[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 51 KB, 605x475, 1404795443812.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6176309 No.6176309 [Reply] [Original]

I'd imagine most of us are in our early to mid 20's, right? Where did those of you who've managed to read most and understand the canon find the time to do so? Considering start with the Greeks is actually an accurate assessment, where does one find the time and patience to read all the pre-requisite works to acquire an adequate comprehension of literature by Joyce or Heidegger or Foucault. Or do you all really just skim Wikipedia and shitpost about things you don't understand?

>> No.6176315

be NEET and read the classics all day for 3 years

>> No.6176325

Studied literature and philosophy in undergrad, then did MA, and now working on PhD. Greek philosophy was actually my first class beyond intro. It worked out well.

>> No.6176351

Just read a little every day. Keep the stuff on your head and think about it.

I don't watch TV or movies so my entertainment time is usually spent on books.

The biggest thing is to keep at it. You really don't need to go for hours in a text. Read a fragment at a time and let yourself think about it. Understanding the Greeks is more about getting into their heads than it is about volume of reading.

It's like staying fit, not Everyone can go to the gym all the time, but the guy who does pushups at home couple times a week and eats Healthy will still end up much better than the guy who says fuck it and does nothing