[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 254x420, DUNE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6118552 No.6118552 [Reply] [Original]

>Be me
>Love anything related to sci fi (short films, documentaries, video games, movies, even pictures.)
>been reading this new york times best seller my father bought me
>Halfway tru I realize I could be reading some sci fi book instead of this
>google "top 10 sci fi books of all times"
>DUNE #1
>kk lets do it
>got isbn and ordered the first three books (original trilogy)

What now? do you guys like these books? Its been years since the last time I got excited about buying a book!

>> No.6118555

I forgot to mention ive never heard of the series until now.

>> No.6118562

>>6118552
First one's amazing (but slow if you're not used to that kind of thing). Later ones fall off a bit.

It's always really weird to me that people don't think of science fiction as something that takes place in books, because to me, that's always been the absolute center of the genre. Science fiction is literature and then some other things around those books and stories.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Some other recommendations: The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1 - classic collection of all-time-great short stories by a bunch of different authors. The Stars My Destination, Alfred Bester - imaginative, brilliant, fun science fiction retelling of Count of Monte Cristo. Gateway by Fred Pohl - one of the great science fiction novels in terms of the purity of combining visions of the future, visions of alien races, and specifically human concerns. Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey - nothing innovative but really fun, you'll love it.

>> No.6118572

I really liked the first movie, back when I read it I felt like it was the "LOTR of SF", *the* classic of the genre to read, but I recently tried re-reading it before reading the second one and it felt much less awe-inspiring, not sure why... The politics is still really cool.

Could never really get into the second one for similar reasons, but I like that the "messiah" Paul becomes an anti-hero over the sequels, his holiness is a bit annoying in the first book.

>> No.6118576

>>6118572
I would argue that this is always kind of the case even in Dune itself; it's important to remember that Dune is a tragedy. That concept is developed in later books but it's incipient even in the first one.

>> No.6118580

Definitely get book number 4 as well, I think it is the best of the series.

>> No.6118582

>>6118552
It's good OP. Don't go in expecting too much but it's fun even if it gets pretty weird.

>> No.6118590

>>6118576
Hmm true! It seems like it is indeed time for a re-read

also I didn't mean "movie" in >>6118572 obviously

>> No.6118597
File: 26 KB, 550x379, 1412120901273.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6118552

Congrats on beating the odds and becoming a book owner this year. Dune is a great SF novel. The second one is fairly good but weird. Apparently it just gets stranger and stranger after that. Check the /lit/ wiki for more science fiction recs, or pretty much anything.

>>6118562

>because to me, that's always been the absolute center of the genre

agreed. Even if only for practical reasons there will always be more quality print SF than SF films.

>> No.6119071

>>6118562
I started to love sci fi thanks to videogames, but books are the real thing. They seems to decide what works in the other medias about the genre, and you can find a more varied take on the visions.

>Gateway
Oh god, I can't explain how much I love the ending

>> No.6119101
File: 574 KB, 1144x426, dune.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6118552

>> No.6119262

>>6118576
YUUUP. A friend has been talking on FB today about how he hasn't read Dune but his wife has and we both want him to read it. Some neckbeard chucklefuck is saying it's shit because it's just "hero with superpowers is prophesied to save the world" cliches. I can't figure out if he's actually reading a Bizarro World copy of Dune or if he's just that fucking illiterate.

>> No.6119293

>>6119101

pretty accurate

>> No.6119297

I read the first book only.
It's been ok, worth reading.
But it was not good enough to convince me to read on.
And the first book is so self-contained, that it leaves no unfinished threads.
I don't get why people say it's brilliant.

>> No.6119300

Dune sucked

>> No.6119301
File: 3.33 MB, 2001x3881, 1409926558372.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read everything on this chart, also Gene Wolfe who was left off for some reason but is one of the best sci-fi writers ever.

Also lots of Sci-fi short story collections and anthologies like Dangerous Visions

>> No.6119448

>>6119301
good chart

>> No.6119903

>>6119301
OP here
Im def looking into that
Thanks for the chart

>> No.6119922

>>6118552
OP, Dune is fantastic. The second one is a definite downgrade but mostly solid. The third one is actually kind of shit and written poorly and all-around strange. BUT, it's worth miring through 2 and 3 just to get to 4, when everything goes flying off the rails in the most amazing way imaginable and it's very close to the quality of the first again.

Then make sure to not read a single thing Dune after that because the series becomes shit.

>> No.6119928

>>6119903
nigger fucking read the sticky

>> No.6119955

>>6118552
I'm a fan of sci-fi in general but I found Dune to be very disappointing considering the hype around it. Didn't like it at all

>> No.6119969

>>6118552
>Love anything related to sci fi
>Hasn't even read babby's first sci-fi book
Get the fuck out of here.

>> No.6119981

>>6118552
I think the concept for Dun is brilliant, but Herbert is a pretty shitty writer and the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

I just watched the Sci-Fi chanel series btw, it was surprisingly good.

>> No.6120027

OP; read Phil K Dick
easily the most fun literature I've ever read, because you can finish his books in a sitting or two and they're almost all hung on some wacky scifi parable

what if ai and humans were indistinguishable
what if a schizophrenic undercover drug cop got assigned to investigate himself
what if you woke up and suddenly had no records of existing
what your reality started degenerating and everything reverse aged around you
what if time was backwards for everyone and they adapted to living in such a world
what if the man responsible for the apocalypse survived the apocalypse
what if the nazis won world war two
what if world war 3 was a sham put on by the powers that be

etc.

its like stoned conversations being fleshed out into books

>> No.6120039

>>6119928
I did
>>6120027
Ill look into it im driving to the library

>> No.6120047

>>6119981
Same lol. The video games are good too. Seemed more like fantasy than sci-fi but its no. 1 ? might have to read it.

>> No.6120060

>>6119301

I opened it expecting to get into a world of criticism, but then I saw it was pretty bro list. Man. Delightful.

>> No.6120206

lol genre plebs

>> No.6120708

>>6119301
Read from that list:
• Dune >>6119297
• Arthur C. Clarke: Odyssey 2001 – Large part of the book is outdated technology and knowledge. Plots beyond that could be interesting, but are too shallow. Shit tier.
• Arthur C. Clarke: Rendezvous with Rama – Again, outdated science hurting your reason, plus shallow repetition of ideas copied from other writers. Not that shitty as Odyssey, but waste of time.
• Asimov foundation series (it's more than trilogy) – books of action, and thought-provoking at the same time. Muse be re-read to get most of it. Great.
• Wells, time machine – I've been confused by narrative form at first glance, Wells is so different. Yet I enjoyed it.
• Jules Verne, several non sci-fi books, none of listed here – surprisingly technically-accurate. Good books. Ships everywhere.
• Van Vogt,The Voyage of the Space Beagle – Little above average, I'd move it to early tier – some common sci-fi concepts are in extremely early stage.
• Wyndham, Triffids – a great book! Sci-fi is not the main plot though. Would move to post-apocalyptic.
• Le Guin, Zelazny – I read only fantasy, I like their books very much.
• Dan Simmons – read a single short story, well written.
• Phill Dick, Ubik – after reading it in original, I thought I missed something due to my English incompetence. Re-read that in my native language. Well, I did not miss a thing. Shitty tier.
• Lem, Solaris – sci-fi everywhere, but it's just a background to a very good thought-provoking book about human reactions to unexpected.
• Ian M. Banks – read a contemporary book only, really enjoyed it.
• Morgan, Alternated Carbon – above average, lots of action and sex, somewhat shallow – apart from action plot.
• Huxley – read Island only, enjoyed it.

>>6120027
> guy recommending Phill Dick
Read a book or two to know his style, so you can get your own opinion on his books.
I already made my mind and I'm not going to waste my time on that. Only short stories had any sense.

>> No.6120736

>Be me

Greentext stories didn't USED to begin with this. The fact that they now do annoys me.

>> No.6120773

>>6119301
Why do people keep misclassifying The Diamond Age as cyberpunk?