[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 981 KB, 1200x1443, Beethoven.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6216024 No.6216024 [Reply] [Original]

Who was/is the Beethoven of literature?

>> No.6216056

>>6216024

James Baldwin

>> No.6216093

>>6216024
In what way?

Probably Milton, not entirely because of the blind thing either.

>> No.6216100

Goethe

>> No.6216172

>>6216024
I'm not well enough versed in literature, but what i can say about Beethoven is:
- Of his time, somewhat of an indie musician, refusing to follow contemporary norms. Mozart was a composer for hire, and wrote pieces that suited most people, especially the ones paying. Beethoven, on the other hand, liked experimenting, sometimes using chords/tempos/etc that weren't often found anywhere else. Sure, today the difference isn't that big, but at that time it was huge, like Lil' Wayne vs Dimmu Borgir.
- Has written a few of the most recognizable pieces ever (5th symphony, Fur Elise, and 9th symphony, to name a few)
- Wrote his last (and one of his most famous, the 9th symphony) piece while mostly deaf, using a piano that was custom made to be extra loud, while he had funnels in his ears so he could hear it.
- Was either blind towards his later days, or close to it, as his assistant had to turn him around so that he could bow for the audience after the 9th symphony premiere.

So, from the above, we can deduce that we're looking for a writer that:
- Breaks with established norms in terms of style.
- Has published at least one of the more recognized works.
- Continued to write great literature well into his twilight years, despite poor health.

Again, I only read 1950-1960 sci fi (Heinlin, Asimov, Clarke, etc) as well as technical literature, so someone else will have to find a writer that fits the above description.