[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 589x375, 1272177262990.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
603114 No.603114 [Reply] [Original]

For Gulliver, his experience in the land of the Houyhnhnms is essentially one of self discovery, social upheaval, realisation and social traumatisation. His arrogance as a 18th century European is very apparent as can be seen throughout Part 4 He remains very patriotic to his home land of England and indeed towards it's society, ironically the very society he comes to despise. His discovery of the intelligent horses, the 'Houyhnhnms' and of the savage humanoid 'Yahoos' is as much of a shock to Gulliver as it would have been to the 18th century reader. Nature as it seems, has been turned on it's head with the servants now the masters and the masters now the servants. Using this pretense, Swift manages to deftly satirise European societies arrogance towards foreign culture and indeed humanity itself.

What you guys think? Its the intro to the assignment due in 6 hours. Help me please. Pic unrelated.

>> No.603124

>>603114
>He remains very patriotic to his home land of England and indeed towards it's society
>He remains very patriotic to his home land of England and indeed towards it is society
>toward it is society
>it is society

>Nature has been turned on it's head
>Nature has been turned on it is head
>turned on it is head
>it is head

>> No.603129

>>603124
Funny.

>> No.603131

Milo Manera did Gulliveria. Which is essentially what's good. Sex, Food, and Staying Alive.

>> No.603132

Might as well help

>For Gulliver, his experience in the land of the Houyhnhnms is essentially one of self discovery, social upheaval, realisation and social traumatisation.

How about "Gulliver's experience in the land of ...is one of...

>His arrogance as a 18th century European is very apparent as can be seen throughout Part 4 He remai

Period after part 4

>Nature as it seems, has been turned on it's head with the servants now the masters and the masters now the servants

Nature seems to have been turned on its head... "it's" is the contraction of it is, while "its" is the posessive like his.

>> No.603134

>>603124

Do you have a script for that or are you doing it by hand?

>> No.603141

>>603129
how is helping you fix your writing funny

>> No.603145

>>603141
Grammar isn't what I'm worried about atm, it's content.

>> No.603158

bump

>> No.603169

>>603134

>>603132 here
I would guess by hand myself.

As for OP, that is the point Swift is trying to make. Yahoos are human beings at their worst, sowing greed, avarice, violence and filth in their wake. The horses have only their own nature, and abide by it. given sapience and sentience, Swift thought that most animals, especially herbivorous work animals, would be good creatures.

He wants to take people down a peg wherever he goes. in Liliput, he uses Gulliver to make fun of small minded people worked up over things that have no real meaning, like the religious wars being compared to how the two nations break their eggs for breakfast. Laputa is science gone mad, logic taken too far beyond reason or common sense.

Yahoos are Humans described by Hobbes. Swift is showing the ugly animal in each and every one of us to the world, for all to see. The Horses are those beings that act only as nature calls them to, free from original sin if you want to follow up on the religiosity of his work.

>> No.603193

>>603169
Christ /lit/ makes me feel stupid.

>> No.603196

>>603169
>Laputa is science gone mad, logic taken too far beyond reason or common sense.

Laputa is also a direct metaphor for England's treatment of Ireland.

Remember that the events in Lilliput are mostly parody of the British aristocracy, of which Swift was a political member for a time.

Houyhnhnms have flaws with their society but you have to look more closely to see them. When discussing whether to wipe out the Yahoos they use all the same tired arguments that have ever been used to propose or justify genocide.

Remember that Gulliver's Travels is a parody of exploration novels. Back then exploration novels were usually full of lies or exaggerations. Swift most certainly had the Conquistadors in mind when writing of the Yahoos because Swift knew about the Conquistadors' savage treatment of Native Americans. Yahoos are what happens to people who leave civilization: they become animals.

>> No.603199

>>603196
and again, I feel mentally retarded.

>> No.603214

>>603196
I didn't know that part. It has been too long since I read more than the mickey mouse version myself. Thanks.

>> No.603216

>>603199

You know that the name Gulliver is a play on the word gullible?

It's fun dissecting works like this because there is so much to be found underneath the surface.

>> No.603226

>>603216
its mainly fun because its not really deep underneath the surface as well.

>> No.603233

>>603216
Good one.

Also, the "Expert" craze got going in the 1930's, but the scientists of Laputa also are these experts that tell people the best way to live, the right clothes to wear and foods to eat. perhaps you can trace back this expert culture, connecting some bits of craziness like X-Raying a kids foot to find the perfect fit of a shoe, when the whole thing was a barrel of snake oil. People don't have a built in bullshit detector, so being moderatly sceptical of everything not proovable to a 10 year old is a good Idea.

of course, hygene and other advancements were being made at the time of the book, and the dissemination of information was limited.

>> No.603289

Not bad analysis, but you need to re-write it to make it plainer.

Also, in this phrase "has been turned on it's head" it should read "its".

And make sure you include the bit about the female Yahoo presenting her shit-flecked ass to Gulliver so he can fuck her.

>> No.603316

jesus christ guys, how are you all so learned and well read and shit?

>> No.603325

>>603316

I think it might have something to do with not being a moron and actually taking the time to read books instead of relying on someone else's summary.

>> No.603342

>>603325
huh?