[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 309 KB, 700x487, the greatest sin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5856911 No.5856911 [Reply] [Original]

itt: shit history book authors should be slapped for

>no footnotes
>especially when making new, outrageous or controversial claims

or

>footnotes
>footnotes cited have nothing to do with argument made

>> No.5857040
File: 103 KB, 739x606, shiggy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5856911

>doing a 25 page history paper
>professor wants us to refrain from using secondary sources
>want to use some information that i read in a book but the author has no citation for it at all
>i'm forced to actually do research

>> No.5857086

>English-language history book from the 19th or early 20th century
>quotes something in French
>doesn't provide the translation

damn the 19th and early 20th centuries, when people who were rich enough to afford history books were also expected to have a basic grasp of French.

>> No.5857180

>>5857086
>tfw french is no more a lingua franca

>> No.5857203
File: 53 KB, 500x447, 1z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>reading AHR or something of the same calibre
>actually respectable periodicals
>tfw stumbling across those SJW articles they shuffle through peer review to seem like they're trendy and hip with the times
>tfw reading an article written by some chick about women in the women's womanporium in womany woman woman women women's women woman
>tfw it goes fucking nowhere and comes to no meaningful conclusions
>tfw it just regurgitates secondary source literature everyone is familiar with
>tfw it tries to act all transgressive and put on airs of challenging the status quo by using 35,000 concessive clauses that don't actually refute the status quo belief referenced
>tfw the first few pages' footnotes are filled with vague single citation allusions to a pissant book called 'Women's Womaning in Womania: Womany Women in Merovingian France or Something' by yet another chick author
>tfw seriously trying to establish the methodological framework of the article's analysis with a single fucking citation to some bizarre literally who publication
>tfw everyone acts like the article is a real thing and congratulates the functionary piece of shit who wrote it for being a proud womyn who bravely explores women's woman issues in a manocentric mansplaining manocracy
>tfw it's literally nothing
>tfw she'll be tenured before i am

>> No.5857206

>no footnotes
>endnotes

Fuck you, faggot. I want your claims to be sourced when I read them, not after I flip to the back of the book.

>> No.5857208

>the writer can't keep his throbbing Marxism in his pants while writing an historical account

>> No.5857218

>>5857208
>see: 80% of the The French Revolution bibliography

>> No.5857226

>>5857208
>>5857218
It's funny because is true

>> No.5857253

>Here are the king's palaces, and this is the workers' village; this is where we would have lived.

>Here is a stele depicting the king and the people below him, that's us, the commoners of XYZ civilisation

Ok it's not in books, it's my Ancient History professors' lectures, and it's really annoying me. I'm not saying I would be a king if I lived thousands of years ago, but there's an obvious agenda here.

>> No.5857275

>>5857253
And? It's a normal tactic to get students to identify with the vast difference between the royalty and the common people. It also helps protect against romanticizing.

>> No.5857303

>>5857253
It's only fair. 99.99 percent of all people ever weren't a king, they were treated like shit and worked themselves into an early, disease ridden grave.

How is there an agenda? That was reality. History as it's taught in elementary and high school is the place to be if you're looking for an agenda.