine) libertarians a lot. increasingly confused by/uninterested in the distinction
>yes/no
>I try, not that they wouldn't consider me a heretic anyway
>Zinaida Gippius, Kierkegaard, Ryukishi07
>we're all searching for truth (hopefully)

>> No.6256458

>>6256317
>DIY Christianity

heretic pls go and stay go

>> No.6256462
File: 174 KB, 499x499, Deuterocanonical.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256457
>Christo-pagan

Roman Catholic?

>> No.6256467

I used to be North American Anglican, but I haven't been to church in years. I've heard there's been some sort of gay shit going on with the clergy. Is this true?

>> No.6256468

>>6256191

you live in utah? loganite here

>> No.6256469

>>6256462
>>6256371
>>6256349
>>6256327
Are you just here to shitpost?

>> No.6256472

>>6256457
>>Christo-pagan
You can't be that. How do you deal with the fact that Christianity is monotheistic?

>> No.6256481
File: 87 KB, 291x299, 95.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256469
Are you?

>> No.6256498

>>6256468
Yeah! I'm from Salt Lake. Are you still here in Utah?

>> No.6256506

>>6256498

yep, representing the esteemed intellectual community of USU

>> No.6256508

>>6256325
You seem like a chill dudebro

>> No.6256515
File: 55 KB, 620x387, The-Pope_2514251b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

USA

Roman Catholic

No and yes. I consider myself very left-of-center on many, many issues. On the other hand, I am vehemently opposed to abortion, and I think communism is a crock of shit. To be more philosophical on the matter, I have begun to realize that the left-right dichotomy is ultimately un-Christian. Christians cannot be pigeonholed into modern politics, which are only as old as Hume and Rousseau.

I am a virgin. My views on sex are conflicted. I believe that sex is meant to cement the bond between married couples. On the other hand, I believe it is better to have unprotected sex than protected sex, even out of wedlock, simply because I believe that sex is meant to create life. On the other other hand, I realize that sex feels good, and is stimulating to those who partake in it. So maybe I am just a confused mess on the matter.

Yes. Also, being Catholic, I attend Mass on every Holy Day of Obligation. I also occasionally attend daily Mass, particularly if they are celebrating the feast day of one of my favorite saints.

>who is your favourite Christian writer/apologist/philosopher/etc
Augustine, without question. I love Aquinas, too, and Chesterton, but Augustine has won my heart with the beauty of his devotion in the Confessions. I also am a strong devotee to his Platonist-influenced theology, being an inherent Platonist myself.

On the one hand, it is unfortunate, for Christ called us to make disciples of all the nations; as long as there is one non-Christian in the world, I feel in some way that Jesus' mission has failed. On the other hand, God ordains all things. God sets the heavens in their course, God spins the atoms, God allows all life to exist by his consistent assent. Nothing happens but God allows it to happen. So, then, I wonder if atheists are not atheists because they serve some role in God's plan that I cannot see. It seems strange to me, but then, "the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength."

Also Francis is great and my hopes for Nicea III are high.

>> No.6256516

>>6256462
kek

I respect Catholicism about as much as I'm capable of respecting a massive oppressive institution though

>>6256472
same way I deal with the Trinity

>> No.6256522

>Macedonia

>Orthodox Christian

>Hard center most of the time, slightly to the right on a few social issues

>I'm a virgin, l believe pre-marital sex is a sin because The Bible says so(?), but l'd do it given the chance

>Nope, hardly go to Church, to be honest, except on Easter, Christmas, and maybe this or that feast day

>I dunno, l feel like it would be Augustine by default because l can't remember anyone else at 5 AM

>I don't really care as long as they keep those beliefs (or lack of) to themselves

>> No.6256526
File: 121 KB, 300x300, shig.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256516
>I respect Catholicism about as much as I'm capable of respecting a massive oppressive institution though

Same and St. Augustine is amazing.

>> No.6256529

>>6256506
Cool. I'm up here at the University of Utah, studying Computer Science and French. What are you studying?

>> No.6256537
File: 53 KB, 500x500, 62ceab58-fc4c-4bcd-8a8f-ea5e079d1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256111

USA
Catholic
Usually more conservative, but am liberal on stuff like immigration and drugs.
not a virgin, and believe premarital sex is a sin.
Not mass like I should, but I attend worship services regularly.
Blaise Pascal w/o a doubt
honestly i think they're missing out

>> No.6256551

>>6256529

History MA focused on the history of Czechoslovakia.

>> No.6256553

>Canada
>I have no clue, I just picked up the bible one day and found that it put my world views into context
>Libertarian
>Yes and no
>I might go one day, no one to go with though
>John from the gospels
>I don't care as long as they're not dicks and as long as they seek wisdom

>> No.6256562

usa
roman catholic
right leaning
no/sort of but i'll just say no
most, 2-3 times/month
>who is your favorite christian writer/apologist/philosopher/etc
Pascal/Aquinas
I fall along the lines of what C.S Lewis believes here.

>> No.6256563

I think the impression that there are a lot of christians here comes also from the fact that some people here are not retarded contrarians to it. I'm not christian and never was, but damn, lots of great christian thinkers, bro. Lots of great ideas there. Sweet stories too.

>> No.6256564

>>6256522
>but l'd do it given the chance
lol

>> No.6256566

>>6256551
That's cool. What pushed you that direction?

>> No.6256567
File: 371 KB, 500x375, winter is coming, charlie brown!.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>these Christians who don't go to Church/Mass every Sunday

It's only an hour, my brothers, an hour and a half at the absolute most. Surely you can take that time out of your lazy Sunday.

>> No.6256570

>>6256444
i should include that my take on abortion isn't satisfactory to the right or the left.

i believe that abortion is a sin. it's an abrogation of life.

however, the determined will, or the will coerced in degree has it's culpability reduced in degree. abortion is typically considered by the right wing to be a matter of personal and individual sin, and the left as a morally neutral act. both are wrong. overwhelmingly, the woman aborts out of desperation. instead of joy, they feel fear and anxiety, and this desperation is the fault not only of society, but of the church in failing to cultivate the conditions which enable the culture of life we seek to establish.

we can't declare the culture of life by the sword. the desert is not peace, the garden is peace. if the church which learns of the abortion of a parishioner refuses confession and thus communion to the woman who has had an abortion they compound their guilt of not helping to cultivate conditions which relieve the fears and anxieties of the woman, married or unmarried. to help find affordable daycare, or offer markedly reduced or free tuition for her child for school, to help find her cheap rent, a better job - to surround her in love in a way that establishes the culture of life here and now, without using the sword to do it.

>> No.6256574

>>6256563
I believe it comes from being 'Athiest' is now default. For some they feel they have to go against the grain and set themselves apart from others. Being religious in a world(relative, for those under 25 most of your friends are athiests, right?) of Atheists is one way to do that.
Same reason why some like Death Grips.

>> No.6256576

brazil

roman catholic

i'm libertarian

no/yes

no

st. augustine and st. anselm

i don't like militant atheists and protestants but that's it

>> No.6256578

>>6256111

> US
> Catholic
> No, moderate on most axes
> It's a sin but given the chance I'd unfortunately probably succumb
> Almost every, very rarely miss (about maybe once every 3 months)
> Francis de Sales
> Generally don't care, but I can't stand vocal New Atheists. Welcoming of most other religions. Not very favorable of Islam, should read the Quran at some point.

>> No.6256579

>>6256111
You should have added a question about thoughts on gay rights.

>> No.6256581

>>6256566

Um random. I was interested in the Hussite revolution and was initially going to study that but the program is focused on primary documents, of which I couldn't easily get my hands on. I was then going to study Nazi lebensraum ideology and found out that USU has a huge Czech collection in their archives. One thing led to another, and right now I'm writing a paper on the popular support of communism in interwar czechoslovakia

>> No.6256602

>>6256567
>It's only an hour, my brothers, an hour and a half at the absolute most.
GOD IS DEAD
AND WE HAVE KILLED HIM

>> No.6256626

>>6256602
Isn't that a movie

>> No.6256631

this has little to do with literature

>> No.6256638

>>6256631
I for one appreciate this thread. I've been continously perplexed by /lit/'s attitude towards atheism for some time. Makes sense that atleast a sizable portion of this board is actually religious -- which is something I just never really genuinely considered.

For some reason I guess I just had a hard time imagining a mormon browsing 4chan.

>> No.6256643

>>6256638
Yeah, we're a rare breed. I mostly just stick to this board because it's pretty tame, and I dig books.

>> No.6256663

>>6256111
>>what country do you live in
God's own America
The Congregation of Christ knows no denomination.
Well of course, I'm not some liberal cuck who wants to destroy God.
No, I've been married for thirty-nine years, and if it is forbidden in the Holy Bible, it's a sin
Of course I do, I'm the preacher!
The HOLY BIBLE is all you need!
All go to Hell.

>> No.6256668
File: 134 KB, 500x375, cross-and-flag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256602
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjo5f9eiX8

>> No.6256673
File: 30 KB, 181x357, 1426060441441.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256663
Amen.

>> No.6256688

>>6256111
>there is noticeably a lot of christians that post on this board.
the fuck are you talking about

>> No.6256691

>>6256688
get lost heretic
/lit/ is rightful Christian internet soil

>> No.6256692
File: 8 KB, 235x218, 1001709_541722672531234_985514244_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256688
>he doesnt know /lit/ is a christian board

>> No.6256697
File: 67 KB, 563x528, 1324679896931.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>all these Christians

seriously, what the fuck... why do you believe in something completely baseless and untrue?
>hurp derp magic existed, but only this one time in the less literate parts of the middle east

>> No.6256701

>>6256688
Have you never seen a thread on /lit/ about religion/christianity/atheism?

>> No.6256702

>>6256697
who are you quoting??

>> No.6256709

My favorite book in the Bible is Numbers. It really speaks to me on a deep, spiritual level.

>> No.6256715

>>6256697
Prepare for an onslaught of

>edgy fedora edgelord atheism is a religion etc

>> No.6256719

>>6256697
>but only this one time in the less literate parts of the middle east

Who said we believed that? You do know the Catholic Church takes magic very seriously, don't you? That's why if you're Catholic you're not allowed to own a Ouija Board.

>> No.6256730

>>6256317
>Anglican Church in North American
>Not the Episcopal Church
You guys are crypto-Papists yourselves, m8

>> No.6256733

>>6256348
Anglican Church in North America aren't even real Anglicans, they broke of from the Episcopal Church and unlike us they are not in full communion with the Church of England.

>> No.6256735

Ok. I'm very lost and need some fellow Christians' guidance on these two questions.

I'm in love with a girl. We're in a third world country and she does not know/care about Chrisianity at all. But she's a very good person. Her heart is in the right place. If nothing breaks, we might get married.

1. It's clear that Christians cannot date/marry unbelievers. But it just doesn't feel right to end because of that.
2. She's a good person. How can God let someone like that be condemned? Is it fair to good atheiests or many good people in my country who have never heard the gospel?

>> No.6256737

>>6256735
If she is good she will find her way to God sooner or later, even if this is at the very end of her life. All you can do is be a witness to Christ for her, not in overbearing and obnoxious ways, but simply in the way you live your life.

>> No.6256742

>>6256719
true, but not because of "magic".

>> No.6256746

>>6256742
Ouija boards are banned because they are a form of divination, which is a form of magic. It is consulting the spirits of the dead for advice without the guiding love of God. Ouija boards are a conduit by which demons and harmful spirits can influence the living.

This is not a joke.

>> No.6256752

>>6256746
and tarots are almost the same thing, doesnt mean i dont think of them as a scam and useless

>> No.6256755

usa
evangelical
conservative, yes
yes/yes
yes
rick warren
i despise new atheists

>> No.6256758

>>6256752
It's good that you think they are useless, because they ultimately are, and that prevents you from being tempted by them. You're on the right track.

It's just worth remembering that not only are they ultimately useless, they are also dangerous.

>> No.6256760

>>6256746

thanks for the laugh
glad to see there are still gullible morons of this caliber in 2015

>Following its commercial introduction by businessman Elijah Bond on July 1, 1890,[1] the Ouija board was regarded as an innocent parlor game unrelated to the occult until American Spiritualist Pearl Curran popularized its use as a divining tool during World War I.[2]

spooky spirits! better sue hasbro!

>> No.6256768

>>6256758
sure, theyre dangerous
anyone who uses them is obviously separated from God, which makes them perfect conduits for diabolical thoughts

>> No.6256774

>>6256760
eh, similar boards were used in ancient times to summon spirits/demons/etc.

>> No.6257109

>>6256663
Have you ever taken science courses? Opinion on evolution?

>> No.6257112

>>6256111
>not important
>Roman Catholic
>conservative, I'm a monarchist
>I'm a virgin and it's a sin
>I do
>Dante, Kierkegaard, Wolfe, Dostoevsky (my favourite writers/philosophers anyway)
>umm you gave me a group of billions of people, how do I have an opinion on them?

>> No.6257141
File: 14 KB, 251x242, 1354998083288.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256638

sure explains the fedora meme
explains the constant bible threads
explains the anti woman sentiment
explains the conservative posturing

welcome to r/christianity you faggots

>> No.6257144

>>6256668
What the hell...

>> No.6257148
File: 13 KB, 523x497, 1291023351474.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6256668
>comment by tjmr15

>> No.6257154

>>6256737
It would be unlikely. My mother's a good person too. We're poor she tries helping others as much as she can. And I don't think she will ever find God. It't just very unlikely in my country, Vietnam, where we have strong tradition of worshiping ancestors and spirits.

>> No.6257158

>>6257112
>>conservative, I'm a monarchist

says the poor NEET virgin kek

>> No.6257163

>>6257158
>poor
Guess again

>> No.6257164
File: 120 KB, 474x528, tips fedora.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>all christfags are from USA

How surprised.

>> No.6257166

>>6257164
I'm a slavfag christposter

>> No.6257167

>>6257163
ok buddy sure

>> No.6257178

>>6257158
>he isn't NEET

>> No.6257182

>>6256735
Just end yourself.

>> No.6257183

>>6256111
Are there actually Christians? I thought they were shitposters looking for easy pickings.

Anyways, all this not going to church and having sex before marriage/not thinking it's bad is surprising. I figure if I was religious, believing in an absolute and all powerful entity, I'd be his #1 fanboy, enjoying just hearing His word at church, and obeying all of his rules, no matter how stupid they may seem in the modern constructed value system. I can't grasp ''moderate'' religion at all. I mean, you believe it's GOD for Christ's sake, what more do you fucking want?

>b-but it's w-written by p-people a-and.. y-eah..
Right, so why do you believe then? Do you want to fake your way into heaven? God knows all you do and think, so stop being a hypocrite and live a Biblical life if ye truly believe.

>> No.6257185

>>6256701
i always thought non-christians don't care enough to post in those

>> No.6257188

>>6256735
Why do you think Christians can't marry unbelievers?

>> No.6257193

>>6257183
Believe it or not leading a virutus life is hard. Although there is no excuse for not going to church at least.

>> No.6257202
File: 31 KB, 495x338, da.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

USA
Episcopalian
No, socially liberal, economically leftist.
No, and no.
Sure do.
Richard Hooker,Teilhard, Kierkegaard, Hegel, William Temple.
Love is the most important thing, to know love is to know God.

>> No.6257216

>>6257202
Kek some protestant churches make me laugh

>> No.6257217

>>6257188
>Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

>And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? For ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2 Corinthians 6:14-17

>> No.6257221

>>6257193
I understand, but it's not uncommon for people to flunk their way through religion, saying it's not literal, it's time-bound, it's a metaphore, it's not ''required'' to be a good christian, that's not what the religion is about, etc., etc. I wonder what these people even think God is, as if you can cheat your way past God or something. Do these people realize who they're supposedly dealing with? Or is it literally an opiate to sustain their shitty existence, believing that as long as they're good little liberal capitalists, they will enjoy eternal life?

>> No.6257229

>>6257217
>>6257217
Spread the truth to her, this is a different context.

>> No.6257230

>>6257217
>No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
1 John 4:12

>> No.6257231
File: 99 KB, 800x533, greek-orthodox-feast-of-the-transfiguration-on-mount-tabor_1729197.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Australia
Greek Orthodox
Agrarian Christian Anarchist
I define marriage outside of the legal definition. I define it as a long-term loving relationship of the marriage kind. Includes homosexual relationships, because I believe the verses applying allegedly to homosexuals are being misinterpreted, but I do believe that homosexuals should be in one loving relationship, just like heterosexuals. The legal requirements/responsibilities of marriage don't interest me. I have a "wife" and am not a virgin.
Yes. More than once a week actually.
Athanasius or Ellul
I don't care. If people ask me, I will tell them plainly what I believe. I will share with them why I believe it. I'll invite them to my church. If they don't ask, I won't force anything on them.

>> No.6257233

>>6257221
It has to do with the capitalist consumers worldview. You don't give yourself to Christ, he is just some feelgood figure.

>> No.6257236

>>6257231
Kek, homosexuality is considered a sin because it is mentioned in numerous places and marriage is a sacrament, not a relationship.
Shit theology.

>> No.6257240

>>6257236

I will be married in the church at some point because I believe in the sacraments, but I disagree on homosexuals. especially with the way scholars have translated certain words with no clear meaning to "sodomite" or "homosexual". It's a clear twisting of the word.

>> No.6257241

USA
Roman Catholic
Yes
No, not a virgin. Yes, premarital sex is a sin.
No, but often.
Thomas Aquinas. Some other guy.
Mostly they make me sick and I think they have problems. But I don't think about it that much.

>> No.6257242

>>6257236
>>6257240

To clarify, I only want to be married in the eyes of God, not in the eyes of the state.

>> No.6257257

>>6257240
In translations dating far before the homosexuality becoming a thing, it was translated as men who lay with men or similar, the term sodomite and homosexual are not important. Putting your penis through a butthole is a perversion of the natural law.

>> No.6257258

>>6256111
Holy shit, all these christians, all these conservatives saying that premarital sex is a sin yet they would gladly do it anyway. On the other hand we have all these fucking commies and socialist going on about "MUH EVIL CORPORATIONS RUINING THE WORLD"

Seriously, you people are the worst.

>> No.6257259

>>6257241
>Yes, premarital sex is a sin.
why

>> No.6257264

>>6257259
BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS SO. Seriously, that is going to be their answer, I have heard it a thousand times.

That is one of the main points of why I left religion and all that non sense. I couldn't believe why noFUCKINGone could make a single argument as to why fucking is considered a sin.

>> No.6257265
File: 43 KB, 443x598, 153905_hi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>120 replies
This thread confirms my suspicions that /lit/ is full of credulous morons. Jesus, Zizek, Marx might as well be interchangeable for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8GMidDRn2k

>> No.6257267

>>6257258
>all these conservatives saying that premarital sex is a sin yet they would gladly do it anyway
Religious people are all hypocritical retards who are scared of life and need a supernatural security blanket, what did you expect

>> No.6257271

>>6257265
>This thread confirms my suspicions that /lit/ is full of credulous morons.
I'm 95% sure that a lot of these posts were samefagged or another board was trolling

>> No.6257272

>>6257257

Not malakoi or arsenokoi. Saying they are meant as statements about homosexuals is as much a guess as anything. Those lines in the Old Testament I don't care much about seeing as they were more or less health guidelines for Jews at a time when procreation was beneficial. I also believe Paul's statements later refer more to immorality and temple prostitutes than a loving gay relationship.

>> No.6257276

>>6257272
Oh you are that poster. You have fallen low.

>> No.6257277

>>6257267
I have had my fair share of dealing with this kind of people, it never stops being frustrating.

>> No.6257278

>>6257265

You can always spot the STEMfags in these threads. People who only care for what science has proven are obviously not going to believe what is essentially a mystical and philosophical issue, but as I've said before on this board, Christianity is not hard to prove in writing and religious and atheistic philosophers are on equal ground.

I'm not saying that the more philosophy you read, the more likely you are to become a Christian. I'm simply saying that it's easy to spot the STEMfags who read very little by how dismissive they are.

>> No.6257284

>>6257276

My beliefs on homosexual relationships is irrelevant, though, other than as an illustration of my beliefs about marriage. I'm not gay. I also submit to the Orthodox church and as long as my church refuses to marry gays, then I won't consider their loving relationship a blessed sacrament. But my personal views are that it's not inherently sinful.

>> No.6257289

>>6257258

Don't you understand confession and forgiveness?

>> No.6257291

>>6257278
Holy shit, humanities fags are the worst.

>> No.6257293

>>6257284
Being gay in itself isn't. Putting your penis through a butthole is. Simple as that.

>> No.6257298

>>6257289
Yes, I do. Did you know that when you confess you are supposed to actually AVOID falling into the same sin again? Plenty of people don't try to improve, don't you come telling me that the people of God are righteous and that they truly feel repentant, because that simply doesn't happen.

I was grown in a catholic family, attended church every sunday, etc. The amount of hypochrisy was unbearable.

>> No.6257307

>>6257298
>once you sin and confess you become a perfect person incapable of sinning against and confession magically makes you into a good person

>> No.6257311
File: 227 KB, 188x190, MlAeLm8.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Australia
>theological beliefs come from all over but I worship with pentecostals
>left of centre
>no, and it can be but not necessarily
>at least once a week, not necessarily on a Sunday
>living: Rene Girard, dead: Tolstoy
>I feel more strongly towards Christians that don't share my views

>> No.6257316

>>6257307
Did you not read what I wrote?

>Did you know that when you confess you are supposed to actually AVOID falling into the same sin again?

I never said that confession is supposed to make you a perfect person, I said that if you are really repentant, then you should try to NOT make the same mistake again.

Let me guess, you just confess because you are supposed to and not because you feel guilty?

>> No.6257319

>>6257278
>Christianity is not hard to prove in writing and religious and atheistic philosophers are on equal ground.
foremost kek
supreme kek
kekkus maximus
kek vanguard
kek volare
kekkito, ergo sum
"The movin kek writes, and having kek'd, moves on. Nor all thy piety nor all thy wit, can cancel half a kek, Nor all your tears wash out a kek of it."

kek <----
kek
kek

>> No.6257334

>>6256515
Muh Platonist nigga

>> No.6257335
File: 107 KB, 600x759, horror_12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As a citizen of the glorious kingdom of Denmark, the most secular/atheist country on earth, this thread legitimately frightens me.

Over here, the only deeply religious people are the insane. And muslim immigrants.

To think that the people writing in this thread are atually serious sends chills down my spine. The human mind's capacity for doublethink is absolutely horrifying. Blatantly incorrect ideas that are incompatible with reality are held by otherwise intelligent and educated people.

The horror.

>> No.6257344
File: 101 KB, 500x439, kierkegaard_stamp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can thank one of your countrymen for the religious conversion of this board.

>> No.6257346

>>6256697
>seriously, what the fuck... why do you believe in something completely baseless and untrue?

It depends on how you define baseless and untrue.

>> No.6257347

>>6257316
I confess for both. I am guilty to and because I ought to.

>> No.6257348

>>6257344
Fun fact: Kierkegaard (Kirkegård) means cemetery.

>> No.6257352

>>6257344
>1813-2013
>yfw Kierkegaard died two years ago

>> No.6257355

>>6257352
Rip in papas fritas