[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 325x500, 0099800209.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
625396 No.625396 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/. I am going to make this post before I go to work in hopes of some helpful replies

I take the AP english test on Thursday, and am going over some works I have read and enjoyed thoroughly.

I am pondering how these works would fit into a prompt for the open ended essay, and need a quick review on themes, and other information, I should cover

Some of my choice include, but are not limited to:

Slaughterhouse 5
The Old Man and the Sea
Catcher and the Rye
All Quiet on the Western Front
(Possibly) Frankenstein

I am trying to avoid Wuthering Heights and The Great Gatsby because they tend to be very overused.
Of the works listed, could you guys give me some good things to cover on each?

Thank you

>> No.625403

h T t P : // A t . K | m M Ò A . S € /

>> No.625405

In the Old Man and The Sea, the old man catches a fish.

>> No.625406

>>625396
/lit/ - Homework

>> No.625407

Vonnegut is always the answer.

>> No.625432

>>625406

Im not asking you to write the paper for me, Im just asking for suggestions.Nor is it really homework

>> No.625462

I will bump once more, I guess this sounds too much like a request for /lit/ to do the work for me, and I apologize for that.

All I am really looking for is a quick overview of the themes of each, and your take on them

>> No.625470

>>625462
>Nor is it really homework
>this sounds too much like a request for /lit/ to do the work for me
>do the work for me
>not really homework

>> No.625478

>>625462

Wouldn't a quick browse of sparknotes do the job quicker and better?

>> No.625485

Slaugterhouse 5 - Anti-War
The Old Man and the Sea - Be a man not a pussy
Catcher in the Rye - (and the rye?) Learn shit on your own
All Quiet on the Western Front - Don't be stupid, war =/= glory
Frankenstein - Nature and Science are scary shit

Lesson
>>625478
do what this guy says

>> No.625491

>>625470

I dont want you to do the work for me, I want you to share your opinions. I'll share mine.

Personally, in The Old Man and The Sea, I saw Santiago as this pillar trying to uphold an old profession, fishing. Taking the time that this was written and putting it in context, I interpreted this struggle between the old man and sharks as more of a struggle between changing society and old customs, with the sharks as society, and the old man as a symbolism of individuality. The sharks are trying to strip away, so to speak, the flesh of the old man's being- who he is. The old man is just trying to live how he has always lived, and society is putting pressure on him to change

Insult me if you must

>> No.625493

>>625478

I have browsed, and have glanced over the themes listed. I was a bit more interested in wondering what you, as a whole, had to say

>> No.625495

>>625485

Also yes i was paying attention and made a typo on Catcher in the Rye, apologies

>> No.625498

>>625394
h T + P : // @ + . K i M M ò A . s E /

>> No.625496

>>625495

wasn't*

>> No.625509

>>625493

Protip: If you want discussion on themes of books don't post why you need them. Just ask "What did you guys think of Old Man and The Sea?"

As for Old Man and the Sea -- it's typical Hemingway hero:
1) Grace under pressure
2) Never give up
3) Stand up for yourself
4) No regrets

If you want to compare -- read The Snows of Kilimanjaro, then compare both protagonists -- and you'll see it.

>> No.625524

Let me give you a piece of advice - when they say "Discuss a piece of respected literature such as one from this list or of your own choosing" ALWAYS CHOOSE FROM THE LIST. I wrote on Vonnegut's "Player Piano" and those fuckers gave me a 3. AP English Lit graders are pretentious fucks - always choose from the list.

>> No.627380

>>625524

Ah, really? I hadn't heard that. Can anyone else confirm this? Is it safer to write from the list, or from a piece you know well that may not be on the list?