[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 181 KB, 658x1000, Tor_Complete_MBotF_ebook_2014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6221366 No.6221366 [Reply] [Original]

So it'a Malazan actually worth reading? Or is it just overly complex schlock for hipster who don't want to read ASOIAF?

>> No.6221370

>>6221366
Absolute shit with no discernible talent.

>> No.6221396

I hated the first part of Gardens of the moon. After I dug into it I started to really enjoy it. Going to give the 2nd book a try and see how it goes.

>> No.6221414

>>6221366
never heard of this but at least i gave ASOIAF a chance. wasnt for me, and i think hipsters and non hipsters alike are all up on Martins balls collectively.

>> No.6221658

bump

>> No.6221681

I'm in the middle of the 5th book at the moment. Just put it down. I personally think it's epic as fuck. I knew it was gonna be my favourite epic fantasy as soon as I started the first one.

>> No.6221688

Why does everything have to be labelled pleb or hipster? If you want to read it, read it. It would be hipster not reading it just because it's known.

>> No.6221697

I think it's pretty shit. The first book is near incomprehensible for the first half and when it does pick up it really doesn't reward the tedium that led to it. The second book is better, still nothing to really write home about. I put the third book down a little less than half way through.

>> No.6221716

>>6221697
Admittedly the writer throws you in the deep end straight away. You do notice his writing gets considerably better in later books. He wrote the first one in like 1997 or something I think. But yeah, it's one of those series that if you like it, you'll love it, if you don't like it, well nobodies forcing you to read it.

>> No.6223661

I read the first 5 Books a year ago, if you ask me about the name of a single character i couldn't name one.

It really isn't anything special, and since it has a fuckton of pages i would consider it a waste of time.

>> No.6223687

I read a couple then jumped further along in the order, and I can confirm it's not worth reading past the first three (which is still a lot of text to get through just for a taste of a high-fantasy RPG setting, but if that's your thing...)

This anon >>6223661 must be exaggerating because I do remember some names. Including that Icar(us?ion?) character - unfortunately, since every single passage involving him is cringeworthy. Naming characters "Whiskeyjack" and "Tattersails" is also such a Black Company thing to do.

>> No.6223689

>>6221366
It's an overly complex schlock for hipsters who want more ASOIAF.

>> No.6224438

>>6223687
It works in the Black Company though, since theyre a bunch of lowbrow mercs

>> No.6225087

>>6223687
I'd disagree. Im on the fifth book right now and its much better than the first 3. The firestorm during the siege of that one city was amazing.

>> No.6226749

Read them all and really enjoyed them, kept me interested throughout the whole series. Once I started reading a battle/seige/fight scene I wasn't putting that shit down until the end of it

>> No.6226756

>>6223689
hmm, might just be right up my ally then.

I know you mean it as an insult, but saying a book is like ASOIAF is actually an enormous compliment. Most books wish they were as successful as ASOIAF.

>> No.6226761

>>6223687
Steven Erickson implicitly stated the black company inspired his work, also it's a Malazan tradition to give someone a new name when they begin training for the Marines I think

>> No.6226771

>>6226756
Idk, ASOIAF is pretty decent, the popularity is because of show fags, back when GRRM put that shit out it was way less popular

>> No.6226786

>>6226771
A Feast for Crows was the #1 NYT bestseller years before there was any thought of a TV show. The show made the series significantly more popular, but it was already popular.

>> No.6226961

>>6221366
supposedly it gets better after the first book due to all the terminology and world development. id say read the first two books, and if you dont like it after that then drop it.

>> No.6227514
File: 106 KB, 576x847, heros-anomander-rake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6226961
To be honest it keeps getting better and better. If you like it you'll probably do a re-read one day and it's even better the 2nd time round.

The thing about Erikson is that almost every page he writes is important. And when you realize the way characters will talk though think in a completely different humane way. Then you'll realize Erikson is a genius.

You need to understand as well that the story means a lot more to him then the characters. That's why there's is practically unlimited characters. Not to mention the battle scenes.

Some people will like his writing some just won't.

>> No.6227790

>>6227514
>The thing about Erikson is that almost every page he writes is important.
That's funny, I would've said the exact opposite.
And yet the only bits I honestly like are the most useless ones that involve the Master Roshi priest of Shadow.