[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 184 KB, 500x639, PortraitOfDorianGray.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
605547 No.605547 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/,
I am going to be studying abroad next spring, I have a pretty solid base in American Literature, but I was wondering what is considered classic, must read, European Literature?

>> No.605560

Lesson one for when you're abroad: Don't called it "European Literature".

>> No.605568

Op
I realize that, I just thought it would sound better and illicit a more productive response than "im gonna go to that place where the money looks like a funny E, what does they read over there"

>> No.605577

European is still rather broad. Pick up the Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces or something. That has a decent enough sample.

>> No.605578

It kind of helps to know what country you're going to and what language you'll be speaking/able to read.

>> No.605594

OP
Great Britain, I have a rudimentary understanding of Italian and I know enough French to get me pretty deep in trouble

>> No.605613

Orwell, Kafka, Homer, Chaucer, Cervantes, Voltaire, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Bulgakov.

Something like that?

>> No.605616

>>605613
Oh, and Wilde.

>> No.605632

>>605613
Seems good, I have read at least one thing by all of them except Bulgakov.

>> No.605650

>>605632
Just read "The Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov then. It's by far his most famous novel.

>> No.605661

Awesome, Thank you /lit/ you were actually helpful, which is a welcome change from most of the other boards.

>> No.605664

>>605547

Geothe

Specifically, Faust

>> No.605683

Goethe, Gogol, Balzac, Tolstoi, Shakespeare, Dickens, Hugo, Proust, Chekhov, Austen, Dante, etc

>> No.605696

>>605613
Great list but maybe a bit heavy on Eastern Europe?

For Italy - Calvino and Dante. Machiavelli maybe too.
England - Orwell and Chaucer are great. I have a hardon for Pope myself. Also, Robert Burns.
France - Dumas and Hugo are the giants but if you go for the novels it'll take you a while to finish. Maupassant is shorter but great. Leroux is famous for the Phantom. Voltaire's Candide is a must read.
I don't know shit about Spain. Cervantes is all I'm familiar with, and he's worth reading. Borges is South American, but is extremely popular in all Spanish speaking countries and is a complete mind fuck.

>> No.605714

If you want to suave, read some of the 19th century poets. Byron, Keats, Shelley, and pals.

>> No.605730

You said classic so that's what you're getting, but while you're there I'd suggest you check out some of the modern lit coming out. You might find some stuff that doesn't make it to this side of the pond.

>> No.606712
File: 406 KB, 1600x1200, darth Vader Guiness WP (BLANK).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I pretty much am on the same page as all of you as far as the authors listed for Op goes (I love them and own their works) but WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED James Joyce and NO HE IS NOT OVER-RATED SO IF ANYBODY TALKS BAD ABOUT JOYCE HERE'S ONE FOR YOU t(*-*t)

>> No.606716

>>606712
Yeah like that my emoticon is giving you the double deuce!

>> No.606745

I would just like to point out the novella "morphine" by bulgakov.
As for french literature, here's a short list to get you started, going from classic to modern: le condamné à mort (hugo), Madame Bovary (Flaubert), La Confession d'un enfant du siècle (alfred de musset) le bourgeois gentilhomme (molière), Aurélia (gérard de nerval), alcools (apollinaire), thérèse raquin (zola) nadja (andré breton) la peste, la chute (camus), les mouches, la nausée (jean paul sartre), moderato cantabile (marguerite duras), les carnets d'hypnos (rené char) l'arrache-coeur (boris vian) paroles (jacques prévert) la rage de l'expression (francis ponge) l'ombilic des limbes (artaud), le bleu du ciel (georges bataille)

>> No.606995

Are you American OP? If so here's a protip; don't be so fucking loud in public.