[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 61 KB, 467x605, yukio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
594912 No.594912 [Reply] [Original]

I want to read some Yukio Mishima. Problem is, the dude has written so much (apparently a lot of it was crap to make a quick buck, too). So what should I read to get me started on this author?

>> No.594918
File: 23 KB, 320x400, carrey_the_riddler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bonus points for posting my favorite .jgp

>> No.594929

>>594912

"The Sea of Fertility" is considered his masterpiece by Americans these days (I'm not sure what the Japanese think.) It's 4 books though.

>> No.594942

There is a Film about his life, work and suicide called "Mishima"

>> No.595007

I've read _The Temple of the Golden Pavillion_. I really liked it. In some ways reminded me of Murakami's Norwegian Wood in tone.

>> No.595027
File: 39 KB, 311x475, master of go.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>595007
I think "Temple..." is his best novel, followed closely by "The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea".

Could not read Murakami.

I heartily recommend "The Master of Go" and "Thousand Cranes" by Kawabata, however.

>> No.595046

Definitely 'Temple of the Golden Pavilion' or 'Confessions of a Mask.' Both amazing. Although the Sea of Fertility tetralogy would be a nice place to start also.

>> No.595048

>>595027
Thousand Cranes is tits I didn't get that bit at the end with the tea-cups though. "Oh my, that tea cup looks rather like your father, doesn't it? And that one looks like my mother...let's just bludgeon the reader to death with this delicate symbolism that we've been developing for the last couple hundred pages." Maybe it's 2deep4me :/ I personally prefer Snow Country though, and The Master of Go and The Sound of the Mountain are still on my to-read list. I can't stand Murakami either.