[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.36 MB, 2560x1600, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6206398 No.6206398 [Reply] [Original]

Post good books that you never see talked about on /lit because they are rare, obscure or otherwise not widely known. Talk a bit about them and why you think they at good.

/lit usually talks about the same books that we all know about so if you know of a good book you never see on here then share it with the board.

>> No.6206418

Bumping for exploring new things

>> No.6206439
File: 25 KB, 200x314, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll start.

"The hermit" by Eugene Ionesco

From the goodreads description

>In his only novel, the celebrated dramatist has chosen as his main character a man who is both utterly banal yet strangely touched with grace, a lowly clerk who is none-the-less prey to luminous visions. At 35 he quits the "rat-race" thanks to an unexpected inheritance and devotes himself to his secret passion: observing and meditating on the human condition. "It may well be" wrote the French critic François Nourissier in Le Point, "that in a few years we will come to realize that The Hermit is one of the essential works of our time, probing and detailing the illness of our century.

The book is pretty good, it is both funny and dark at various points and it also discusses deep philosophical ideas throughout. 9/10 book not even exaggerating, would recommend.

>> No.6206467

>>6206398
I actually don't remember anyone mentioning The Red and the Black here.

It is, honestly, one of the greatest novels I've ever read, right up there with Dostoevsky's masterpieces.

Stendhal provides some amazing insight into the psychology of his characters. Julien Sorel is such a goddamn dick, but his vanity, his pride and petty motivations put into writing are a thing of marvel. His turbulent love affairs are a rollercoaster ride. You know, like in the Karamazovs, that distinct one-upmanship present in a relationship of two proud lovers... Or the class struggles, the battles of wits...

It helps that the novel is quotable as fuck, the language is beautiful, the setting is interesting, and the humor is sharp.

The way I describe Stendhal to people is "a Dostoevsky that wrote good prose."

>> No.6206479
File: 24 KB, 223x346, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"The heart of the world" by Ian baker

The story is a recounting of a number of real-life expeditions in the mountains of Tibet by the Buddhist scholar and translator Ian Baker, an American citizen.

Basically this dude lives in Tibet for a number of years translating Buddhist scripture and broing it up with the Dalai Lama when he comes across a Buddhist scripture describing a gateway to Shangri-La hidden behind a giant waterfall in a hidden gorge.

After taking numerous meditative retreats and expeditions exploring unexplored areas of Tibets valleys the author eventually discovered a 100+ foot waterfall corresponding to the description in the ancient text.

The story is a mix of talking about Buddhist philosophy, journal entries about the expeditions and observations of different facets of the native Tibetan daily life and culture. Definetly worth checking out for someone with an interest or background in Buddhism, eastern philosophy, hiking, mountaineering and exploring.

>> No.6206510

>>6206479
This sounds interesting, do you know if I can download it from somewhere ?

>> No.6206524

A couple I've mentioned recently and got anywhere from zero to a couple replies from others who know them

Kafka - Amerika
Huxley - Devils of Loudon
Heller - Picture This
- Something Happened
Vonnegut - Happy Birthday, Wanda June
- God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian
Hesse - Beneath the Wheel

I can say I loved all of these except for Devils of Loudon (only just begun reading it) and Amerika (will finish today or tomorrow)

>> No.6206527

>>6206479
That sounds right up my alley, thanks

>> No.6206554

>>6206510

Buy the fucking thing you tightfisted jew. Probably cost like $15.

>> No.6206563

>>6206510

Idk, you could try googling for a PDF but I would recommend buying it, I have read it 3 times over the course of 8 years and each time I was glad I read it.

There are multiple used versions on amazon right now selling for less then a dollar, like 6 bucks with shipping.

>> No.6206572

>>6206554
>>6206563
Amazon doesn't accept my card so I can't buy it. Guess I'll check in some bookstores, since I can't find it online.

>> No.6206579

>>6206524
I've just finished Beneath the Wheel two days ago.
It was an enjoyable read, especially the second half, after Hans returns home.

Will check out Amerika asap, thanks.

>> No.6206591

>>6206554
Go fuck yourself Ian baker.

>> No.6206609

>>6206572
give me a sec and I'll upload it

>> No.6206615

>>6206591

You go fuck yourself you poorfag tightwad hebrew cunt. Why should I or anyone else provide art for nothing?

Fucking pigshit wanker.

>> No.6206639

>>6206479
>>6206510

Here it is:
The Heart of the World - Ian Baker.epub

>a.pomf.se/zxymom.epub

>> No.6206679

Timaeus

>> No.6206706
File: 35 KB, 212x346, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"The Globalization of Poverty and the New World Order" by Michael Chossudovsky.

The book is examines how groups like the International Monetary Fund and the World Trade Organization commit economic warfare under the auspices of "free-trade" to rape economies and transfer most of the wealth out of developing countries and into the pockets of wall-street and it's European counterparts.

The author just uses the term NWO to refer to groups like the IMF and WTO or world bank, there is nothing tin-foil about the book and it is very scholarly and professional. It details examples on a country by country basis and the section for each country usually has around 30+ citations.

The book was really eye-opening for me, I had always known on some level that businessmen from rich countries do stuff that is bad for people in poorer countries but I never realized how insidious it was. There are multiple cases of financial groups using blackmail to force countries to accept the conditions attached to further loans, the conditions end up leaving the county in further debt in cycles that leave the people at the IMF richer but with the country left with a ruined economy and widespread poverty. It's funny because through the books" the author quotes IMF and WTO officials as admitting sometimes that there isn't any evidence that their reforms benefit countries.

It was also interesting to note how this played into setting the stage for conflicts. We are taught in school that the wars and massacres in Rwanda, Darfur or Kosovo started because of religious or ethnic conflicts but they leave out how prior to the disasters there were IMF- or WTO-imposed reforms that fucked everyone up and cause starvation and poverty, setting the stage for the later conflict in what had been previously peaceful areas.

I would recommend this book to anyone who seeks to understand how 1st world countries economically subjugate poorer ones. It's good reading also for people who seek to understand the real leftism of the 80's and 90's that led to major protests against free-trade instead of the pseudo-left nowadays that just cares about identify politics.

>> No.6206708
File: 9 KB, 334x477, Tinkers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tinkers by Paul Harding

One of the best contemporary novels I've read, period. I really wonder why /lit/ doesn't talk about it more. And I don't normally think that awards have any real clout, but I can safely say that this brief but sweet story about three generations of New England watchmakers stricken by cold and epilepsy deserved the Pulitzer.

Check it out!

>> No.6206722
File: 12 KB, 217x346, 41KwrKPRoWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Funny, entertaining, smart, playful, profound, meta, meaty. Simply put: this is a work of genius.

>> No.6206813

I don't suppose any of you would have a pdf copy of Sur les nomes des parties du corps en égyptien?

>> No.6206818
File: 1.30 MB, 1530x2048, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium by Mark Dery

I picked this up on a whim after seeing it at a rare-books store. The book basically examines and analyzes american culture through the lenses of what we obsess over, what captures the publics attention and what scares us.

Topics mentioned include alien abductions, carnival freak-shows, the Unabomber, killer clowns, consumerism, cultists, serial killers and the X-files. One of the main ideas in the book is that the things mentioned and others reveal a lot about our culture and our collective psyche.

If you like Debord, D&G or Derrida you would probably find it interesting. It isn't some masterful treatise or philosophical text but rather just an examination of american culture and it's ennui, alienation and neurosis.

The picture I posted is a comic that is on one of the books pages. The average person would probably find this comic to be disturbing which it is, but at the same time if you find the psychological reaction elicited by the comic interesting, find the fact that you reacted in that way interesting, or derive some perverse pleasure at being disturbed then you would probably enjoy the book.

>> No.6206847
File: 56 KB, 500x500, foundationpit3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

andrei platonov, the foundation pit

>In Andrey Platonov’s The Foundation Pit, a team of workers has been given the job of digging the foundation of an immense edifice, a palatial home for the perfect future that, they are convinced, is at hand. But the harder the team works, the deeper they dig, the more things go wrong, and it becomes clear that what is being dug is not a foundation but an immense grave.

never discussed in /lit/, probably because this is the equivalent of translating ulysses to another language

>> No.6206854

>>6206439
ma nigga right here posting about based Ionesco

His plays are dark, disturbing and hysterical, not only fun to read but definitely the best theater-going experiences I've ever had (including going to Theatre de la Huchette and seeing the Bald Soprano/the Lesson which have been playing every day since 1957, making it the longest continuously running play in history)

I've never read the novel, I actually didn't even know it existed, but based on your recommendation I am putting it next on my list

>> No.6206891
File: 1.06 MB, 1600x850, the process.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> why it's good

Gysin was undoubtedly the most creative and talented of the beats, and in fact Burroughs admits that he is well within the shadow of Gysin, and that "Gysin is the only [man/woman] whom I have ever respected [in any way: artistically, as a thinker, as a person.]" There would be no cut-up trilogy, or even probably Naked Lunch, without Gysin.

This is his novel. It's basically the beat concept of the Travel, wild experimentation with drugs, and it's extremely well-written. It's the literary equivalent of hallucinogens. And it's pretty hilarious and fun despite that.

>> No.6206907
File: 29 KB, 304x500, threemen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome

Out of sheer boredom, three English gentlemen go boating down the Thames with their dog, wacky misadventures ensue.

This is legit the funniest book I've ever read. Despite having been written in 1889 the humor is still fresh and spot-on. Anyone who enjoys a good P.G. Wodehouse will love this.

Also have to mention "Cold Comfort Farm" by Stella Gibbons, this is an unappreciated classic is a masterpiece that sits right up there in the pantheon of British humorists.

>> No.6206923

>>6206847

Looks good, thanks for posting it. If you havnt read "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin I would recommend, it's a great book in a similar vein.

>>6206854

The book was really good. I don't have my copy with me but if I did I would post some lines from it. Some of them are brilliant and made me literally laugh aloud for several minutes when reading by myself. The book is also really cool in that the main character under goes a transformation during the book, it's sort of like Siddhartha but for existentialism instead of eastern philosophy.

>> No.6206932

>>6206891

I hadn't heard of that author but I'm a big fan of Burroughs, i will check it out thanks for the recommendation.

>> No.6206966
File: 37 KB, 295x450, a_time_to_be_born.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A Time to Be Born by Dawn Powell, a satire about the publishing industry of the late 1930s/early 1940s. It's funny without being lightweight, with a great cast of characters.

>> No.6207083

Bump

>> No.6207102

>>6206639
Thank you very much !

>> No.6207105

>>6206847
anybody got an ebook of this?

>> No.6207119

>>6207105
It's on libgen

>> No.6207158

>>6207119
merci beaucoup, I should have checked there first.

>> No.6207179
File: 24 KB, 339x475, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Autoportrait by Eduord Leve

Eduord was a French experimental artist who committed suicide right after writing a book about suicide titled suicide.

Autoportrait is a short book consisting entirely of long columns of short sentences describing the author, events from his life, and his opinion or perspective on things. The book is a relatively easy and short read and can be read in 3-4 hours if you ponder each sentence instead of rushing though.

Describing the book is a little difficult. It is a very psychological experience to read, you see into the mind of the author and become very aquatinted with him. The book has that rare essence to it where you feel like on some unconscious level the author connects to you as from one human being to another, something I also find with DFW. Many of the sentences are simple yet at the same time also elegant or beautiful because of the reactions they invoke or the thoughts they inspire. Reading it put me in a really good mood.

>> No.6207237
File: 83 KB, 216x171, my fello black man.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6206524
>Kafka - Amerika
My favourite book ever. I've been wanting to check out Something Happened, but I was thinking of saving it for middle age when it would hit me the hardest

>> No.6207246

>>6206907
it is well known but never discussed because philosofags don't like fun

>> No.6207259

>>6206706
Thanks! Sounds awesome.

>> No.6207262

Bumping

>> No.6207291
File: 59 KB, 775x936, friday.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anybody read any Heinlein books than the ones recommended?

Just finished reading The Puppet Masters, read Friday a few months before (that's in the recommended reading lists, but has anyone actually read Heinlein except for Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land?)

The Puppet Masters is a 1951 science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein in which American secret agents battle parasitic invaders from outer space. The novel was originally serialised in Galaxy Science Fiction (September, October, November 1951).

>The book evokes a sense of paranoia later captured in the 1956 film Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which had a similar premise.
>Heinlein's novel also repeatedly makes explicit the analogy between the mind-controlling parasites and the Communist Russians, echoing the then prevailing Second Red Scare in the United States.

>Friday is a 1982 science fiction novel and early cyberpunk by Robert A. Heinlein. It is the story of a female "artificial person," the eponymous Friday, genetically engineered to be stronger, faster, smarter, and generally better than normal humans. Artificial humans are widely resented, and much of the story deals with Friday's struggle both against prejudice and to conceal her enhanced attributes from other humans. The story is set in a Balkanized world, in which the nations of the North American continent have been split up into a number of smaller states.

>> No.6207345

for all the talk of Nietzsche that goes on here, hardly anyone seriously discusses The Birth of Tragedy

>> No.6207552

>>6206524
Huxley - Devils of Loudon

Ken Russells The Devils is a great movie based on this, with Oliver Reed, som great scenes.

Historical fiction:
Alamut by Vladimir Bartol
Samarkand by Amin Maalouf
both dealing with the legend of the founder of the assasins, Hassan al-Sabbah,the poet Omar Khayyám and Vizir Nizam al-Mulk. The second is more contemperary in style, and he has some other good books, like Leo Africanus, though his non fiction The Crusades Through Arab Eyes is biased.

Bartols wrote his book in the 30ties, as a slovenian watching the rise of facisme and idolisme growing large. Its prose is not the best, but the story and some of characters is great, propaganda of the deed.

and lastly, in thees 50 shame days, read some Anaïs Nin short stories.

>> No.6207555
File: 12 KB, 192x297, Babbitt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Made a thread about it the other day. Only got 2 replies.

>> No.6207566
File: 109 KB, 1024x911, Jean-Philippe_Toussaint,_Florence_(Italie),_2013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jean-Philippe Toussaint's "Monsieur".
About a socially well adapted gentleman not giving a fuck ever. The extent of not giving a fuck is raised to asspie levels, actually. Short and funny.

>> No.6207572
File: 11 KB, 215x302, Alastalon salissa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alastalon Salissa by Volter Kilpi. A sort of Finnish Ulysses. Not translated :^)

>> No.6207608

Anyone here read the Cairo trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz? Any thoughts on it?

>> No.6207620

>>6207555

well why dont you post something about it so we know something about it without having to google it

>>6207566

sounds good

>>6207572

could I run the whole books through google translate, would it ruin it?

>> No.6207626

>>6207620
>could I run the whole books through google translate, would it ruin it?
>having this amount of time

>> No.6207630

>>6207555
Sinclair Lewis's books aren't exactly obscure -- at least not in America.

>> No.6207654

>>6207620
Google translate is especially shit for Finnish - English - Finnish translations. Mostly because Finnish is agglutinating but the translator can't inflect the words at all I think

>> No.6207703

>>6206818

Name the comic, pls?

>> No.6207707

The Peregrine by JA Baker is the new Stoner. You heard it here first.

>> No.6207714

>>6207707
Please don't popularize it outside of lit

>> No.6207790

>>6207714
>>6207707
We've had several threads about The Peregrine already. We've also had a bunch of "favorite NYRB book" threads, and Peregrine always gets picked. I personally heard about it through one of those and now I love it.

>> No.6207812
File: 12 KB, 171x254, tt5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Selected Works" by Konrad Bayer

from the book description on the back
>Konrad Bayer’s suicide at the age of 32 brought to an abrupt end a literary experiment of unusual fanaticism. In the reduced yet lyrical language typical of ’The Vienna Group’ he combined apparently irreconcilable elements - violence, hermeticism, pessimism, ecstacy, banality - and influences (surrealism, ’pataphysics, Wittgenstein, Stirner, Sade et al) into a bizarre linguistic solipsism which has held increasing fascination for German writers of the last 20 years.

that pretty much sums it up, its some of the most interesting writing I have ever read, Its like Kafka on acid. Its really powefull stuff, I often found myself rereading his poems and short stories after I finished them. Even without the references on the books description I can tell Bayer was pretty widely read and drew from alot of sources of inspiration for his writing. Its really a shame Bayer is not more widely known, his writing is kind of like Pynchons except that while Pynchon tries to acheive a certain effect it seems to come to Bayer naturally. After finishing the book I sat and thought for a long time.

I think he is definetly in the catagory of the top 20 writers of the 20th century and possibly even in the top 10 which is saying alot considering he is pretty much unknown out of Germany and Austria.

The book is out of print and most of the used copies on amazon cost upward of 100$

here is a link to a PDF, you need to pay money to create an account which I havnt done because I own a physical copy but its probably cheaper then paying over a hundred bucks for a used copy

there are also two other books he wrote "the head of vitus bering" and "sixth sense" which are in print and can be found on amazon for pretty cheap.

I think most people on /lit would really like him

>> No.6207819

>>6207812

the link

http://www.download-genius.com/download-k:Selected+works+of+Konrad+Bayer+Konrad+Bayer.pdf.html?aff.id=2338&aff.subid=81

>> No.6207829
File: 30 KB, 230x346, 51BqzCEWbhL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's the Situation: A Guide to Creeping on Chicks, Avoiding Grenades, and Getting in Your GTL on the Jersey Shore

>> No.6207837

>>6207829

sounds good

>> No.6207868

bumping for more people posting cool stuff

>> No.6207875

>>6206818

This sounds absolutely incredible and a lot like one of my side-projects, I would be very appreciative if someone could locate a pdf. My attempts over the last hour have been in vain.

>> No.6207896

>>6207703

"Grit Bath" by renee french

there are 3 sets of them each with around 15-20 pages

there is a torrent of them somewhere you can find through google

>> No.6207908

>>6207875

there are used copies on amazon for literally 1 cent

>> No.6207920

>>6207896

TY

>> No.6207926

>>6206706

Just DL'd this, thx.

>> No.6207929
File: 94 KB, 493x649, 1421305738363.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not really obscure at all, but I have never seen it mentioned here.

>> No.6208019

>>6207929

i just checkout out its wiki page, it looks good

>> No.6208029
File: 21 KB, 232x346, 511TSo08khL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6208046

>>6207812
This seems like something worth checking out. Cheers.

>> No.6208062

I dont post here often, so maybe I just missed it, but I haven't seen people talk about Quo Vadis by Henrik something

>> No.6208072

>>6206923
>Looks good, thanks for posting it. If you havnt read "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin I would recommend, it's a great book in a similar vein.

haha, only on the surface

it's nothing like it

>> No.6208074

>>6206818
>>6207812

Couldn't find the mentioned books but I got others by the same authors, for anyone interested.

>>6206706
>>6207179
got these here

Mark Dery - I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts.pdf
>a.pomf.se/cwbpuq.pdf
Autoportrait - Edouard Levé.epub
>a.pomf.se/kirkej.epub
Michel Chossudovsky-The Globalization of Poverty
>a.pomf.se/tojxrb.pdf
The_Sixth_Sense_-_Konrad_Bayer.pdf
>a.pomf.se/zojvus.pdf
The_Head_of_Vitus_Bering_-_Konrad_Bayer.pdf
>a.pomf.se/wvnxas.pdf
Tinkers - Paul Harding.epub
>a.pomf.se/pvoihc.epub

>> No.6208078

>>6208062
Henrik Zienkiewicz or some weird spelling like that. He got a Nobel for that, so he's got enough credit already.

>> No.6208080

>>6208029

checked this one out, looks good

>> No.6208081
File: 16 KB, 200x346, Morte D Urban.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I keep bringing this up hoping to amass a cult following similar to Stoner or Hard Rain Falling. Unfortunatelty I realize that since the book is a comic novel about a worldly Chicago Catholic priest being involuntarily exiled to a parish in rural Minnesota it probably won't catch on like wildfire at /lit/. Which is a shame because it is funny and very well written.

>> No.6208084

>>6208074

nice job anon, i'm impressed

>> No.6208085

>>6207896

Oh Jesus Christ, I'm reading the first one right now and just got to the fisting part. Is this even legal to own?

>> No.6208096

>>6208084
oh, stop it, you're gonna make me blush...

(please go on)

>> No.6208114

>>6208085

most countries would probably count it as art and not cp, the author has been nominated for multiple awards for her comics and has won at least 1 (not for Grit Bath though)

>> No.6208131

Bumping for more cool recs

>> No.6208140

>>6206467
I've been wanting to get into this, what translation do you recommend?

>> No.6208142

>>6208114
she also wrote childrens books

>> No.6208202
File: 591 KB, 575x561, Renee_French.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6208142

QT

>> No.6208262

>>6207908

I don't have 1 cent

>> No.6208271

>>6206615
actually, it's this type of attitude that is "jewish", or money-worship

>> No.6208277

>>6208081
I've seen you recommend this quite a lot. I hope to read it at some point but I can't really afford to buy books from the US right now. I'll read it eventually

>> No.6208365

>>6208277
Cool. Bless you, Anon.

>> No.6208553

Bump

>> No.6208659

Another recommendation, I just finished the writings of Thomas MacDonagh and Padraic Pearse, their plays come recommended

>>6206932

you'll love it, also try reading up on Gysin's personal history. If you thought Burroughs had an interesting and weird life, Gysin was a talented painter and was set to be displayed near Picasso and other landmark artists in an annual art show, invented the dream machine, and then also lived a lot of his life between the beat generation and his painterly era as a bar owner and hash smoker in the middle east.

>> No.6208664

>>6208081

I'll try picking it up at the library next week. Sounds like it's worth a read

>> No.6208694

>>6206722
I'd like to know why you enjoyed it as much as you did and why you think this is a work of genius.

what did you take away from the reading?

>> No.6208713
File: 356 KB, 700x1117, 0522.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6206398
Gormenghast, that is, the first three.
One of the best examples of 'fantasy' done right. It's Gothic, and the Peake's prose is just outstanding. If you want quality literary fantasy, I do recommend this above all else in the genre.

"This tower, patched unevenly with black ivy, arose like a mutilated finger from among the fists of knuckled masonry and pointed blasphemously at heaven. At night the owls made of it an echoing throat; by day it stood voiceless and cast its long shadow.” - Mervyn Peake, Titus Groan.

>> No.6208773

bump

>> No.6208800

>>6208713
> quality literature is purple prose
Nope.

>> No.6208810

>>6207291
I enojyed I Will Fear No Evil. It's a bit sexist and also clunky in its pacing, though. Fun read for some reason

>> No.6208811

I don't think i've ever seen Creation by Gore Vidal brought up on here. It's basically a 5th century BC Forrest Gump. The main character is the grandson of Zoroaster, grows up in the court of Darius, then becomes an emissary to India and meets Buddha, then an emissary to China where he meets Confucius, and in his old age goes to Athens where he meets a young Socrates and reminisces to Democritus, his cousin. It is in no way cheeky about it at all though, it's all very serious and Vidal doesn't cut any of these people slack. He really tackles what they preach and what the societies they grew out of were like.

Also, I know this board loves to shit on 'fun' reading, but if you want some fun Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart is one of my all time favorites that no one ever talks about.

>> No.6208817

>>6208713
I'm on book two at the moment.

Peake is wonderfully descriptive, and his characters largely defy stereotyping, in a way that makes them seem more real.

"'I am not your father', he replied. 'Have you no knowledge of me?'. And as he grinned his black eyes widened and in either eye there burned a star, and as the stars grew greater his fingers curled. 'I live in the Tower of Flints,' he cried. 'I am the death-owl.'"

The entire series has a certain baroque mouldering vitality in it.

>>6208800
No, but writing is a craft, and richly descriptive prose is beautiful in the same manner as a painting.

>> No.6208853

>>6208811

That's sounds pretty good

>> No.6208901
File: 41 KB, 287x405, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't know how obscure this could be considered but I don't hear it talked about often.
It's a pretty lengthy novel following several families along the eastern shore of Maryland for nearly four hundred years. Basically five simultaneously running Roots without so much slavery, save for one. They all generally keep to themselves but butt heads over their different philosophies and backgrounds.
The writing gets a little dull in places but the biggest hook to the novel is how much detail Michener puts into it. Easily one of my favorites.

>> No.6208919

>>6206439
based ionesco - this one's sitting in my closet. I should fucking read it

>> No.6209004

>>6206818

Just finished the exact story in that picture. That is straight fucked up. The parents' behavior is unbelievable though. I sure as shit hope it's not based on something that actually happened to the author or anyone else.

>> No.6209011

>>6208901

this one is good

my first Michener was Mexico, which as pretty good

>> No.6209022

>>6206524
Something Happened is not a good book.
I wanted to like it, but i couldnt. Perhaps it was profound and frightening in 1964, but it is not today, its just sad old news.

>> No.6209038

>>6208810
is that the one where a man's mind is placed in his secretary's body? i have been trying to figure out the title of that book for years now, i read it when i was younger and havent been able to find it since.

>> No.6209997

bump for more recs

>> No.6210082

>>6208901

Michener is great, Hawaii was pretty good too

>> No.6210148

does anyone here have Numerical Materialism Vol. 1?

>> No.6210154
File: 195 KB, 300x500, 3197272795_df5b4e9b88.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Barefoot in the Head by Brian Aldiss

Its a novel set in 1940's or 1950's western Europe, a war breaks out and on side attempts to preemptively render the other defenseless by using planes to basically cover the entire country or at least most of its cities and towns with an airborne psychedelic drug and this odorless, tastless and invisible to the eye.

The book is basically narrated by someone who is one the towns and who feels the effects. The effects of the drug take multiple days to kick in and they only continue to get stronger each day and it dosnt wear off. As the protagonist gets more and more under the influence of the drug his narration of events become increasingly disjointed and the writing increasingly experimental.

A highly enjoyable read for anyone even if you have never tried LSD or mushrooms but you would especially appreciate the books if you did. The author captures the feel of tripping well. The book for the most part is just an entertaining novel but and the same time the author captures the essence of deep philosophical thinking that psychedelics can sometimes inspire and the author brings that out in the character so it is both entertaining and meaningful.

>> No.6210188

>>6210154
that sounds amazing, i'm definitely going to order that
i read report on probability a by him and that was great too and probably worth being in this thread

>> No.6210198

>>6210154
That cover is great.

>> No.6210203

>>6207246
fun is worthless you quasi hedonistic piece of excrement

>> No.6210205

>>6207345
There was massive thread few days ago about this book.

>> No.6210218

>>6210154
thanks for the tip - there's a slew of similar whacked out british sf from back then but hard to know what's good

>> No.6210261

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Regulation-Institute-Ahmet-Hamdi-Tanpinar/dp/0143106732

The Time Regulation Institute by Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar

Set in late 20's-early 30's Turkish Republic. A satire about the country's modernization efforts. The institute is responsible for keeping every single clock & timepiece in sync, all day erry day 24/7/365.

Extremely enjoyable read. Some characters really stick in the head afterwards

>> No.6210279

>>6210261

looks good

>> No.6210289

bumping for more cool stuff

for all the talk about /lit going to shit if people would just post in the good threads like this one and ignore the shit ones they would be fine

>> No.6210325
File: 10 KB, 150x225, Imperial-Hubris-small-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Imperial Hubris my Michael Shurer

It was published anonymously but the author was eventually outed as working at the CIA as the head of the Bin Laden unit, after it was revealed he was the author he lost his job

the general premise of the book is that the government has lied to us about the causes of terrorism and why it happens

US politicians from boths sides of the isle maintain the lie that terrorism happens because they hate our way of life and our freedom. The truth is differant. Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden repeatedly said that the reasons they wanted to attack american targets was because of our support for the Isreali occupation of palestine, because of our support for Arab dictators and because of our bases in the middle east which they consider to be the holy land.

Basically the idea is that if we stopped supporting Isreal financially and militarily, stopped supporting Arab dictators and removed our military bases from the middle east then terrorists would not try to target us anymore. They would continue to not like us or our way of life but they wouldnt have any reason to blow themselves up or carry out elaborate plots.

Naturally this goes against the objections of the elites at the top levels of this country so they pretend terrorism is inevitable in order to not face the uncomfortable truth. Osama Bin Laden himself recommended this book in an interveiw where he basically said "that book explains why the west is losing the war on terror"

the book was written in 2003 or 2004 so its a little old but its really useful to under terrorism in the 1980's-2000's and why it happens and the root causes of it

>> No.6210327

>>6210325

*useful to understand

>> No.6210406
File: 73 KB, 337x500, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An Island to Oneself by Tom Neale

A true story of how the author on-and-off for a number of years on a small island in the South Pacific, growing his own food and catching fish, with only some cats to keep him company.

He was stranded but purposely chose to do what he did after spending time in South Pacific while he was in the US navy. An enjoyable read, especially I you have ever thought about doing some similar. The writing is pretty nice there are some exciting parts to it.

Full text pdf is online

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/an_island_to_oneself.pdf

>> No.6210412

>>6210406

*wasnt stranded

>> No.6210442

>>6210406
This nigga right here. Haven't seen a single reference to Neale in years. A fantastic book. I read a beaten copy in the college library years ago, and this fucker stuck with me so long I tracked down a pristine copy.

>> No.6210457

Not so obscure but J G Ballard's High-Rise is a great intro to all his other stuff perhaps.
Opening line:

>Later, as he sat on his balcony eating the dog, Dr Robert Laing reflected on the unusual events that had taken place within this huge apartment building during the previous three months...

>> No.6210467

I've been looking at a lot of Eastern European stuff lately so I'll post some good ones.

War With the Newts-Capek, author well known for pretty much inventing the word "robot".
Metropole-Karinthy
The Pendragon Legend-Antal Szerb
Transylvania Trilogy-Banffy

>> No.6210504
File: 42 KB, 285x475, 13062467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Edge: The Loner by George G. Gilman

70's pulp western. Most violent thing I've ever read just full of all kinds of fucked up shit happening all over the place. Every chapter feels like it's own short story introducing new characters the throwing them into a blender but it has an old school central story it sticks to pretty well too (vengeance!). Very entertaining in a grindhouse kind of way.

If you like old Eastwood westerns but thought they were too soft this is something you need to check out.

>> No.6210529

I have a recommendation and a request.

I recommend The Seeing Stone by Kenneth Crossly Holland. a kind of different take on the arthurian legend similar in some ways to the Once and Future King.

I would request any god tier history books I just finished Decline and Fall after about 8 months and I want to know what happened next. maybe something not quite as heavy as that though. Thanks for the help.

>> No.6210538

>>6210457
This is my favorite Ballard! Have you read Concrete Island?

>>6210467
RUR is really worth a read. It's based on the same premise as his War with the Newts. I'd recommend you his other plays if you're into theatre.
If you liked Karinthy son, Ferenc, you should also give a try to his father Frigyes (Journey round my skull is a good start).
My last suggestion would be Dezso Kosztolanyi, if you've not read him already! Kornel Esti, Skylark, and Alouette are sweet Hungarian novels :^)

>> No.6210550

>>6210538
someone else here, skylark was great

>> No.6210555

>>6210538

I've been gaining a more and more interest in Hungarian novels but I'll add those to my lists, I'll look into Copek's other stuff, Journey Round my Skull has also been on my to buy list for a while but cheers for the other Hungarian novel recommendations.

One more Czech novel I like is Valerie and her Week of Wonders, the movie is more well known since it's under the Criterion label but I enjoyed both of them quite a lot.

>> No.6210564

>>6210457
Not gonna judge the book, but that opening line is horrendous, man.

>> No.6210577

>>6206398
My dick.

>> No.6210594

>>6207179
That reads like a whole lot of postsecrets

>> No.6210598

>>6210325
>recommended by Osama bin Laden

This should be on the back cover of the book.

>A tour de force - Osama bin Laden

>> No.6210602

>>6206467
Red and Black is shit.
Some good obscure books:
Memoirs of a Madman-Gustave Flaubert
Nothing like the Sun-Anthony Burgess
A Woman's Life-Guy de Maupassant
Eichendorf-Life of a Good-For-Nothing

>> No.6210706

>>6210325
How is that news though? After 911 I did a google search for al queda's manifesto / reasons for doing it and it said exactly that.

>> No.6210732

>>6210706

It's news because the majority of Americans don't know that. 90% of Americans if you ask will say terrorism happens because they hate our freedom, the real reasons are never mentioned by politicians or the media and if anytime a guest on the news does there are angry denunciations directed at them.

>> No.6210940

>>6210598
>>6210598
I'd even buy 50 Shades of Grey if Osama recommended it.

>> No.6211110

Bump

>> No.6211115

>>6210504
>reading that second chapter
>some kid gets his fingers blow off one by one

Damn.

>> No.6211581
File: 1.59 MB, 2448x3264, IMG_20150212_184048.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6211587
File: 1.74 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_20150212_191843.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6211581

>> No.6211694

>>6211581

Thanks for posting that, i had wanted to read it but forgot about it

>> No.6211773
File: 28 KB, 216x323, TheDeadFather[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not really an obscure book, Donald Barthelme is hardly an unknown writer, but it's almost never talked about on /lit/,

It's the strangest and funniest book I've read. It has a prose style unlike any I've ever seen before, stripped down to the point where most of the sentences consist of like four words and otherwise are extremely long run-on lists of objects. It's difficult to say what the fuck this book is really even about beyond the surface plot of a bunch of brothers and sisters dragging their giant semi-mechanical half-dead, half-alive, seemingly omnipotent father by a cable across the countryside. It appears to be a meditation on the relationship between father and son, or maybe it's about God, or just power versus subservience in general, I'm not sure. It's incredibly surrealist/symbolist but at the same time very tongue-in-cheek and funny.

It's weird as shit and not very everyone by any means, but I liked it a lot.

>> No.6212021

>>6211115
Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next one.

>> No.6212079

>>6210602
>Red and Black is shit.
>Here are MY recommendations

Anon, do you really expect to be taken seriously?

Even if you have somehow enjoyed works that happen to be of great artistic merit, it was not due to the fact that you possess any critical know-how and cognitive competence necessary to discern quality art from shit, but purely a coincidence that has falsely given birth to an impression that your life is anything other a pathetic waste of time and matter that could have been used to form something useful and enjoyable, like a house plant for example.

>> No.6212307
File: 29 KB, 220x346, 51kQJnwyakL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Owen Barfield, esoteric as fuck

>> No.6212343

>>6207829
> using bleeding fucking cowboys commercially
who'd have thought it could have got worse than the title alone

>> No.6212366

Doctor Glas - Hjalmar Söderberg

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/oct/26/classics.margaretatwood

Here's my 6 word summary:
30ish virgin beta doctor murders priest

>> No.6212370

>>6206439
Not obscure. I used to see this one mentioned on /lit/ fairly often.

>> No.6212378

>>6206907
Not at all obscure. One of England's most famous comedy novels.

>> No.6212392

>>6208081
Wow, I need to check this out. I'm a rural Minnesotan. Thanks for the recommendation.

>> No.6212418

>>6208081
what's up with NYRB always having

a) pretty good covers
b) great books everybody forgot
?

I can choose a book of their's at random, I've usually never heard of it before and it turns out to be good to great. What magic are these wizards working? Maybe I don't know these books because I'm not American?

>> No.6212441

>>6212418
No, a lot of those great forgotten books aren't even American. I don't know how they do it, but I'm glad they do. They have excellent taste over there. I'd be honored to work for them.

>> No.6212460
File: 217 KB, 1200x1600, IMG_0287.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6206398
As a 10-year-old, this was my Infinite Jest. I know /lit/ doesn't concern themselves with childrens books much in the first place, book this is a fine book every kid should read, even in translation.

>> No.6212518
File: 225 KB, 814x1296, 9781921556753.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

About to start reading this. Not that obscure, but rarely (if ever?) discussed on /lit/. This translation is supposed to follow the Polish metre, as opposed to the more famous translation by KR Mackenzie, which is translated into the English iambic pentameter. Weyland got a heap of national recognition (both in Poland, and his new country Australia) for his translations, so it must be alright. I found his translation for free online, but the formatting was a mess so I've been reformatting it to put it on my ereader.

>The book was first published in June 1834 in Paris, and is considered by many to be the last great epic poem in European literature. Pan Tadeusz is recognized as the national epic of Poland.

Has anyone read Pan Tadeusz, either in the original language, or in translation?

>> No.6212520

>>6210564
but hes eating the dog! Thats crazy, people dont eat dogs! Dont you want to know what happened in the previous three months to lead him to this unusual situation??

>> No.6212557
File: 170 KB, 1423x943, 130129-Laughing-girls-Hexinnian-with-logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6212520
>he doesn't eat dogs

>> No.6212677

>>6206398
Oms en serie, by Stefan Wul
Jealousy, The Erasers, and The Voyeur, by Alain Robbe-Grillet

>> No.6212991

>>6206524
I've read all of Kafka EXCEPT Amerika. It seems like I can never find it anywhere I go.

>> No.6214175

>>6208085
>>6208114

thanks for the heads up, I was about to search for/download the comic at school. Very glad I did not. Put a warning next time please whoever did the original post

>> No.6214249
File: 34 KB, 500x383, 855837.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6206524
>kafka
>obscure

>> No.6214275
File: 9 KB, 197x320, SKETCH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sketch of a last day, was brilliant. A short book in the same vein as 1984 and Brave New World. Only issue I have with it is that you can tell that it is his first novel.

>> No.6214288
File: 11 KB, 338x450, jalousie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never even seen Robbe-Grillet mentioned here, but you faggots seem to love all that post-modernist shit, and Robbe-Grillet's work can be seen as the crossover between modernist and postmodernist, if you want to see it that way.

Dunno if it's any good in translation, even the title of this one is hard to translate effectively.

>> No.6215251
File: 68 KB, 530x600, simpsonssmug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6207829

>mfw I own that book

>> No.6215264

>>6214175
>thanks for the heads up, I was about to search for/download the comic at school. Very glad I did not. Put a warning next time please whoever did the original post
>>>/facebook/

>> No.6216286
File: 50 KB, 251x396, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Society of the Spectacle but Guy Debord

It isn't exactly unknown on /lit but people rarely talk about it and I don't think it is in any of the lists from the sticky.

If you havnt read it yet I would highly recommend. It offers a really interesting perspective on society and consumerism in particular. To some extent a lot of the stuff in the book was something I already understood subconsciously but I was helpful and interesting to see it presented in the book.

I think reading the book for many people would also allow them to improve how they communicate and interact with others, through helping them understand which actions or thoughts are more genuine and which are based on or created in reaction to images and ideas that are thrust into our lives by the Spectacle or consumerism, those images and ideas sometimes creating confusion or alienation and impairing our judgement without us realizing.

It's a really valuable book to read but I feel like it is not discussed on /lit really at all because the usual memes and contrarian-positions that inevitably persist with any real discussion of a book is antithetical to the ideas presented in the book, essentially that in our drive to troll, make memes and oppose something just to oppose it we are buying into and being seduced by the illusion of the spectacle, and that being aware of this makes people not want to talk about it and instead want to just continue shitposting.

Either way I would highly recommend it, it's worth owning a physical copy of but it's also online as a PDF.

http://www.antiworld.se/project/references/texts/The_Society%20_Of%20_The%20_Spectacle.pdf

>> No.6216293

>>6216286
that book is for formerly edgy gen xers who are now advertising execs

>> No.6216295

This was a good thread, bumping for more recs

>> No.6216303

>>6216293

How so, that dosnt seem to make much sense. Can you elaborate or support you're assertion with any evidence?

>> No.6216335

You may like All Quiet on The Orient Express, by Magnus Mills.

>> No.6216355
File: 10 KB, 156x256, lovedone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Seconded with above ^ Some nice contributions :)

I don't know how if this book (and author) is all obscure, but I have fond memories of it.

Also to the dude >>6207552 about the Devils of Loudun, I really agree. All of of Huxley's lesser-known books are great, and I'd especially recommend After Many A Summer Dies The Swan... it's an interesting middle-point in his career.

>> No.6216357

>>6216335
>>6206907 Forgot to quote

>>6207552
BBC documentary about film censorship www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ppqutUB23A features the Devils of Loudon and Russell quite prominently

>> No.6216367

>>6211581
AWW YEAH, nice post, I will one day read that book and stroke Marguerite Young's imaginary monomaniacal pussy in the process

>> No.6216377

>>6216355

Yea his earlier works are a little dry but still quality /lit. I liked the genius and the goddess.

>> No.6216394

>>6216377
I think it's the same phenomenon with Burgess and his greater known work being famous for being out there despite most of them being more out there than Clockwork Orange. Hippies picked up Huxley and his pedigree got lost in translation.

>> No.6216487
File: 28 KB, 318x467, 553788.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was loaned this copy of The Miner by Soseki from a friend of mine and I stupidly lost it while on the way back from my trip I took to visit where he lived.

Fell from a rip at the bottom of my bag which I was carrying with me.

This is a more recent cover of the book, paperback, and while costing a lot less than the more commonly sold hardback copy on Amazon and the like, is much much harder to find. My friend pretty much got lucky to buy this copy for less than 30 bucks.

tfw a stupid nigger
tfw ill never read past page 63
tfw there aren't any pdfs

>> No.6216496

>>6216487

So you've lost your friend's book and the thing you're worried about is that you can't get a pdf?

You're a fucking piece of work aren't you? This is why I never lend books to anyone.

>> No.6216526

>>6216496

Sorry I didn't stress enough about how much I was more down about losing the book than my friend was.

The reason I brought up the no pdf thing is, that is the sole reason my friend decided to buy the book.

Trust me when I say I'm a lot more mad about losing the book than I show. It had sentimental value to me, something I had to return to him.

Been looking everywhere to buy another copy yet it's nowhere to be found online.

>> No.6216556

>>6216526

Just get a copy off amazon and then you can finish the book and then give it back to them, if you explain what happened they probably won't care its a different edition

>> No.6216567
File: 30 KB, 335x475, 378498.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the elementary school that i went to had pretty much any book a kid could get excited about, everything from jack london to r. l. stine. i read a ton of forgettable books, because even a series about girls having misadventures in babysitting was better than trying to talk to people :(. but there was one book that i remembered years after, because the mood was pretty odd for a children's book. it was about an orphan who clung to the idea of himself as intellectually superior that his grandmother had instilled in him while making sure that people demanded as little from him as possible by never learning to spell correctly. he got adopted by a creepy dude who made him feel special for a while before a whole sequences of veiled references to abuse and general weirdness. i remembered the title as a misspelling of "drop dead", but couldn't find any mention of it on the internet and was about to make a thread here in order to track it down until i googled it and apparently it got a reprint? the new cover is hideous, but what can u do.

anyway, maybe i'll re-read this thing to find out if it was measures up to my memories.

>> No.6216576

>>6216556

The hardback copy with a shittier cover costs 86 bucks on amazon.

yfw

>> No.6216579

>>6216526

I'd smack you in the fucking chops. How do you drop a book out of your bag and not fucking notice? Are you some kind of cretin?

>> No.6216593

>>6216579

Was carrying one bag with a bunch of things I bought for myself.

It was one bag inside of another bag actually and all of my things were in the inner bag while I left my friend's book in the outer bag because I periodically took it out to read it.

I had to carry this bag while using a kick scooter to get to this bus I had to use to go home and somehow caused a rip at the bottom.

It was just a series of unfortunate conditions leading to it's fall which went unnoticed by me until I was already too far away. Not to mention that I was already stressed on time because of a need to get to work(I work night time at a bakery).

>> No.6216604

>>6216593
>I had to carry this bag while using a kick scooter

This is some kind of joke, right?

>> No.6216608

>>6216604

y-you too

I have a bike but it's not that convenient because I was taking buses and trains.

>> No.6216635
File: 226 KB, 263x751, cunt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6216608

I swear to christ you need a slap. Fucking entitled hipster piece of shit.

>> No.6216658

>>6214249
>Post good books that you never see talked about on /lit because they are rare, obscure or otherwise not widely known

I believe Amerika fits this. I in fact never see it discussed on here and don't think it is widely known like Metamorphosis, The Trial, etc. Also, op was about books, not authors. Are you even literate? And one last thing, if you wanted to point out Kafka is not obscure, how do you not say the same for Huxley, Heller, Vonnegut, and Hesse? They are all at least as well known as Kafka. You really are a fucking moron.

>> No.6216802
File: 45 KB, 314x475, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Rinpoche

This is some pretty esoteric stuff. The book is about lucid dreaming and it's role within Tibetan. Buddhism and how there are certain practices involving lucid dreaming. The book is written by someone who grew up in Tibet and was schooled in the practice. In order to fully under stand the book you need to have a decent undertaking of Buddhism as well as of lucid dreaming and in order to actually use the methods taught in the book you need to be at the stage where you can have lucid dreams multiple times a week if you are trying hard for it.

It's interesting, Mahayana Buddhism is the only major religion that not only acknowledges the phenomena of lucid dreaming but also integrates it into its practice.

Tibetan dream yoga basically is made up of various Buddhist practices and forms of meditation that you practice while dreaming after you had become lucid. One premise for practicing dream yoga is that if one is incapable of maintaining the Buddhist practice when dreaming then one has a not-so-good chance of maintaining the correct mind-state when you die.

While regular lucid dreamers usually go flying or have sex after becoming lucid someone practicing dream yoga would enter into a state of meditation and awareness, remaining lucid but not engaging with the dream and instead focusing on the moment as in traditional meditation.

I have not delved that deeply into actually practicing what is taught in the book although I plan to in the future. I had one experience where after becoming lucid I began meditating and entered in a blissful state surrounded by light for an extended period and when I woke up I felt amazing.

Full text is online

http://archive.org/stream/TheTibetianYogasOfDreamAndSleep/TibetanYogasOfDreamAndSleep_djvu.txt

>> No.6217033

bump

>> No.6217217
File: 25 KB, 260x400, the-seven-madmen-by-roberto-arlt-1782831487.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6206398

No love for Arlt here?

>> No.6217241

>>6216802
Interesting, thanks ..I have had lucid buddhist dreams before so relevant tmi

>> No.6217321

>>6217217
I like him a lot, but I didn't think he could be appreciated in another language but Spanish (from the pic you posted, I imagine you read it in English). What did you like about the book?

>> No.6217612
File: 47 KB, 310x475, if on a winter's night.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This, and all Calvino really. The book is entirely second person, and is about you, the reader, trying to read the titular book. But the copy you buy is a misprint, so you return it.

But now you want to finish the story you started, so you check out that book. But it's wrong too.

Then you meet a girl with the same problem, and her neo-fascist sister, and her crazy friend. And somehow you have sex, then end up in South America, then Switzerland, all in pursuit of a book.

And the titles of all the books you read form the opening sentence of a book.

>> No.6217708

>>6217612

that sounds really good

>> No.6217738

>>6217612
Woooooaooaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

>> No.6217758

Lavoura Arcaica.

It's sort of well-known here in Brazil, but I don't think many people have haerd of it elsewhere.

I'd rate it 6,5/10. Its a good book.

>> No.6217851

>>6214288
I read this in the original language not too long ago.
Very impressive book. There's no plot to speak of and whatever we learn about the characters is superficial and contradictory. What's interesting is the way the narrator tells the "story", through the increasingly obsessive use of repetition and the detailed description of the mundane.

>> No.6217930

>>6206398
/lit/ never talks about Saramago or Kundera, even though they go on and on about Kafka and Nabakov. This burns my bubbles.

>> No.6217950
File: 16 KB, 226x346, qg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Probably the best example of a page-turner that I can think of. Reading it feels effortless and there's a great payoff.

It's about an orphaned chess prodigy, basically female Bobby Fischer struggling to rise through the ranks.

>> No.6217965
File: 11 KB, 226x346, 41YP0qjkaJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is this obscure? I don't know.

Enjoyed the very observant stream of consciousness style.

It captures the feeling of a sexual fetish in its deepest stages very accurately without actually talking about any fetish specifically

Wish the main character would be more like the one in Perfume though.

>> No.6217971

And I'm just sitting here wondering how I'm going to find the time to read all these ;-;

>> No.6218011

>>6212307

This seems absent on libgen and kickass and piratebay's undergoing maintenance. Anyone got DL links from elsewhere, pls?

>> No.6218032

>>6211773
Sounds like faulkner's as i lay dying

>> No.6218044

>>6209011
Mexico might be one of the worst books I've ever read. Life's too short

>> No.6218099

>>6210154
Brian Aldiss is great. Should check out Hothouse if you haven't already.

>> No.6218124

>>6206398
Jack London's The Road.

Not to be confused with McCarthy's. It is an autobiographical collection of stuff Jack wrote while living the hobobumtramp life. It is a look at a time long past, days of freight train hopping and the not so wild yet not so tamed west. A good look at that kind of life style.

Also I'm going to mention You Can't Win by Jack Black here as it is along the same lines. One man's story of his journey's as a bum, a robber, an opium addict, and more. It is full of action and old time feel that is lost to us today. While serving a moral and ethical dialogue on thievery, crime and punishment throughout the story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_%28Jack_London%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Black_%28author%29

>> No.6218140

>>6217950
It's unfortunate how overlooked Tevis is. The movie versions of The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth have really overshadowed the books, to the extent that many people probably don't realise they're based on novels (though in the case of Color of Money, it's in name only). The Queen's Gambit the best one I've read by him, though.

>> No.6218146

You know you're pleb as fuck if you have nothing to contribute to a thread about obscure books. But let's see how long we can keep this on front page anyway.

>> No.6218254
File: 33 KB, 315x475, The_Metamorphosis_of_Prime_Intellect_(cover).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So this novella was never actually physically published, but eventually was hosted by a website where you can still find it today. It was written in 1994 by a computer programmer, yet the ideas in it are relatively ahead of their time. Essentially, it's about a technological singularity launched by an artificially intelligent computer who taps into the BIOS of reality by fiddling with a 'quirk' of quantum mechanics. Anyway, once this occurs, the computer 'Prime Intellect' begins simulating reality virtually, giving everyone their own personal spaces where they can control everything from light to gravity, and immortality, as dictated by Asimov's three laws of robotics. The story then focuses on "Death Jockeys," people who find creative ways to kill themselves and others in their own virtual spaces.

Anyway, the whole thing isn't very well written, has a few grammar mistakes, typos, etc., and also has a slightly mediocre ending, but anyone interested in virtual reality, technological singularities, artificial intelligence, snuff-film level gore, masochism, descriptive sex scenes, or science fiction in general should definitely check this out, especially considering it can be read in a day.

>> No.6218499

>>6206706
inb4 ad hominem but what I'm reading of the author on wikipedia is less than convincing:

Chussodovsky was said to hold that the U.S. had fore-knowledge of the September 11 attacks and the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami; that Washington had weapons that could influence climate change; and that the large banking institutions are the cause of the collapse of smaller economies, characterised by O'Neill as " more like wild-eyed conspiracy theories than serious political discourse".[20]

>> No.6218501

>>6218499
>implying he's incorrect about any of those

>> No.6218518

>>6210538

Skylark and Alouette are the same book you dumb name-dropping bitch.

>> No.6218521
File: 210 KB, 525x770, karinthy--please-sir.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6210538
>If you liked Karinthy son, Ferenc, you should also give a try to his father Frigyes
This is one of my favourite novellas, its out of print but you can read it online here http://mek.oszk.hu/00700/00770/00770.htm

>> No.6218525

>>6218501
jokes aside, we can't deny the possibility but on what evidence does one make those claims [the first two]? (serious question)

>> No.6218530

>>6218525
especially the second

>> No.6218542

>>6216635
>>6216604
>>6216579

hang yourself you fool

>> No.6218567

>>6207572
I-I want this...

>> No.6218569

>>6207707
I love birds. I guess I have to read this then.

>> No.6218599

>>6218499
>>6218525

If you read the book it details how large banking institutions cause the collapse of smaller economies when they dont play ball with the IMF and WTO, its very well documented.

It is also very well documented that agents in the FBI who were investigating the hijackers were called off the investigation by their superiors, there were also put options on the stocks of the airliners involved that day that only could have been made by someone looking to profit from the drop in the airline stock after the events of the day, both of these are a matter of public record.

>> No.6218603

>>6216567
>>6218124
>Jack London
A shame he is so rarely discussed here, even if namedropped quite a bit.

Sea-Wolf is his best work. Wolf Larsen is one of my favourite characters in all of literature.

>>6206398
Die Blendung bei Canetti (in english it is Auto Da Fe, I think).
Deserved the nobel price it got. A world full of diluded people who live seemingly entirely in their own head and never understand/purposefully misunderstand what the other characters want, not realizing how totally insane they all become. An example: a wife wants to get a divorce from her husband and thinks that he must have a lot of money she will inherit, so she mentions a lot of money (about a hundred times more of what he actually has) that she plans to give to her lover to support his business idea. (Yes, they speak this openly about it which is hillarious since they never get what the other actually means.) Her husband understands it like they are getting a lot of money from some inheritance of some dead uncle of hers or something, and already plans to spend that amount on enlarging his private library.
When his wife asks him to make a testament (which he assumes is just a marriage thing) she is disappointed when he only writes a hundredth of what she assumed he owns. (Which she assumed for literally no reason whatsoever, just out of sheer self-delusion.) She then assumes he hides a lot of money and wants to give it to some imaginairy brother that never visits, and spends the next few chapters practicing to write a 0 the way he does to "correct" the "wrong" testament. When she finally tries she makes way too many zeroes, and it goes from there.

It is hillarious, you should all read it right now.

>> No.6218657
File: 459 KB, 1575x2475, deep_vellum_pitol_aof_cover_rgb-digital.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this just got translated and he almost died a some weeks ago.
it's basically a collection of autofictional vignettes that are sometimes closer to veing essays but sometimes they are closer to short stories too, but it's also a diary of sorts and there's certainly a bit of a chronicle every now and then. it's also really funny, not shallow yet not dense at all even when he ponders about art, literature and writing, because it definitely is metafictional too. he traveled a lot during his youth so there's all kinds of places there, and he was a recognized translator, so he brings up some of his favorite books and discusses them with enthusiasm rather than academic rigor, but he still manages to rediscover something in those works.

>> No.6218745
File: 21 KB, 307x475, 4186HJ9937L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Jayne Anne Phillips's reputation-making debut collection paved the way for a new generation of writers. Raved about by reviewers and embraced by the likes of Raymond Carver, Frank Conroy, Annie Dillard, and Nadine Gordimer, Black Tickets now stands as a classic.

>With an uncanny ability to depict the lives of men and women who rarely register in our literature, Phillips writes stories that lay bare their suffering and joy. Here are the abused and the abandoned, the violent and the passive, the impoverished and the disenfranchised who populate the small towns and rural byways of the country. A patron of the arts reserves his fondest feeling for the one man who wants it least. A stripper, the daughter of a witch, escapes from poverty into another kind of violence. A young girl during the Depression is caught between the love of her crazy father and the no less powerful love of her sorrowful mother. These are great American stories that have earned a privileged place in our literature.

link for you e-book faggots:
>Jayne Anne Phillips - Black Tickets.epub
>a.pomf.se/pfciqv.epub

>> No.6219705
File: 222 KB, 510x680, Shiiiiet - The Novel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Henry Townsend, a black farmer, bootmaker, and former slave, has a fondness for Paradise Lost and an unusual mentor -- William Robbins, perhaps the most powerful man in antebellum Virginia's Manchester County. Under Robbins's tutelage, Henry becomes proprietor of his own plantation -- as well as of his own slaves. When he dies, his widow, Caldonia, succumbs to profound grief, and things begin to fall apart at their plantation: slaves take to escaping under the cover of night, and families who had once found love beneath the weight of slavery begin to betray one another. Beyond the Townsend estate, the known world also unravels: low-paid white patrollers stand watch as slave "speculators" sell free black people into slavery, and rumors of slave rebellions set white families against slaves who have served them for years.

>An ambitious, luminously written novel that ranges seamlessly between the past and future and back again to the present, The Known World weaves together the lives of freed and enslaved blacks, whites, and Indians -- and allows all of us a deeper understanding of the enduring multidimensional world created by the institution of slavery.

link:
>The Known World.epub
>a.pomf.se/aozzzk.epub

>> No.6219951

>>6217708
>>6217738
How is calvino obscure

>> No.6219988

>>6206439
share pdf/epub ?

>> No.6220175

>>6218254
You had me at snuff-level gore.

>> No.6220199

>>6220175
fellow gorehound here; can you recommend any books with good descriptions of gore and gory sequences? a focus on texture and color is preferred.

>> No.6220211

>>6220199
Swans' Michael Gira wrote a bunch of "gory" short stories, see "The Collector"

"Apocalypse Culture" may have some things up your alley, a bit hard to find, I bought my copy from an antiquary, features some interesting pictures from a guy who hangs himself on hooks to get closer to God

Jack Ketchum wrote a ton of very graphic/gory slasher thrillers, choose any

>> No.6220229

I have a Romanized Japanese Holy Bible from the late 1800's.

It's in decent shape too.

>> No.6220311 [DELETED] 

>>6220229

post a pic fuccboi

>> No.6220328

bump

>> No.6220459

>>6220199

definitely check this out, too >>6218254

>> No.6220491

"The Well at the World's End" by William Morris is a truly marvelous tale. If you're not a fan of chivalric romances and their rambling plots I would suggest avoiding it. For those who tackle the book, however, you will enter a sublime story that is a worthy addition to the chivalric canon.

>> No.6220501
File: 21 KB, 200x315, thought_gang_tibor_fischer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6206398

I haven't read pic related for ages, but when I did I raved about it and everyone I recommended it to enjoyed it.

It's a kind of metaphysical detective story with a lot of words which start with the letter Z.

I might have to see if I can download a copy and re-read it myself.

Also Cosmic Banditos, but some guy who's name I can never rememeber, Might be Weisbeck or Weismuller or something. I laughed my arse off at that, and it taught me a lot about weird science shit.

>> No.6220895

>>6206891

http://monoskop.org/log/?p=10933

>> No.6221600

>>6219951
Well I've only seen him mentioned on /lit/ once or twice, even though postmodernism comes up a lot. And the only person I know that has heard of him is my Literature Professor, who knows everyone. I live in America; go figure

>> No.6221607

>>6221600

Calvino is mentioned on /lit/ at least twenty times a day

>> No.6221655
File: 167 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 8-8-14 at 4.07 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A fantasy about Japanese/Jewish genocide. It was my uncle's before he died and my pops gave it to me.

>> No.6221659 [DELETED] 
File: 127 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 8-8-14 at 4.08 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6221655

>> No.6221666
File: 126 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 8-8-14 at 4.08 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6221655

>> No.6221719

>>6221666

>666

>> No.6221748
File: 53 KB, 982x246, Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 11.10.14 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6217612
calvino is mentioned pretty often here
>>6214288
can anyone speak to the quality of translations of this?

>> No.6221766
File: 35 KB, 326x500, Q.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6217612
What, I've literally heard of that book through /lit/, it's discussed here all the time

Anyway, this isn't exactly obsucre, but I've never seen anyone on /lit/ talk about it

>> No.6221868

>>6212079
Stay mad, how about your recommendations?
House plants scream similar to a child which is what you're behaving like when you try to defend Red and Black because the main character who tries to be a Napoleon is as shitty as the book. Like you he is an untermensch who thinks he is an übermensch without possesing discernible redeeming qualities and oratory power of say Raskolnikov.

>> No.6221894

Bump

>> No.6221937

>>6220211

>Apocalypse Culture

This?
http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Culture-Adam-Parfrey/dp/0922915059/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425450110&sr=1-1&keywords=apocalypse+culture

>> No.6221952
File: 42 KB, 357x500, miyazaki.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can anyone rec me any Japanese authors who are sort of off the beaten track? I've read books by Ryu Murakami, Yasushi Inoue, Kenzaburo Oe, Osamu Dazai, Yoko Ogawa, Kobo Abe and Shinichi Hoshi. These authors have quite a back catalog that I've barely scratched but I'm always looking for new recs as I have access to a pretty good library.

Some authors on my list to read: Shusaku Endo, Ryu Mitsuse, Akutagawa, Soseki, Yoshimoto, Yoshikawa, Ooka, Kafu Nagai, Mishima (haven't been able to get through his style tbh)

I just read that "The Clouds Above the Hill" got translated into English so I'm going to see if I can get my hands on that too

tl;dr Obscure Jap books pls

>> No.6221973

Ivan Turgenev-Father and Children : A son returns home from college in pre-emancipation Russia, and he brings his nihilistic mentor with him.

Not obscure by any means, it's a classic, but I rarely seen anyone really discus Turgenev here. It's a story about passage, about living somewhere between the past and the future and dealing with that. Very subtle character piece.

>> No.6222039

I think I've only ever seen one mention of Peter Watts' Blindsight, which is how I came to read it in the first place. Excellent hard sci-fi with astrong Lovecraftian atmosphere--it's more Lovecraftian than Lovecraft's actual stuff, I'd say, with a stronger sense of dread if not actual scariness, particularly in the middle part when the main characters set foot on the alien homeworld. The best part is, though I say Lovecraftian, the aliens aren't even those typically incomprehensible eldritch abominations, as, this being a hard sci-fi, there is an explanation for them, but, without spoiling anything, that doesn't necessarily make their existence, and by extension the scientific and philosophical concepts Watts means them to represent, any less horrible to contemplate. The author even has an appendix at the end backing up some of his stuff with some actual science and some recs of his own, most notably this philosophy book called "Being No One: The Self-Model Theory of Subjectivity," by Thomas Metzinger which, though I haven't finished it yet, I'm liking enough so far to recommend myself, though I don't want to spoil Blindsight by telling you what Being No One's About. Both books are available for free online, at least last time I checked, the former on Watts' website, the latter just sitting right on the front page of google if you type in the title and subtitle. Oh, and a sequel for Blindsight, called Echopraxia, just came out.
I'm wondering if anyone has any more horror and/or nonfiction recs themselves?

>> No.6222098

>>6206847
Anyone know of a similarly obscure book about a lord and his castle in a secluded part of medieval Europe, where the staff must conduct some sort of ritual regularly without ever knowing the reasons why?

I think it details several generations of the family in charge.

>> No.6222120

>>6221952
Been digging Edogawa Ranpo. His penname and style are aped from Edger Alan Poe, but he's got some good stuff. The short story "The Caterpillar" in particular I like.
If you like Kobo Abe, you might like him.

>> No.6222121
File: 29 KB, 217x346, tos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is probably the most obscure book i actually own. Bought it at a used book store, not knowing anything about it. A quite creepy tale.

>> No.6222131

These are good threads. We should have more of these threads

>> No.6222365

>>6221952
in the last sharethread we had somebody post a .zip file full of japanese lit with lots of great stuff, look for it in the archive.

>> No.6222417

>>6222365
Didn't we used to have a bunch of ebook archives of various categories?

>> No.6222508

>>6207555
Babbitt is a great book anon, even America wants to make it seem Lewis never existed

>> No.6222518

Itt: Pure unaltered shit.

>> No.6222524

>>6222518
>ITT
I think you meant "ITP."

>> No.6222547

>>6222417
exactly, and one of those was jap lit, and it was the most extensive archive.

>> No.6222550

Thomas Bernhard is too rarely discussed on this site. He is one of the most interesting Austrian authors of the twentieth century.

>> No.6222559

>>6222417
>>6222547
>>6222365
These are linked on the 4chanlit wiki: http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Literature_by_origin
search for "download"

Some of these are down though, especially anonfiles sucks :( The Japanese one seems to be up though

>> No.6222661

Read "the meme" by charles jabronnis

>> No.6222714
File: 90 KB, 269x305, cunt_blister.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6218542

>> No.6223021

>>6222039

I liked "The Terror" by Dan Simmons

spooky

>> No.6224853

>>6223021
Hyperion is good too

Sequels a shit though

>> No.6225148
File: 137 KB, 752x581, 1425261085122.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6221868
Listen, listen.
This is what I'd like you to do. I do not speak maliciously, this is merely some friendly, helpful advice.

You see this post that you have, for some reason, decided to write down and post? Okay, now I'd like you to screengrab it or copy the content of the post and save it somewhere on your computer.

What I suggest you do then is turn off your computer, consult some basic list of literary classics, a canon of sorts, and start perusing it. After a few years pass, when you become of age, and have attained some knowledge, eloquence, wisdom and a solid-to-good taste in literature, you may turn on your computer, read your post once more and - repent.

Congratulations, you may now read The Red and the Black.
Enjoy, anon.
I am truly glad for you.

>> No.6225420

>>6222550
You Can delete the 'austrian' if you feel like it.

>>6206847
Just Found out this is being translated to my native language right now. Will read.

>> No.6225422

>>6222131

agreed

>> No.6225425

>>6225148
made me kek. good job, brah

>> No.6225434
File: 285 KB, 1920x1080, Dinotopia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

niggas dont even know

>> No.6225520
File: 22 KB, 200x308, uncle napoleon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My Uncle Napoleon by Iraj Pezeshkzad

One of the most popular works of modern Iranian fiction and probably the funniest novel I've ever read. A hilarious farce centering around a teenage romance thwarted by the delusions of a family patriarch who believes the British Empire is personally out to destroy him. Cannot recommend highly enough.

>> No.6225762

>>6225520

do you have any more quality Iranian lit you would recommend?

its a country I'm really interested in

>> No.6225935

>>6221748
I'm sorry. I guess I've never really seen a thread about him, just mentioned in passing. But outside of /lit/, I've never heard of him

>> No.6226448

>>6222120
>>6222365

thanks bros