[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 289 KB, 507x324, 1376808844163.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5737370 No.5737370 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/, I don't know where else to go, but I need help.

I am struggling with babbys first existential crisis. Everything I know and see is so absurd I can't even believe in it anymore, if that makes any sense. I've been freaking out about this for awhile now. It makes NO SENSE whatsoever that we exist in the here and now. Nothing feels objective to me anymore. I feel like I'm just an observer now.

What the fuck do I do? How do I get over this? It's been on my mind for a long time and I can't get over it. I've been reading a lot of Camus lately, I don't know if it helped or triggered the whole thing

>> No.5737386

I know that feel OP, I have heart burn from eating a bunch thanksgiving food over the weekend and there's no pepto bismol in the house.

I don't know if there's a book that can actually get you over a crisis like that.

>> No.5737389

>>5737370
Start with the Greeks.

>> No.5737392

>>5737386
Is this an analogy or are you shit posting?

>> No.5737400

>>5737389
But Anonymous, I've already perused the Persians, chatted with the chinks, and sang along with Sumerians.

And I've already read The Meditations

>> No.5737416

>>5737392
Its a true story. There might not be a book that can help OP solve his crisis which means he'll have to deal with it himself, just like how there's no pepto bismol in the house so I have to deal with heartburn by myself.

>> No.5737422

>>5737416
I STILL don't know if you're shit posting or if that's actually a really clever way of dealing with an existential crisis. Fuck you

>> No.5737431

>>5737422
not that anon but you need to find a meaning in your own life. Make some goal for yourself and maybe base it around the morals you hold. Like 'make the world less shitty' or something

>> No.5737441

>>5737422
I really do have heart burn Anon. My analogy was pretty stupid, but it felt appropriate for some reason.

>> No.5737443

>>5737431
I know why it's shitty, I just can't objectively see the point in doing all that. Everything feels so fragile

>> No.5737445

>>5737441
But you're also telling me I have to deal with this myself, like you're going to go without your pepto, I should go without anyone holding my hand.

I hope I find my pepto one day, anon

>> No.5737449

>>5737443
that's because there isn't any point to it all.
If you've got empathy, then use it. If you don't, do whatever makes you feel good

>> No.5737452

>>5737445
You either find your pepto or you'll have to wait and let the heartburn pass. It's not as bad as it sounds.

>> No.5737503

>Everything I know and see is so absurd I can't even believe in it anymore

Absurd compared to what?

>It makes NO SENSE whatsoever that we exist in the here and now.

Nonsense compared to what?

>> No.5737509

>>5737370
>I've been reading a lot of Camus lately
it shows

If you still hold an interest in Camus, then you can read more into absurdism, which is effectively the issue you're dealing with right now. I personally found his solutions to nihilism as inadequate, but with existentialist philosophy it's more about what you take out of each reading.
You may also want to read some of Sartre's stuff, which is somewhat similar and the two are often compared.
One thing you'll find about Camus is that, despite being widely considered an existentialist and somewhat of a nihilist, rejected both classifications (personally, I think his philosophy fits both).

Of course you can always delve into other existentialist philosophers like Kierkegard, Kafka, Nietzche, Heidegger, even Kant (though he's not exactly an existentialist).

Most existentialists focus on defining personal purpose, with the acknowledgment that life is effectively pointless, it's up to the individual to discern their own purpose for fulfillment.

>> No.5737538

>>5737509
>kekergaard
we aren't Christians m8

>> No.5737555

>>5737538
his interpretation of religion is valid, though. Whether or not you're christian doesn't disprove this.

If you really find that big of a problem with his view on religion and faith, then you can read Nietzche in response.