[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 35 KB, 431x648, oldmanswar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
591225 No.591225 [Reply] [Original]

Awful book. I shoulda never listened to you clowns.

>> No.591233

Some reasons why would be nice. Don't be like every other fool on this board, who post one sentenced comments and doesn't try to have a conversation about the actual book.

>> No.591236

What was awful about it? I liked it well enough to read the rest of the series, and was pretty happy with it overall. Scalzi's writing never knocked my socks off, but I felt it was serviceable enough to involve me in the story. He tells a good joke now and then, too.

>> No.591237

I could have told you it sucked.

And that only judging by the cover.

>> No.591239

Is that the same Scalzi of Bathroom Reader fame?

Awesome

>> No.591241

>>591237
And that's about how much your opinion would be worth, I guess.

>> No.591261
File: 13 KB, 700x327, thumbsdown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>591225

It was really badly written - that old-school cartoonish, flat hard sci-fi style that should have died in the 50s.

The characters were flat and entirely Mary Sue, existing only to mouth plot points. (I noted in an earlier post that almost all the characters had Anglo-Saxon names. Are there no Italian-Americans in space?)

The ground battles were not believable within the context of the novel. Projectile weapons? Hell, the U.S. is using more sophisticated weapons systems in Afghanistan today.

In all, it was like a de-bollocked "Forever War".

>> No.591267

>>591236
i thought around about that

pretty serviceable
good premises (old men thing)
silly premises (human aliens)
quick paced
somewhat cringey 'snappy dialogue'
occasional interesting thought
averagely likeable, averagely believable characters

i read the whole series but only because my friend made a whole thing of lending me the books. perfect mediocrity. nothing great, but nothing awful.

>> No.591680

>>591261
I can't take an argument seriously if it relies on the phrase "Mary Sue"--especially if it uses it incorrectly.

> Projectile weapons? Hell, the U.S. is using more sophisticated weapons systems in Afghanistan today.
Yes, and to my knowledge is still using projectile weapons for almost everything. You know what projectiles are good for? Ripping through bodies--which accomplishes the goal of a "weapon" quite well, and probably more cheaply than energy weapons ever will.

>> No.591701

>>591261
Oh, I'll agree with you that it's not as good as The Forever War, though. I liked the later books in the OMW series better than the first.

>> No.592108

>>591680

I'm talking about unmanned drones. Robotics.

The new high ground.