[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 313 KB, 1056x1408, books.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
573481 No.573481 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/ ya know when you read a soft cover and soon the cover becomes warped and won't close on it's own without bending upward? Well, has anyone found a way to circumvent this, if so please do share. This is bugging the shit out of me.

>> No.573496

Glue wood blocks to either side of the cover.

Other than that, you're fucked.

>> No.573502

>>573496
this is actually not a bad idea

a thin veneer of plywood on the inside of paperback would fix this problem

>> No.573509

Wrapping the outside with that plastic stuff libraries use helps a little.

>> No.573523

>>573496
My god, I might try this, many thanks anonerniminious

>> No.573526

I cycle my most recently read softcovers to the bottom of a tower of books in hopes that time and force will serve to at least particullar fix that problem.

Also, I take care not to bend the cover unnecessarily when reading. Prevention and all that.

>> No.573537

>>573526
>particullar
What the fuck? *partially
I fucking typed 'particular' AGAIN when I tried to correct myself there!

>> No.573539

When you're done, leave it under a couple of textbooks/encyclopedias for a few days.

>> No.573552

1. Get some of that transparent, tough as shit mailing tape.

2. Place the end of the tape right where the back cover starts on the inside of the book and extend the tape over the inside portion of the cover, back around the outside of the cover, and then over the inside of the front cover to where it ends. cut off that strip of tape.

3. Repeat this process until the entire book cover is covered in the clear tap. You might want to give it 2 to 3 coats of the stuff. Be sure to keep it tight so you don't have bubbles in the tape.

It is time consuming, but that makes the cover stay flat and also makes it nearly indestructible.

>> No.573567

What about the creases?
I hate getting creases on the spine of my book (I have no idea why, but Penguin books seem to have this A LOT worse than other paperbacks).

>> No.574471

>>573567
Book repair tape will take care of that.

>> No.574480

Take pride in know that your books didn't end up looking like shit because they went unread.

>> No.576495

i just dont open the book up all the way. just enough to peek inside and turn the pages. it saves the binding and the book stays in its pristine condition. the only creased and curly books i have were bought second hand.

>> No.576510

>>573567
better than tor's which just fall the fuck off.