[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 107 KB, 807x1138, isaac-asimov.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5958190 No.5958190 [Reply] [Original]

What's /lit/'s opinion on Isaac Asimov?
I just got into his work, a few weeks ago i bought I, Robot and now i'm planning on buying the foundation trilogy, i wanted to know if you guys could give me any recomendations on Sci-Fi books.

>> No.5958218

Asimov: I Robot, Foundation trilogy, End of Eternity
Clarke: 2001, Rendezvous with Rama
Niven: Ringworld, World Out of Time, More in Gods Eye

Now we get into the real good stuff
Dune, Lord of Light, The Time Ships, Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, Fifth Head of Cerberus

Dick: Game Players of Titan, Man in the High Castle, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Ubik

>> No.5958220

Anyone know the title of that short story of his in which aliens come to invite the earth to join their galactic federation, only to summarily pack off when they realize humans still have religions?

>> No.5958290

>>5958190
>I bought I, Robot

WHY THE FUCK DON'T PEOPLE BUY THE COMPLETE ROBOT INSTEAD? IT'S GOT ALL ROBOT SHORT-STORIES! ALL OF THEM!

FUCK!

That being said, read all of Asimov's major works if you like his style.

I just read all of it last year and curiously, I found the original Foundation trilogy to be his weakest while the additional books he wrote, especially Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth to be very strong, bringing it to a proper end

The End of Eternity is my personal favourite though.

>> No.5958319

>>5958290

>WHY THE FUCK DON'T PEOPLE BUY THE COMPLETE ROBOT INSTEAD? IT'S GOT ALL ROBOT SHORT-STORIES! ALL OF THEM!

Because he wrote plenty of good short stories about things other than robots.

OP, the Foundation trilogy is garbage, stick to the short stories.

>> No.5958326

>>5958319
but all of I, Robot is in The Complete Robot plus more. I don't get why people still buy the short book when the bigger book just costs a dollar more.

>> No.5958333

>>5958220
I know you don't mean childhood's end, but I'm going to post this anyway

>> No.5958464

>>5958326
I bought the book purely out of curiosity, i was walking around the bookshop and found it, so i decided to buy it, i didn't even do any kind of research, i just tought it would be nice reading material, turns out i was right, but i'll look foward to buy complete robot, thanks anon

>> No.5958655

>>5958464
well all right. sorry man, it's one of my pet-peeves

>> No.5959779

>>5958190

IIRC my favorite thing by Asimov was the crime novels with Detective Baley, I think it was. That was a long time ago, though.

There were individual short stories that I probably liked more than that, but there's all kinds.