[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 398x600, cover-of-looking-for-alaska.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
604853 No.604853 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts?

>> No.604862

a friend of mind read it and she really liked it though i couldn't get past the first few pages

>> No.604866

I liked it. I read it in PDF, which I regret, but I think it's probably the best YA fiction I've read in the last 10 years. I especially applaud the author for creating a main chracter that was more complex than the prototypical "wimpy, nerd faggot" that all adult YA authors believe is the only type of male readers can identify with.

>> No.604876

It was good YA fiction, even more so considering it was the author's first book.

>> No.604883

Loved it, actually. Bought it on a whim after seeing it mentioned on here. Ended up being the best YA fiction I've read since I was actually a teen (I'm 25). Went out and bought his other stuff because of this one - Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines are also damn good, though I preferred Looking for Alaska; it stuck with me more. I didn't like the new one he co-authored (Will Grayson, Will Grayson) quite as much as those, but it's still pretty good.

>> No.604896

>>604883
I hated Will Grayson, Will Grayson until I realized you're supposed to hate both of them. They're terrible, selfish people, and the entire point of the book is for them to realize how awful they are and to try to improve. I think that the authors were trying to say that it's really easy not to give a shit and to be an asshole as a teenager, but it's a dick move and you'll end up hurting people.

>> No.604909

>>604896
I'll try to check this out next. I loved Looking For Alaska.

>> No.605029

>>604896

Interesting thought; that does make some sense, given how I felt about both of them...Tiny was pretty hilarious, though. I kind of wanted him to narrate the entire book instead of the alternating Wills. Green's Will in particular frustrated me, because I liked his other narrators so much, and this one seemed so...bleh in comparison.

>> No.605102

>>605029
I agree, I would have loved for Tiny to narrate the book. He's a very vibrant and likable character, especially compared to the Wills.

I disliked Green's Will the most too. I think part of it was like you said, having reading his other books and expecting more, and that his WIll has no reaosn to act the way he did, he just did it because he couldn't bother to care. Levithan's Will had his own reasons for his behaviour, which while still shouldn't have acted the way he did, I understand it.

>> No.605111

This is my favorite book. It's not that it's the best book I've ever read or anything, but no other book has had as much personal meaning for me. I love it, and Looking for Alaska was actually one of the main things I wrote about in my CommonApp essay (which was good enough to get into a Top20 USN&WR school. I'm not trying to brag, I'm just validating that this is a smart person writing, not some 14 year old Twilight fan).

Though the book merits some discussion of WHY I love it so much, I need to get started on a project...

>> No.605636

It's amazing bacuase aside from addressing most of the crap teen nerd what-not one has to go through there's an overt message of greater importance in the book. Hell it even address's philosophy a bit, even if it is just a touch.

>> No.606035

"i go to seek the great perhaps"

i love this book. i read it when i was in high school. it was one of those books that really turned me onto reading. i heard that its intended to be turned into a move. theyre going to change the title to "Famous Last Words" or something of the sort

>> No.606074
File: 15 KB, 252x252, Looking for alaska.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.606095

>>606035
Yep. You can actually download the screenplay online!

I don't remember where I found my single copy pdf, but it looks like if you download this pack, Famous Last Words is in there.
http://www.warezlobby.org/ebooks-tutorials/1015705-unreleased-movie-scripts-pdf-pack-5-sirusuk.html

>> No.606109

>>606095

thank you kind sir

>> No.606219

>>606109
No problem, just doing my best to make the internet a better place, one favor at a time.