[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 47 KB, 700x394, fo28lg[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5755903 No.5755903 [Reply] [Original]

Re: Feminism, privelege, SJW shit.

>never been witnessed outside of a fringe group of bloggers
>has absolutely no bearing on real policy or social opinions
>expressed by people with mental problems who have a tiny outlet of happiness
>no real academics or real equal-rights activists take it seriously

Why is everyone so up in arms about pathetic shit like this, or whether X is racist or not, or whether there's a liberal bias to do with Y? This is even more of a fake contrived polarity than that "new atheist" faggotry. I just don't guess what all the fuss is about, unless people have that much of a hard-on for knocking down strawmen all day.

>> No.5755905

>>5755903
Deep down, i agree with you sbout the strawmen

>> No.5755907

>>5755903
Kill yourself, you are the ignorant one. Go see those britshit universities that have gender theory bachelor degrees.

>> No.5755908

>feminism
>privilege
>never been witnessed outside of a fringe group of bloggers
>no real academics or real equal-rights activists take it seriously

good job revealing you haven't actually engaged with the scholarship, like all the rest of the /pol/tards who bitch about "SJW shit"

Start with Butler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Butler

>> No.5755911

>>5755903
>I just don't guess what all the fuss is about,
The fuss doesn't exist in real life. Only with neckbeards on the internet.

Femisnm is a real thing, though. Just not like what 4chan thinks it is.

>> No.5755913

>>5755907
i wonder what's the job for gender theory bachelors

>> No.5755915

>>5755908
But everyone thinks judith is a joke; i'm post-gradding in philosophy and noone takes her seriously

>> No.5755917

>>5755903
>Why is everyone so up in arms about pathetic shit like this, or whether X is racist or not
Because believe it or not, some people have a much harder life than others because of unnecessary shit.

>> No.5755918

>>5755915
If you say so buddy

>> No.5755920

>>5755913
LGBT right fighters, animal rights and shit like that. The state gives a lot of money to those groups and you can have lots of shekels for almost no actual work.

>> No.5755921

>>5755907
>>5755908
I know it exists, but for example /lit/ - I believe - is a community which considers itself to be intellectual. I see this board discussing such mundane populist stuff all the time. I just think we need a little more perspective.

The Patrick Bateman speech about the nuclear arms race and ending world hunger springs to mind. Are we really going to sit and squabble over what a minority likes to talk about on tumblr?

The internet is a great thing but it has many traps wherein a intrepid adventurer can end up chasing ghosts down a dead-end. I just don't understand why we have a tendency to get really annoyed and personally invested in things that are so obviously mundane regardless of your individual views on life.

>> No.5755926

>>5755921
Chasing fair treatment and equality of others isn't a dead-end.

>> No.5755928

>>5755921
Holy shit you are a moron.

>I know it exists, but for example /lit/ - I believe - is a community which considers itself to be intellectual.
It isn't. If you consider /lit/ to be any reflection of the intelligentsia you're retarded.

>The Patrick Bateman speech about the nuclear arms race and ending world hunger springs to mind.
lmao

>> No.5755931

>>5755921
/lit/ isn't actually intellectual, half the people who browse here are proud to say they either don't read or don't like to read. Expecting people on 4chan to support gender equality is stupid because of who you're expecting to do what. Get over it.

>> No.5755932

>>5755926
But discussing things like "white privilege" on the internet is very much a case of slacktivism and has no bearing on whether, in real life, people are treated better or worse. The whole canon is so focused upon issues that are paradoxical like positive discrimination and whether things are offensive or not that it's actually a disgrace to the real equal rights movement. The right for somebody to call themselves a dragon-kin has no fucking bearing on any real debate - I'm not for it and I'm not against it, it's such a fucking non-issue. Why is this thrown into a polarised argument about real bigotry, in the same way the new atheists were thrown into a polarised argument about Darwinism when in reality almost nobody believes in new atheism or fundamental religion in the way that they're portrayed for the argument.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but half of this stuff seems very contrived in order to keep the populace busy, arguing about things that are utterly nonsensical....

>> No.5755939

>>5755932
>The right for somebody to call themselves a dragon-kin has no fucking bearing on any real debate
nobody gives a shit about this
like at all
using a few idiots on tumblr with real mental issues as a representation of the broad divergent philosophies of feminism is absolutely fucking retarded

>> No.5755940

>>5755911
This. It's such a non-issue in the real world, yet the echo chamber of 4chan would have you believe this is an imminent threat to... well, I don't know what actually. It's kept me off most of my old regular boards over the past year or so. It's "SJW" this and "reddit" that to the point where it might as well be automated spam. The irony is that the "reddit community" (that is, the default subreddits and their users; their /b/ if you will) are just as delusional and obsessed with this same topic too. It gets in the way of regular discourse and needs to fucking stop.

>> No.5755950

>>5755913

working in shops and restaurants or more likely sitting on their arses collecting JSA shekels and posting on Tumblr about patriarchy

>> No.5755955

>>5755903
>has absolutely no bearing on real policy or social opinions

You're completely delusional if you believe this. Look up Larry Summers.

>> No.5755966
File: 60 KB, 550x412, 1415892024359.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Social justice is now used like a pejorative term

Feminism is on par with democracy itself regarding how many people it liberated and gave rights to in the 20th century. Human society has had literally tens of thousands of years of male dominance and little over a century of women's rights. Is it realistic to think that the deeply rooted nepotism and patriarchy of the past has completely vanished within that time? The same goes for racism and gay rights.

I used to be an MRA and a white nationalist. I debated online a lot. I had come to think of myself as very intelligent and that simply being able to read textbooks and search information on the internet meant I could disregard the actual social experiences of other people in the real world off handedly. After a while I realized "men's rights activists" spent more time bashing feminism than doing things about women's issues... the whole thing is a trap to dress up reactionary movements and bigotry in sheep's clothing. Humor, like the exaggerated caricatures of "A Wyatt Mann", is used to incite reflex reactions that advocates for social justice are laughable and should be dismissed without considering whether the ideas being given are incorrenct, cherry picked or downright fraudulent.

I cringe when I now see things like "We shouldn't breastfeed boys because it makes them physically stronger" and while presenting itself as feminist, it's obviously been written by someone whose conception of feminism is identical to the anti-SJW strawmen perpetuated on places like /pol/. You're not beyond being manipulated just because you joined an internet culture that calls itself redpilled, dipshits.

>> No.5755976

>>5755939
>using a few idiots on tumblr with real mental issues as a representation of the broad divergent philosophies of feminism is absolutely fucking retarded

It's not about critics of feminism using a few nutjobs to discredit the whole movement, although there is a little of that.

It is about the internet giving equal platform to those nutjobs causing the moment itself problems as whatever it stands for can't be distinguished though the haze of reblogging and inane commentary from people who don't understand the movement.

Feminism itself is held hostage by it's supporters which is either almost anyone who can post on the internet or only a tiny core of women who are the Dworkin faithful. Feminism is defined so differently it is being pulled and torn between so many people and groups, more like a cloak to give your own concerns legitimacy that becomes so ragged it is no use to anyone.

So much of feminism now, at least the highly visible component, is simply stoking the outrage machine. And if you aren't with us you are against us, so you have to reblog your outrage or you are a willing tool of the ill-defined but totally terrible patriarchy or you are a guy and should shut the fuck up because you don't know what it is like to have a vagina.
tl;dr 90% of feminism & anti-feminism (racism & anti-racism etc) is self-sustaining worthless bullshit bored people distract themselves with. This post included

>> No.5755993

>>5755976
The internet gives equal platform to everybody. It doesn't mean YOU have to give them equal attention. Deal with the new postmodernism.

>
So much of feminism now, at least the highly visible component, is simply stoking the outrage machine. And if you aren't with us you are against us, so you have to reblog your outrage or you are a willing tool of the ill-defined but totally terrible patriarchy or you are a guy and should shut the fuck up because you don't know what it is like to have a vagina.

I really don't see why this personally gets to you, it's like, just their opinion man.

>> No.5755998
File: 169 KB, 635x751, monster_feminism.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why we should get rid of feminism

that's they are responsible for bs like that. i simply want to read a book with a monster protagonist and what they suggest me?

it's kind of funny how feminized hens want to feel themselves monsters but... literally the first decent book is milton

>> No.5756003

>>5755998
It's kind of your fault for using a self-publishing social network as a tool for choosing reading material, like if I were to go on Nanowrimo and get annoyed that there are no James Joyce's writing on there.

>> No.5756006

>>5755998
whats your goodreads account kitty

>> No.5756007

>>5756006
i don't have one, i don't count books which i read

>> No.5756008

>>5756007
why not

>> No.5756012

>unless people have that much of a hard-on for knocking down strawmen all day.

You mean, like you just did?

>> No.5756020

I go to a ridiculously left-wing university in the UK. The most vocal political groups on campus are the Marxists, Anarchists and to a lesser extent, trans-rights people. I had a political/sociological seminar yesterday, the class was me, two other guys and about 15 girls, on the subject of mail-order brides. About half of the girls declared they were humanists and not feminists, on the grounds that modern feminists were SJW crackpots and the rest took pains to say they were feminists, just not "radical" ones, which is to say, not SJW feminists. This is a room full of women in hippy clothes, some with fresh bruises from the police at the Occupy protests. Some of them even came to apologise to us guys afterwards for the topic of the conversation getting so close to misanthropy. I've met maybe a couple of SJW types and they are not popular people, nor are they taking serious courses.

The internet is making the crazies seem more of a problem than they actually are. I don't think there's any need to worry.

>> No.5756022

>>5755903
gender, race, and equality/justice are important literary topics dumbass

academics from the 60's onwards all pretty much agree on this stuff too. Especially if you can into postmodernism

>> No.5756030
File: 20 KB, 500x281, Pan-Sexual.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5755932

But nigger there are lots of people who refuse to accept evolution as anything other than Satan's bile. It's just the people who view evolution like that are CURRENTLY on the losing side. They could be on the winning-side very swiftly.

Sounding full-fedora I know; and by no means am I even saying new-atheists brought that to light. In much the same ways that SJWs aren't bringing bigotry and systemic oppression to light. Both are however highlighting it.

>> No.5756031
File: 2.22 MB, 436x376, 1416195738146.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5755966
I feel your pain, m8. But I try to remind myself that it's only 4chan; no matter how reasonable and even-handed you try to be, some angry, misinformed stranger will always call you a faggot.

>> No.5756033

>>5755993
None of this does really get to me i'm certainly not an anti-SJW. I know about much of that stuff from coming to 4chan. That is why it is self-sustaining, it is a bubble of femminists talking to each other abnout how bad it is for them, oh and some 3rd world women. Did you hear about women in Uganda, this is why I have a hard time being a woman in the US etc.

The only reason most of this leaks from the bubble is because the anti-SJW fuel their own outrage and hate about it. They give the publicity to the ragged edge of the movement and so the core of the movement is either forced to ignore the dross on the edges or engage it.

As I said none of this really does bother me and It is usually an echo chamber you can easily shut the door on and forget exists. But I am interested in social movements, the emerging culture of the internet and how it bleeds into the rest of the world.

Furry fandom and otherkin might be a minor silliness and practically invisible in the real world but i'm sure there are lots of people you meet daily who know about it and aren't willing to admit they know about it. Maybe one day it will break out of the internet bubble to be more visible just as internet feminism and anti-feminism might start having greater real world consequences.

>> No.5756038
File: 16 KB, 310x233, Mah Nigga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5755966

I myself never was an MRA or a white nationalist, but this nigger right here gets it.

>> No.5756041

>>5755966
*more time bashing feminism than doing things about men's issues

>> No.5756042

>>5755966
>You're not beyond being manipulated just because you joined an internet culture that calls itself redpilled, dipshits.
The more certain someone is they know a "truth" the more wrong they always are.

>> No.5756044

>>5756020
>The internet is making the crazies seem more of a problem than they actually are. I don't think there's any need to worry.

So fucking true.

I've met maybe two SJW type feminists and they were people everyone finds insufferable.