[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.58 MB, 347x200, humancrosssection.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5717408 No.5717408 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any profound, greater meaning to love, or does the fact that it's a just chemical process developed for mating and social unity as a survival tactic make it as meaningless as any other reflex?

>> No.5717441

the love chemical is sort of known. its oxytocin.

sometimes when people take shit stronger than oxytocin, as in if someone is addicted to heroin, they need for heroin can make mothers sell their children's body for money ETC.

but some people will die for their children, or even ignore heroin addiction.

The chemicals are what they are. but some people seem to have a sort of mental love that they dont lose sight of. my hunch is that most people are not capable of this higher love.

Kinda sounds like Kant's two levels of love now that i think about it.

>> No.5717455 [DELETED] 

The only people who shit on about love being a worthless chemical process are those bitter fuckasses on /r9k/

No one gives a shit. It feels good. I could give a rats ass about what it is.

>> No.5717463

Love is another distraction from the truth, only a couple degrees away from simple lust. The only patrician "love" is that which transcends the carrot-and-stick dopamine circuit and is based on mutual appreciation of the other's intellect and the subsequent desire to combine the two to do good by the world.

Nothing good comes out of pleb love. Only empty heroics, violence and shallow self gratification.

>> No.5717472

>>5717455
>No one gives a shit. It feels good. I could give a rats ass about what it is.
So you admit that it has no deeper meaning, and you only appreciate it as a DRA?

If not, please expound, I'm genuinely curious.

>> No.5717499

If love wasn't so prevalent and romanticized in media, I suspect most people wouldn't want, need, nor even mention it their whole lives.

>> No.5717554

>>5717408
You have to be at least 18 years old to post here.

>> No.5717577

>>5717554
Care to state your opinion on the subject, or did you just want to make a vague insult?

>> No.5717655

>>5717408
There's no meaning to either of those things and they are meaningless distinctions from each other. Neither is there love.

>> No.5717732

>>5717463

>Nothing good comes out of pleb love. Only empty heroics, violence and shallow self gratification.

Wow. I think I needed to hear this. I've been generally successful in my relationships and normally I'm pretty sanguine about love, but the girl I'm with right now has driven me to think and feel some crazy shit.

>> No.5717733

>>5717408
we have word for it but that doesn't mean it has a purpose. but believing things is fun so think about your question and believe your conclusion until you have a better one.

>> No.5719422

>>5717408
implying social unity and mating are meaningless?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

>> No.5719424

I don't understand why chemicals being involved should cheapen our sense of love as being meaningful.

Things are meaningful because of how we relate to them and experience them, not because they have divine or pseudo-divine origins.

>> No.5719435

>>5717499

Are you seriously suggesting that love was not practiced or desired prior to ca. 1950?

>> No.5719488

>>5719424
Pretty much this. Love, whatever it precisely is, is only as meaningless as your existence. You can define for yourself what it means within your own system of values. Personally I'm a fan of some kind of a close connection to something other than your own thoughts.

>> No.5721240
File: 182 KB, 718x721, beaver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5717408
Everything you ever have or will will think or do, is just chemicals in your brain reacting to situations. It doesn't make it any less beautiful when you do it.

I have found over the years, however, that while knowledge most certainly is power, that ignorance is bliss. All too often, I wish I could simply enjoy things without knowing why and how they came to be. Love and 'natural vanilla flavoring' are both excellent examples.

>> No.5721300

>>5721240
yukikazeee!!