[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 32 KB, 295x448, scarletushb1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6244510 No.6244510 [Reply] [Original]

Regarding the plot synopsis...

"The Scarlet Gospels takes readers back many years to the early days of two of Barker's most iconic characters in a battle of good and evil as old as time: The long-beleaguered detective Harry D'Amour, investigator of all supernatural, magical, and malevolent crimes faces off against his formidable, and intensely evil rival, Pinhead, the priest of hell."

The synopsis describes Pinhead as evil, but from what I remember, The Order of the Gash were simply amoral, weren't they? They considered themselves explorers of experience and were neither good nor evil, from what I remember of The Hellbound Heart novella.

That's one of the reasons why I found the novella to be so interesting, because they weren't just evil beings. They simply had their own ideologies and ways of life. But now, The Scarlet Gospels is being described as a battle of good versus evil (yawn).

Any idea why Clive Barker changed his stance on this?

>> No.6244544
File: 154 KB, 330x327, 1251763040631.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6244510
>detective Harry D'Amour

that aside, I thought Pinhead always was evil. He takes people against their will, tortures them, and when Frank "escape" Pinhead is greatly offended and wants to recapture him. This doesn't sound like an amoral guy with his own philosophy, it sounds like a rapist.

>> No.6244582

>>6244544
It wasn't against their will though.

Even when people solved the Lament Configuration without knowing what it was, the Cenobites would only take the person if they had the desire to experience new things.

For instance, in the second Hellraiser film, the doctor made his patient solve the Lament Configuration, but when the Cenobites came, they took the doctor and not the patient. Pinhead even said that it wasn't hands that summoned them, but desire.

So to expand on your rapist analogy, you're half right. It is like rape, but in the sense that the person is saying "no" while their body says "yes."

>> No.6244590

>>6244510
It's a blurb, take it with a grain of salt. My only hope is that it's better than Mr. B. Gone