[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.84 MB, 2000x1470, the-summer-poppy-field.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5981730 No.5981730 [Reply] [Original]

You should be a part of the religion that you were born into, or that's most prevalent in your community. If you're a Westerner, be a fucking Christian and study Christian theology, values, and philosophy. If you're Chinese, just be a Buddhist and study that. If you were born in the Middle East, study Islam. Most widespread religions have had a lot of thought put into them, helped inspire countless works of great art, and can help you be on your way to answering some of life's largest questions.

>> No.5981742

>live in a predominantly protestant and baptist area

so much for art.

>> No.5981747

So?

>> No.5981748

>>5981730
>don't explore new ideas
>prop up the status quo until the end of time

>> No.5981749

>>5981742
be the great protestent writer

>> No.5981754

>>5981748
The point isn't to completely submit to religion. Rather, explore ideas with religion at your side. Philosophize assuming that God is real, create a novel exploring Christian morality, etc. Use religion as an anchor, but still explore the world.

>> No.5981758

>>5981748
Yep that's what OP is saying.

I don't understand why he's saying it but... yeah

>> No.5981759

>>5981754
But why use just one religion? Why do you need an anchor to explore the world?

>> No.5981762

>>5981749

lol nah, I'm actually looking into joining the local catholic church. just thought I'd make a funny.

>> No.5981763

>>5981754
Why religion? Religion was inspired by other religions, other cultural values. Why not study those?

>> No.5981765

>>5981748
>>5981758

I can't imagine the narcissism involved in actually believing religion has nothing to offer you.

>> No.5981768

>>5981765
Religion has loads to offer, man. But Jesus you're advocating complete segregation of religious ideas.

That's retarded.

>> No.5981769

>>5981765
Of course it has stuff to offer you, that doesn't mean you have to follow the one you were born into, or any at all.

>> No.5981773

>>5981768

I'm not the OP, but you can't get the sense of community and ritual that the church offers by constantly bouncing around between faiths. Learn whatever you want, but you need a home.

>> No.5981778

>>5981773
So you sleep in a church and figure calling it something else makes you better than a hobo?

>> No.5981782

>>5981778

Keep reading, you'll learn about metaphor soon enough.

>> No.5981804

>>5981782
It's a shit metaphor. I have a home, it's called my house, it's where I live.

>> No.5981814
File: 82 KB, 180x204, lelbron.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5981804

you just blew my mind brah

>> No.5981816

>>5981730
GUARANTEED REPLIES.

>> No.5981826

But I'm an atheist.

>> No.5981827

>>5981773
Yes, but you should explore potential new houses instead of just stagnantly festering in some cardboard shack.

>> No.5981831

>>5981730
>You should be a part of the religion that you were born into, or that's most prevalent in your community.
No.

>Most widespread religions have had a lot of thought put into them, helped inspire countless works of great art
They also inspire execution of heretics and war over which god is God.

>and can help you be on your way to answering some of life's largest questions.
Such as?

>> No.5981841

>>5981827
You're suggesting to stick exclusively to the house called regional religion, which sounds like the exact same situation.

>> No.5981885

What is with these religion threads?

>> No.5981887

>>5981754
>use an anchor to help you explore
Anchors stop your ship from traversing you big dummy. Your points are just as counter-logic as your metaphor.

>> No.5981971
File: 43 KB, 545x394, 1311918516650.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5981730

No.

Im British.

Like large portions of Europe, especially France, religion is no longer important. Less than ten percent of the country goes to church on even a semi-regular basis (as in even once a year) and the majority of the populace are at best wishy-washy vaguely agnostic protestants. The sort that would admit to believing in a god, but not follow any commands, go to church or really be christian in any way other than because they were born it.

You - probably an American since faith is still a bizarrely big portion of your lives - are suggesting i study something which is, quite simply, irrelevant to the society in which i live.

Heres how irrelevant religion is to my society. In America a president would never admit to being anything but a staunch christian. Certainly you wouldnt get an atheist president.

In contrast, British Prime Minister Tony Blair's over-zealous Christianity only came out after he'd left Downing Street, and a member of his own cabinet once had to intervene to stop him answering questions on his own religion. And everyone heard about how he prayed with George Bush - the general sentiment being that praying made him a little bit of a weirdo.

Currently of the three largest political parties, two are atheists, and no one cares. They arent being burnt at the stake, or even criticized. Its just not commented on.

Atheism is by no means the majority in britain. But the general feel is that religion is not something to be shared around. Its a private matter, and people who take religion very seriously tend to seriously creep us out (i.e. Muslims). Anyone who went to church every Sunday would be considered especially bizarre, and political figures talking about god in anything but the very vaguest of ways would be endlessly ridiculed in the media.

Its odd. Because agnostic old britain - unlike faith-fervent america - actually has nothing to say religion and state should be separate. In fact theres actually a few remnants of religion in the government itself. Mostly in the House of Lords having bishops for some fucking reason. My primary school was christian school, and those religious schools still exist, though for those people who didnt pray there was of course no repercussions.

So broadly, i disagree with you. Religion has no relevance to my life whatsoever, and will continue to have less and less relevance, except for when some muslim cuts the head off of his daughter because she was eating a slice of cheese while texting a boy during ramadan.

>> No.5981980

>>5981730
Go away. You are monstrously stupid and have not the slightest idea of anything.

>> No.5981982

I understand where you are coming from OP but let me throw my two cents in here. So I was born to parents in America that fled Iran because of the Islamic Revolution. Grandparents are all muslim but my parents saw "religion" if you can even call it that, at it's worse and decided to move away and be more secular. Dad and his brother became hard core science/math professors so he turned atheist pretty fast and my mom is maybe spiritual on a good day. Anyway long story short, was raised in a secular as fuck house hold. Pepperoni on pizza, never seen my parents do ramadan or pray or even invoke the big man up stairs, slight jabs at religion here and there. So I too became almost naturally became an atheist (was also caught up in the whole new atheism movement which pretty much amplified and helped make sure what little faith I even had was obliterated). So after reading some communitarian philosophy and gaining respect for that young religion, (I was never a militant atheist) I thought hey maybe I should try to reconnect with my roots. And here's the thing OP. It's hard to be born again or revert when there was nothing there in the first place. Can't go back home if there you never built one. (platitude as fuck but true). I don't blame my parents but it kinda sucks, there is a social warmth that comes from being in solidarity with those that share your faith and I probably will never feel it although I sometimes crave it. On the flip side atheism kind of feels like an organized religion at times and they have this ever expanding "Sundayassembly" on the rise so maybe I'm actually part of a "religious"community. You might like Charles Taylor A Secular Age or All Things Shining if you're interested in this identity crisis in a postmodern/secular world stuff.

>> No.5982013
File: 72 KB, 397x520, gentle persuasion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5981730
>You should be a part of the religion that you were born into, or that's most prevalent in your community.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean "just going along with everything supposedly [in this religion]". Time for post-orthodoxy.

>> No.5982021

>>5981982
You're thinking like the past and what your family might want are what should dictate your thoughts. The promise of secularism is freedom, anon.

>> No.5982050

>>5981730
>and can help you be on your way to answering some of life's largest questions.
Are you seriously implying that you need to spend your life thinking about meaningless questions like "what is the meaning of life"?

>> No.5982158

>>5982021
You're probably right anon. Yet, do you find anything obtuse, not necessarily immoral, about individuals that abandon their culture or heritage and embrace something entirely different. Maybe culture is different than religion but they seem to be complementary if not intertwined at times. Maybe I'm overthinking it who knows.

>> No.5982221

>>5981982
I know how you feel man.
My parents aren't religious at all. My mom was forced into it when she was a kid. So she resents it. And it just kind of runs in my dad's family. I remember I was like seven or eight, and i asked him if he believed in god. He said "no" and i asked why and he said:
"Cause my dad thought it was a bunch of bullshit, and his dad thought it was a bunch of bullshit and so do I."
And i think that's my only memory of my dad talking about religion.