[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 233x307, Philip_k_dick_drawing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
582634 No.582634 [Reply] [Original]

What novel by Philip K. Dick would you recommend I start out with ?

I've read a couple of his short stories and I currently have my friend's copies of The Man in the High Castle, VALIS and Flow, My Tears, The Policeman Said.

I'm also going to the library in a bit, so I'm pretty sure I can get ahold of A Scanner Darkly (I've been told this is a good starting place) and such.

>> No.582636

A Scanner Darkly's brilliant, but be prepared to wade through a novel full of horrible "slang". It tones down towards the end though. That was my main problem, it seems semantic, but it felt really jarring.

>> No.582643

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

>> No.582654

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Martian Time-Slip

>> No.582661

Of the ones you have on hand, The Man in The High Castle is the best start, I think.

>> No.582832

I started with Ubik, and loved it. Really made me want to read more of his stuff.

>> No.582849

A Scanner Darkly and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

I have to get my hands on The Man in The High Castle.

>> No.582860

I liked Second Variety.

>> No.583007

Okay, I'm back from the library and got Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (I loved the movie) and A Scanner Darkly.

I started reading The Man in the High Castle and I'm loving it so far. I'm about halfway in.

Also, I agree about the Second Variety (if you're talking about the short story). I thought it was pretty great too! Minority Report, Impostor and War Games were pretty good as well.

I'll try and get The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (they had it but it wasn't in), Martian Time-slip and Ubik next time!

I was surprised by how many novels they had by him (our library isn't all that great). Thanks for the advice guys, it's very much appreciated!