[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 52 KB, 600x480, Picture Unrelated..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
571703 No.571703 [Reply] [Original]

Hello there, I was wondering if any of you could recommend books that deal with societies view on sexuality? The only thing I can seem to think of is Lolita and The Scarlet letter,

>> No.571731

anything by that chick who wrote the awakening

>> No.571746

>>571731

Kate Chopin

>> No.571755

ANGELA CARTER
esp. The Bloody Chamber (get it OP)

And Dracula, kind of. I mean, it embodies it's own time's most conservative attitudes to sexuality.

Even earlier, Christina Rossetti's poems - esp. Goblin Market - are interesting on this subject.

Jane Austen may also count - but I've never read her, to my mixed pride and embarassment.

>> No.571759

>>571746
>>571755
op here, thank you very much, I will try and track these down.

>> No.571763

The Ethical Slut

>> No.571772

Cool! After you read Dracula (which Carter's book is a great primer for or which is a great primer for Carter; I'm not sure which), you might also want to check out Christopher Craft's essay 'Kiss Me WIth Those Red Lips' wot is available on google books last time I checked.

>> No.571800

Crash by JG Ballard
I guess, Choke by Palahniuk
In the miso soup by Ryu Murakami

>> No.571803

Oranges are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson is quite a good book, an easy read too.

It's about a young girl who grows up in an incredibly fundementally religious family, and slowly discovers herself to be a lesbian. Hilarity does not ensue.

But yeah, like i said, a light read, but with an interesting style (the story is interspersed with a type of fairy tale that the girl makes up), a very innocent view on the way that sexuality develops.

>> No.571828
File: 26 KB, 432x648, 9571941.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1950s society says it's okay for Buddy Willard to sleep with a waitress, but Esther's expected to remain pure. Her only choices are to stay a virgin until she marries, or lose her virginity, everyone'll think she's a slut, and no one would want her.

>> No.571847

>>571828
let me ask you a question: are you only one guy constantly posting those comments and threads about plath and her stuff?

not saying its bad (it's decent for a woman), but come on...

On the same note, I suspect that there are about 10 regulars here who are responsible for about 80% of the threads. And they are always the same threads.
Not that I still mind too much on such a slow board as /lit/.