[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 120 KB, 272x271, 1263409777593.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
571620 No.571620 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: We share stories of things people have said in real life about books and/or literature that made us rage.

I'll start. There's this one girl, in final year at secondary school (britfag, so 16 years old), she's intelligent, but she reads the Harry Potter series and Twilight saga (eugh, I hate to use such a nice sounding word like saga in relation to that shit) again and again...seriously, on Facebook statuses saying 'almost finished New Moon' or 'just starting HP again' are very regular. Of course I have nothing against rereading books, but they should at least be good books and you should read other things.

Now, the bit that really made me rage. She asked in a status update, 'What should I reread next, Twilight or Harry Potter?' So, I endeavoured to ask why she doesn't read a book she hasn't read before, and she gives me two reasons, the second of which is most infuriating.

1) she doesn't have enough money and doesn't have a library card. Oh come on, books aren't bank-busting, and I'm sure her parents would fork out for one to get her off that garbage.

2) I feel safe reading familiar books.

That is what she said.

Your turn.

>> No.571625

Shameless self bump.

>> No.571627

Get over her.

Also, a lot of people are like this. See, people who vacation in the same spot year after year. People who only eat in one type of restaurant. It's lack of imagination, combined with fear (of hurt, bad food, bad book, bad hotel etc).

If you want to help her, recommend a fantasy book that's actually good, like the Hobbit for example, which you can pimp by saying that they are making a major film about. But I'd just get over her, and wait for her to get a new set of friends, or grow up a bit.

>> No.571630

>>571627
Which isn't what you were asking, sorry.

What makes me rage is occasionally I would run across a person who says that all fiction is "bullshit" "its crap, its all made up rubbish". Especially science fiction and fantasy, but they would also say this about normal fiction too.
If they read books it's autobiographies or books about TV shows.

Not exactly rageful, but it seriously makes my head fizz.

>> No.571636

I know a guy who obsessively read Harry Potter books for years and basically nothing else. I saw him the other week for the first time in a year or so and he's started some literature course at university, so, obviously, he's now an expert on the subject.

Anyway, we're all at my friends house and the conversation turns to books we've read. My friend only reads real-life stories about kids that were abused and concentration camps so I start telling her about the stuff I've recently been reading/ordered. Stuff like Titus Groan, A Clockwork Orange, Frankenstein, The Trial etc etc etc when all of a sudden the Harry Potter guy pipes up:

Now, before I continue, this is a guy who has traveled from England to Boston to go to a Harry Potter convention last year. And dressed as a wizard at the midnight release in London. You know the type.

So, he shouts (to my friend, not me): "YOU SHOULD READ SOME DECENT BOOKS LIKE THE CATCHER IN THE RYE OR LORD OF THE RINGS OR THE GREAT GATSBY".

He then spends the entire night repeating these 3 titles every time we're talking about books, because these are the book he has read at university and are literary genius compared to the shite he used to read. So, now he thinks he's fucking Dr. Literature because he has read three books (one of which isn't even good).

It pissed me off, anyway...

>> No.571639

>>571627
>>571630

The funny thing is, I don't even know her very well...just the idea that a book is 'safe' makes me think of deliberate ignorance to new ideas, which in itself is a concept I can't understand.

And yes, I understand what you mean in that second post. I know some people like that.

>> No.571644

I've got a friend who didn't, until a week ago, know that Lotr was a book.

>> No.571660

Been giving this girl books to read for years now, she loves everything I give her, I know her taste exactly. Couple weeks ago I gave her Ender's Game, she said it's looks "a little gay" and isn't sure if she's going to read it or not. Rage part one over. Then a few days after that remark she asked if I had a copy of the catcher in the rye I could lend her. Rage complete.

>> No.571661

Various people that put "what's a book?" under the "favourite book" thing at the facebook information page. They do this to sound cool, and it makes me rage to no end. Their stupidity also entertains me a great deal though, so it's not all bad.

>> No.571664

>>571660
Ender's Game IS gay and Catcher in the Rye is a fucking classic.

>> No.571666

>>571636
But which of the three...? GREAT GATSBY gets my vote.

>> No.571669

>>571661

Or basically anything that isn't a title of a book. Preferable a good one. I've started just putting what I'm currently reading, what I just finished, and what I plan on reading next in that bit. Much easier than trying to think of favourite books.

>> No.571673

>>571664
Butthurt loner attacking people who have girl friends.

>> No.571676

>>571664
just get the fuck our right now

>> No.571675 [DELETED] 

>>571660

All libraries should place Card's works in the LGBTQ section.

>> No.571680

"This book is too thick."

RAGE

>> No.571681

>>571660

Libraries should relocate all Card's works to the LGBT section.

>> No.571684

>>571681

You're just saying that because a training school full of underaged boys is too fabulous for you.

>> No.571685

When people give me funny looks for reading on the bus. They can fuck right off.

>> No.571686
File: 69 KB, 500x726, facepalm1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>571676
>>571673
>Replying to obvious troll

>> No.571687

>>571685

What the hell is wrong with reading in the bus?

>> No.571689

>>571685

You sure they're giving you those looks 'cos you're reading? Maybe it's something else, your appearance perhaps? It just seems strange to give someone looks because they're reading.

>> No.571692

>>571687

Nothing. I live in the north east of England and people tend to be uneducated fucks who look down on people who read a lot. It's 'that' kind of area.

>> No.571695

>>571692

Where in the North are you?

I'm in Stoke and while people don't really look at me funny for reading on the bus people tend to act like I'm doing something wrong by enjoying books.

>> No.571696

>>571689

No, I even hear them muttering to their friends sometimes, 'oh my God is he reading?'

Seriously, it's that bad. Not everyone's like that, of course, but enough to make me hate this place. I'm taking Paradise Lost with me next week, I wonder what they'll say about that.

>> No.571697

>>571695

Near Middlesbrough, on the coast. Of course, it's almost all chavs who are guilty of this.

>> No.571701

>>571696
Probably nothing, considering they don't care enough about books to even know what Paradise Lost is.

>> No.571702

>>571701

Fair point. I was more thinking that they'd see the poetry as opposed to prose and then have a little fit.

>> No.571704

Ay up lad, thars readin a booook? get thee down t'pit before thee becomes wun o them gays.

>> No.571706

>In college, reading Hitchhiker's Guide Ultimate Edition
Retarded Girl: OMIGOD, what class is that for? it's huge!
Me: It's not for a class, I'm just reading it.
Retarded Girl: ...
Me: .... what?

IT'S A BOOK, IT'S NOT STRANGE AT ALL.

>> No.571707

>>571685
I read on the bus and the train. People fucking STARE AT YOU. I suggest they stare at the people listening to music instead.

>> No.571709

Whenever someone says that Alice in Wonderland was written while Lewis Carroll was high or that he was a pedo.

>> No.571713

>>571704

I chuckled.

>>571707

This guy knows what I mean.

One other thing that annoys me a lot, and I know it's mostly good intentions but it's still annoying; when people talk to you when you are obviously trying to read. I think they think it's a gap in conversation and just don't seem to register that reading is not a way to fill time between when they speak, but an actual activity, not to e interrupted.

>> No.571714

Nothing too rage-worthy here:

I was reading Dante's Inferno back in high school and this guy (who knew what it was) was completely baffled when I told him I was reading it for fun and not for a class.
Same book, but dumb bitch instead: She asked me if it was scary. I laughed and said no.

Besides those, I tend to not read in public besides at work.
Several of my coworkers have gawked at the size of the books I read (namely, A Clash of Kings).

One of my friends reads Twilight, but she reads a lot and understands it's fucking terrible. She just likes vampires and I can't hate her for that.

>> No.571716

when people struggle to understand the concept of reading for pure enjoyment.

>> No.571717

When I laugh while reading a book and people look at me like I have downs syndrome.

>> No.571747

>>571714

>One of my friends reads Twilight, but she reads a lot and understands it's fucking terrible. She just likes vampires and I can't hate her for that.

Have you redirected her to Anne Rice's works? They're more worthwhile, as far as books about vampires go.

>> No.571754

>>571716

More the reason why I hate my high school.

>> No.571758

>>571716
Which is 99% of the users on /lit/.

>> No.571776

>>571713
Motherfucking this! How can people fail to grasp this is beyond me. Fuck.

>> No.571783

Im one of those people that cant stand to reread stuff...

>> No.571786

>>571758

What?

>> No.571787

>>571716
I wish that schools would make us read real books here. For on of my highschool books we got Saturday, i fucking challenge you to read the first 50 pages.

>> No.571801

>>571716
99% of /lit/ reads to feel good about themselves - They feel "intellectual" and better than ordinary people. This makes me rage.

>> No.571805

>>571787

Saturday was a weird one, but really quite amazing at times.

It was unrealistic and set-up in ways.

But some of the lines in that book blew me away.

"Sex is a different medium, refracting time and sense. A biological hyperspace as remote from conscious existence as dreams, or as water is from air"

>> No.571806

"The Catcher in the Rye was a fantastic book. It changed my life." - George W. Bush

>> No.571809

>>571801
well, all the "unpretentious" readers read to feel good about themselves as well. Sci-Fi, Fantasy and crime novels are escapism, they have some artistic value but the overboardingly obsessive praise displayed for them here on /lit/ makes me rage as well.

Actually, there is always something I read on /lit/ that makes me rage, but I have learned to deal with stuff like that...

>> No.571816

Indiafag here. I rage when all people read here is either:
1. Twilight
2. Harry Potter
3.Sidney Sheldon
4. Dan Brown
5. Chetan Bhagat (Indian guy who writes in English, laughably bad)

Also, favorite books in FaceBook: "I don't read bookssssss" or ''Facebook'' or ''What are books??".... FFFFFFFFUUUUUUU-

>> No.571821

>>571661
I always put "Reading is for nerds".

I'm ironic like that.

>> No.571849

>>571627

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are not that good.

>> No.571850

>>571821

Considering the fact that you're here, you're as nerdy as they come.

>> No.571861

when I was in high school, some spic motherfucker who could barely speak english asked me why I was reading, and if it was because my parents made me read. he was completely serious and wasn't trying to fuck with me or anything.

>> No.571863

>>571861

Asiafag here. Same happened to me. Damn FOBs.

>> No.571864
File: 50 KB, 500x375, hipster stabbed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>571821
>teehee i'm ironic
10/10

>> No.571885

I rage at people who put "FHM LOL" under their "favourite books" on facebook.

I have a whole situation that makes me rage in a more prolonged fashion. My situation is that I have no one to discuss literature with.

Barely any of my friends read, and those that do, have no real interest in digging deeper, they'll only read Harry Potter or Twilight, or in one friend's case, The Dark Tower series, which is fine, but I just wish I could discuss the awesomeness of Kafka with someone in real life. ;_;

>> No.571887

sfsfxzdshfhI sgsfdfsesfsfsdgsdhssxzdsfdsgs

>> No.571889

Not really rage, but more like "hahahawhat".

In my Freshman year, I was reading Lovecraft. This greasy, long-haired (like longer than most girls') guy approaches me. We chat for a bit. He smells like rotten asshole.
Anyway, he tells me about how he was in the Cult of Cthlulu and how he ate goat brains and drank blood.
He asked if I wanted to join.
The next day I brought Dune instead.

>> No.571891

I have one modern literature class currently....even though shit isnt that modern. We've read some pretty good stuff, a farewell to arms, as i lay dying, lots of good poems.

Well....naturally the professor has to placate the niggers and make them think they write good books to because "their eyes were watching god" is thrown in there for some reason. I read it, it's a really stupid book. I mean....i guess it's alright, but....definitely not a classic or worthy of being in with all these other great works.

We have one single black girl in the class. We showed up to talk about the book, everyone in the class is silent except her, obviously everyone but her hated it.

This dumb melon humper says "Well i think it's the best book i ever read. It's 'The color purple' of our generation".

man i lol'd and yet raged when i got out of class

>> No.571894

>>571891

god damn it. keep that racist shit in /b/

tired of this crap bleeding into all the other boards.

>> No.571896

>>571894
not so much about racism as it is about stupidity

>> No.571897

>>571891

Go back to the VNN. Stop giving /lit/ cancer.

>> No.571902

>>571894
Their Eyes Were Watching God really is a shitty book. I spent more time trying to decipher the dialects than I did the subtext.

>> No.571903

>>571902
well....the problem is even when you get past the dialect, there isnt any subtext

>> No.571905

>>571894
anyone of any intellect should be wary of blacks in higher education
they are the fucking worst

>> No.571906

My mother often bemoans the fact that I read comic books, as opposed to "proper" books.

Whilst it's true that in my early adolescence I enjoyed the work of Richard Adams and George Orwell, her argument is somewhat undercut by the fact that she thoroughly enjoyed the works of Dan Brown, going so far as to buy both The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons on DVD. She has also expressed an interest in Twilight.

>> No.571908

>>571894
>implying people act racist just to be LOLSORANDOM
you obviously haven;t been around enough black people

>> No.571910

>>571903
That's what I thought. I'm a little weary to talk bad about the book since I read it so long ago I don't remember much about it, but my understanding is that it was just about this one black chick and why her life was so hard-- and her life was hard because she kept dating stupid irresponsible fucktards.

But if I had to pull a high school interpretation out of my ass, I'd guess that the hurricane represented a white society destroying what little the black characters had; and they were helpless against it so all they could do was look at God. Did that book even have white characters repressing the black ones? It must have. Why else would we have read it?

>> No.571911

>>571908
Yeah brah....i wasnt born racist but after i went to school with them, played sports with them, worked with them. Yeah......not my type of folk.

>> No.571914

>>571894
>implying racism is wrong.

>> No.571917

>>571910
pretty much. even though no white people actually do anything bad in the book, the main character was actually mostly raised by a nice white family, they do say all in the book that white people are bad and rule the world....even though you never see any besides in the very beginning.

>> No.571920

ZNH was actually not very anti-white and despised blacks who whined about whites all the time and didn't try to solve the problems in the black community themselves. She was also pro-segregation and said "Slavery was the price we paid for civilization."

>> No.571963

when i was reading LOTR and people asked if i was reading the bible.

>> No.572001
File: 25 KB, 450x268, 1271522725346.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of my classmates, who can barely read a couple of paragraphs of a book summary (too much text wtf) often approaches me when I'm reading during a break and she asks 'What are you reading?'

When I'm not answering she tries to take a look at the cover, which means she grabs the book and tries to read the title (when I'm still fucking reading and the books is on my lap).

The thing is that I doubt she even knows that Twilight is a book also. She doesn't know shit about books, she can't name any novels except for the ones we had to read for the classes. And she's still the person with the best marks overall.

So, somehow she manages to get the title of the 'brick' I'm reading (once she asked 'what is this brick?' and I answered 'It's called a book') - just to say:

'Ah'

And she leaves.

>> No.572039

>>572001

It's worse when they ask "What's it about" when it's obvious that you just began reading.

>> No.572048

When my friends think I read to 'look clever' or 'look pretentious'...why would anyone want to look pretentious...I just shouldn't read around them but what the fuck else am I supposed to do on a 16 hour road trip?

>> No.572054

>>572048

Some friends you got. Drop them like a rock.

>> No.572057

>>572048
Fuck if I know...
Ask /v/, or /co/ or /a/ or something? No I'm kidding.

16 hours road trip? Batteries for Gameboy won't last that long, comic books are finished in that amount of time unless you brought a series, and manga is comic books.
Most laptops batteries only lasts for less than that and etc. etc.

To cut long story short I think a good thick book is the only small thing to fill the space of time with.
And I said "good" not "bad", not some vague story that you get bored of after 2 hours but something you can keep reading for years.

>> No.572060

>>571963

Well, you should have said yes.

>> No.572071

>>572048
how about drinking? or tripping?

oh, yeah, you might try talking. I talk trash with my friends non stop and did so once for 48 hours. I could not even concentrate enough to read in a car packed with other people that I know and like.

>> No.572073

>>572048
maybe they just want to talk with you. it's kind of rude to if your friend is driving you somewhere and you'd prefer to sit quietly and read.
just saying.

>> No.572081

one afternoon me and about 5 other guys are sitting on the porch. One person brings up 'The Giver', I forget why. Either way, everyone besides me starts either explaining the plot (generally wrong) or expressing how awesome and insightful this book is. We are all college age guys, 18-21ish. They go for about 20 minutes talking about the fucking Giver. I timidly try to interject taht i read that book and thought it was a little childish...in when i was 10. I didnt know how to explain to them that they are all 4th grade equivalent readers.

>> No.572085

One time in my Latin American Lit class we were discussing La biblioteca de Babel and the prof asked, "who is the protagonist of the story?"

One guy responded "Books?"

>> No.572089

I started reading when I was 15yo because my mother treated me like an ignorant for not knowing the rivers from Europe, who Hemingway was and typical cultural stuff someone from the past generation would know (I'm from South America so knowing European geography or having read a Farewell to arms is not exactly what we learn in school).

I'd still considered myself quite smart and kind of well read for a guy of my age (I used to read all the time when I was a few years younger, I had my own opinions, I was one of the top students from the class, etc).

Still, that fucking bitch made me feel worthless just because she read a lot and I didn't (and by a lot, I mean a LOT, my house is full of bookshelves).

Anyway, 10 years later, she still reads like crazy, I read almost as twice as she does. It took me a while to realize she was a dumb whore who just liked to read to kill time. However, no matter how hard I try to convince myself she's indeed stupid and I'm more accomplished than she is or will ever be, I still know that deep down she still thinks I'm an ignorant.

FUCKING MOM

>> No.572104

'What you reading for?'
Video related.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvs2g5Nj0NI

>> No.572111

>>572089

>Hey, ma. Lookit me. Imma so much better.

>> No.572112

Britfags ITT? join us on tinychat dot com/lit2 later on tonight

>> No.572131

one time I read ayn rand and this whole board said I was wrong

>> No.572170

>>572131

Haters gonna hate? Just my guess.

>> No.572174

>>572085
i think he did it for teh lulz

>> No.572338

>>571816
Kiran Desai any good? A friend recently purchased "The Inheritance of Loss" for me as a going-away present, and I'm wondering whether to read it now or save it for the flight.

As for the raging, well, guys who see me reading and then clumsily flirt by trying to sound intelligent. I.E. in high school. when I was reading Fahrenheit 451 at the park and some guy sees me and then asks if I think what the firefighters did in the book was heroic, because they were saving the world. I just remember asking him if he was retarded before leaving.

The other is when I am at the bookstore and some twatwaffle of a female asks me if OMG HAVE YOU READ THE TWILIGHT BOOKS THEY'RE SO GOOD. The same things happen inevitably- either I try to tell them I do not LIKE the books and they get mad, I lose my temper and tell them that Meyer is a shit writer of shit books and they cry, or else they tell me I have no taste in books because Meyer is one of the best writers they've ever read, and my response is usually along the lines of "well, don't breed, and have va good life."

>> No.572350

>>572338
"twatwaffle" many thanks for the new word, also
>implying women read
>implying there are girls on the internet

>> No.572375

>>572338
you must be a terrible bitch. people just want to talk to you and you run from them slurring around

>> No.572378

>>572338
Haven't read Fahrenheit. He asked something stupid?

>> No.572379

>>572338

Never said I wasn't a bitch, but anyone who thinks that Twilight is a legitimately good book is likely someone I don't want to associate with. I'm not an elitist by any means- Lilian Jackson Braun is my favorite guilty pleasure - but I DO have standards.

>> No.572387

>>572379
i was talking about this guy, actually

>> No.572404
File: 21 KB, 208x191, 1269894545365.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any time I hear someone claim that Jane Austen was feminist. If Jane Austen is considered feminist, then I don't wanna know about its compared misogyny.

>> No.572447

>>572338
>>572338
never read her. my friend was raving about 'The Inheritance of Loss'. Of course, his surname is Desai too, so I'm not sure whether his recommendation is without bias...

>> No.572458

"I don't need to read, that's why God invented wikipedia"

GAHHHH

It wouldn't upset me so much except that it's a very common sentiment.

>> No.572459

>>572447
Huh, I thought Kiran was a male name- I have a friend from Pune named Kiran at least, who is a male. Now, Anita Desai, I've read. She's an interesting bird.

>> No.572486

>>572458

wiki-dilettantes are the cancer killing academia.

>> No.572507
File: 66 KB, 701x497, 1269458155621.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Reading Frankenstein
>girl: "What are you reading?"
>answer
>"That's a book now?"

>> No.572517

Well, when I was in highschool I used to get the 'are you reading one of your crazy books again?' all the time, but I laughed it off. I don't have a problem with people not liking books, to each his own.

>> No.572535

>>572459
I know 6 Kirans. 3 are girls, 3 are guys :|
The 3 males are South Indians and the 3 females are North Indians, so it must be a cultural thing.

>> No.572539

>>572447
Last Indian book I read was between the assassinations. It was frustrating to say the least.

>> No.572552

a girl I met claimed to be a book lover, she only read self-help books

>> No.572561

Dated a guy, mentioned stopping into the library for a second. He goes, "I think I've been in a library... once," in that ha-ha way you say when you think it's funny someone is wasting their time on something you have no use for.

He didn't last.

Have a good friend who, when I asked him what he read, said, "I'm not much of a reader, I'm a doer."

>> No.572569

>>572561
Libraries? People still use them?

>> No.572572

This may be slightly off topic, but in grade school we used to have these stupid read along things where every kid would take a turn reading a page. I would finish the book by the time they were reading through the fifth page, and would flip out whatever I was reading for leisure as I waited.

I was constantly getting into trouble for reading in reading class because of this, and it drove me absolutely nuts. I ended up reading Hatchet something like 8 times in a row because I wasn't allowed to do anything else.

>> No.572576

Anybody who still cites To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, or Night as being one of the most life-changing books they've read with a serious and dire look on their face. Or lists one of them in their top ten books on public profiles. Easiest way to tell when someone stopped reading after high school

>> No.572577

>>572572

Oh, God, THIS. Where all the other kids struggle to read something like "Rita ate her sandwich and cookies, then went to do her homework," and you're ten pages ahead, but the teacher gets mad at you for not waiting while your classmates struggle with basic single-syllable words.

>> No.572584

>>572569
I just got back from one. I'd say about a third of the books I've ever read have come from libraries. They are an excellent resource.

>> No.572591

>>572572

Heh. I remember in grade 1 or whenever it was when we had "reading buddies": older kids who would come and help us read, my buddy used to read out loud really slowly so I'd always finish the page before her and then get really bored waiting for her to catch up. The thing is, she was probably just reading slowly to allow me to follow along, but I didn't realize that at the time so I thought it would be rude to tell her to speed up.

>> No.572595

>>572572
Oh god, this. This.

I had to read this stupid fable (and write an essay) five times over after some douchebag told the teacher I was reading this wrong story. It's not my fault I read fast as a 10-year old.

Fuck you, Brandon Turner.

>> No.572627

>>571706
I love those books, got the whole series from my dad when I was in high school.

Speaking of which, even in my senior year, most students stumbled over simple words. If it had more than three syllables, they probably couldn't pronounce it. Or spell it, for that matter. Not to mention their habit of just asking the three or four students in the class who had actually read the book to explain it to them. Usually, by the time you hit eighteen, you are expected to know how to read.

>> No.572637

>>572572
Ugh, had that, too. They would take all school year for a 150-page book because half the class would ignore the book, and the other half would ignore the work related to the book. I had it done the first day, then I'd read through it once or twice more at my leisure. Every single time. Just started bringing my own books in, and nobody would say anything about it.

>> No.572643

>>572595
lol'd due to homomnym

>> No.572645

Bad memories of eighth grade coming back. Nothing like getting a beating for reading during the half-hour a week of required reading. Heaven forbid I bring in something I enjoy, rather than one of the books they have in the classroom, which were usually intended for three grades lower, because nobody was fucking literate.

>> No.572654

>>572643

I didn't even realize that!

>> No.572659
File: 412 KB, 528x904, wat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>571644

>> No.572667

>>572338

Blech I have a friend like that, he's smart as shit (much smarter than me) and really good with geography and he's always saying little slighting things to me, like we'll be talking about some historical thing and he'll be like "haha as if you even know where <x> is on a map"

what a cock.

>> No.572670

>>572667
he requires pzowning with some knowledge he does not have

>> No.572672

I read a lot of the "classics" but a lot of the time I read pulp stuff for entertainment. I'm not going to knock people who read Twilight, I just wish they would try some different authors and genres.
For example, I have shelves of Warhammer 40,000 books, Baen science fiction titles, lesser known fantasy authors (J.V. Jones, Glen Cook, Robin Hobb) and even some regrettably bad series (Terry Goodkind) On my other shelf are Tolstoy, Euripidies, Sophocles, Moliere, Aristophanes, Ariosto, Flaubert, Rushdie, Saramago, etc.
Most of the time people can't identify with the books I read regardless of which type I'm reading. And I'm OK with this. Even the pulp stuff is better than most movies these days.

tl;dr: I don't rage over people who don't read or only read popular things

>> No.572680

>>572338
I am pretty sure nothing of this has actually happened.

>> No.572682

>>572672

Markus, go back to playing ME2. I see you on /lit/.

>> No.572683

>>572680
it might have, but not to her/he

>> No.572690

>>572680

Both have happened. The second is the reason I buy most books off Amazon or AbeBooks these days. We have an AWESOME bookstore here called McKay's, but I can't even go there anymore because of all the idiots who think that if a book has a vampire, it's amazing.

>> No.572692

>>572670

Eh it's useless. He won't accept that he's wrong on something ever unless I go out and find journal articles and shit to back me up. And it's much worse when we're arguing about something that can't be resolved by a simple wikipedia search (i.e. politics or religion or whatever). He gets so flustered when contradicted that he'll basically yell at me and completely miss my points and if I try to explain myself better he just gets more pissed and I'm like what the fuck is the point.

I think I'm going to stop hanging out with him.

>> No.572696

>>572690
I still think you are full of shit.

And in case you aren't, get yourself checked by a specialist. Not because of your literary tastes, but because you lack basic social skills.

>> No.572697

>>571696

Same here in Germany. I started reading books in public transport and since i recived those looks Sometimes they start asking: "do you hae to read for school, then if i reply with no, i like reading they seem even more surprised

>> No.572705

>>572696
Man, I don't know about you, but if anyone talked to me about how heroic the firemen in Fahrenheit 451 were, I'd have just about the same response as the token female.

I love me some Bradbury, and hate me some retards.

>> No.572706

>>572692
I lol'd imagining you running to the interet or the library and scouring academic journals to contradict some douhebag that insults you regularly. Get new friends, it's not worth it.

>> No.572707

>>572696

I live in the fucking American south. There is a very valid reason that I am asocial with these people.

>> No.572717

>>572672
You are not alone. There's nothing wrong with enjoying some good brain candy.

>> No.572721
File: 399 KB, 1193x1787, god-is-not-great.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>572707
I live in the south too man, I feel your pain

The week I was reading "God is not great" by Hitchens, I was worried some redneck shit would see it, and attack me because of how obviously anti-religious the title is

Doesn't help that is a bright yellow book

>> No.572723

>>572697
yeah? I am from Germany as well. I read on public transportation for ages. Basically since I go to the Gymnasium (I did not have to take public transportation for elementary school). Its the most normal thing in the world.
And when I was doing a year abroad in Canada, nobody cared about me reading in public as well, because I was hardly ever the only one reading...

I think you are just venting here because nobody recognizes you reading and this freaks you out, because you want to appear smart.

>> No.572728

>>572721

Try getting told in high school biology that you're going to hell because you agree with Darwin's theory of natural selection, and the only people defending you in the entire school are your Spanish teacher (Auburn educated) and your chemistry teacher (Rutgers educated) while all the OTHER teachers went to the local state university, where football is king, and academia is the piss boy.

>> No.572729

"Hey stranger! What you reading for huhuh?" "Looks like we've got ourselves a reader!"

>> No.572730
File: 240 KB, 1280x720, spirallordimad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>572705
Thisfag here again, I thought of something rageworthy.

This girl I know was dating one of my best friends back in high school and, knowing I was a book geek, she asked me if she could borrow my copy of Return of the King. Apparently she wanted to read LotR but her boyfriend only had the first two for whatever reason.

So I took out my copy, an old paperback my dad had got me when I was reading them for the first time in elementary school, and told her to be incredibly careful with it because it was sentimental to me, and slightly fragile.

Come a month later, I asked her how she was doing on LotR. She looked shocked, and told me she had started reading a different, easier book. I shrugged, and said, "Well, so long as it isn't Twilight."

After a meaningful awkward pause, I asked her for my book back. She then informed me that it "disintegrated" at the bottom of her backpack.

Oh yes, there was rage.

>> No.572733

>>572682

Already finished ME2 with three different playthroughs. I do have the Mass Effect novels, and am seriously considering the Halo series.

I'm probably one of the people /lit/ rages about, but reading selections from the western canon every day can lead to burnout. I need my junk lit.

>> No.572738

>>572728
This isn't as bad as yours but similar

I was arguing with my computer teacher in CC ( Old fat military guy) about global warming.

I told him that if glaciers on land melted the sea level would rise. His response " It doesn't matter because the water would evaporate"

That was his rebuttal. I just kinda stared in silence, and we carried on with the class.

>> No.572739

I tell a friend to read Nineteen Eighty-Four and he's like "I already know pretty well what Orwell is trying to say with the book, I don't have to read it". FFFFffu-

>> No.572746

RE: people reading slowly out loud

I'm at a community college and people still have trouble reading and stumble over basic words. In my intro to phil class we'd often have to take turns reading selections (bullshit class) and people read so haltingly and slowly and shit

What
the
fuck

>> No.572750

>>572733

Heh, I was just remarking because the list you provided is my boyfriend's bookshelf, with a healthy dose of D&D fiction and books on computer repair/construction. He's been playing through ME lately, and just started ME2.

>> No.572751

>>572746

this is not making me look forward to Community College. ;_;

>> No.572752

>>572730
The moral of the story is when people ask to borrow your books, refer them to the library.

>> No.572757

>>572707

I live in the south too. I don't know what you're talking about.

Then again the south is a pretty big place. I'm in Virginia. I've never really seen any anti-intellectualism. Hell I know a fair number of "rednecks" who read regularly.

>> No.572759

>>572751
Just set yourself apart from the common rabble, and be a bit more selective in choosing your friends.

That's what I do anyways.

If its a shitty place then just go there, do your classes, and come home.

Ignore bitches
Get Education

>> No.572761

>>572738
>>572746

So I'm at Pellissippi State Community College, where are you hailing from? Please tell me those kinds of retards are just centralized here in East Tennessee so I have some hope of getting away from them.

>> No.572762

I remember once in high school I was reading a book and some guy I use to talk to walks up to me and asks what class I am reading that book for. I respond with what almost any e/lit/ist would respond with "I'm reading it for the sheer pleasure it brings".

I ask if he's read it and he said, and I quote, "I don't read books, no, wait...I only read 1 book, and that's the book of life." I closed my book, got up, packed my things and left. When he asked where I was going I said I had a prior commitment, but I don't think I've ever raged as much as I did at that moment.

>> No.572767

>>572761
Global warming, and hitchens poster here

I'm from NC

>> No.572772

>>572757

This may explain why Coulter, Hannity, Palin, Beck, et al are always on the best seller list. I don't pay much attention to these people, but I saw "Conservative Victory" on a shelf at a Wal-Mart recently, prominently displayed. I did rage internally for about 5 seconds.

>> No.572774

>>572757

East Tennessee, near Knoxville to be exact. If you read around here, it had damn well better be the stats for the Titans or the Vols.

>> No.572778

>>572728
Was this NJ? It feels like NJ. We had a bible club in HS that I stopped going two within two weeks because most of the students there were adamant creationists. Me, one other student, and the teacher sponsors were the only ones willing to accept the possibility of evolution, never mind claim it as fact.

>>572751
If it makes you feel better, four year colleges are just as bad. I was in a upper level class where we had to give a quick synopsis of a book to classmates. Some girl read a book about Japanese streets. From what I gathered it was a book on traffic and sociology, but all she could say was that Kyoto was the capitol of Japan and the Japanese use streets to get places while Europeans use them to hang out. I felt as if I was having pieces of my brain chipped away as I listened.

>> No.572781

>>572752

Lol man, I lost a friend because I did exactly that. He went into a rage fit about me not trusting him, even though he thrashed all of the 5 books I've lent him throughout the years, and just smirked whenever I got mad about the returned book full of food stains and torn pages.

So yeah, definitely that.

>> No.572793

>>572772

Not really, no.

The whole "HURR SOUDERNERS SO STUPID LOL XD" thing pisses me the fuck off because I think it's totally groundless. I've spent a lot of time in both the South and the North and I think rednecks and yankees are equally stupid.

>> No.572799

>>572778

East Tennessee, where the Bible belt is so tight that it's cut off all blood to the brain.

>> No.572814

>>572793

Location location location. I agree with you but there are some really shit parts of the South where things really *are* that bad.

>> No.572835

>>572793

Okay, let me clarify something- I'm as southern as it can get. My family on both sides has been her since way-back-when (think 1780s), but the education in my state in particular- and the south in general- is atrocious. Tennessee and Mississippi generally vie for the best of the worst when it comes to education spending, quality of education, and test scores.

Southerners tend to be more severely economically disadvantaged than other people in the country due to a lack of education, and a lack of jobs in fields other than production or service industry. My father is a highly intelligent man who taught me to read as soon as he could, but he worked all of his life in hard-labor jobs. That is how it is around here. The people who can get an education get out as soon as possible, and leave the uneducated behind to fester in an economy, lifestyle, and culture that is mediocre at best. People have ceased to care, and just try to survive. That is a horrible way to live. It doesn't help that the people who run things, i.e. the government, keep people down. Look at the way that TVA and the coal industry has retarded economic development in Appalachia since the 50s.

For example: there was a coal-ash spill near here, one which is easily being called the greatest ecological disaster since Exxon-Valdez, and is bigger than that one could have dreamt of being. However, most people around here don't even know the full story or the full possible impact on the region this will have, because of their lack of education and the information given. I was in Germany with my boyfriend's family when it happened, and it made international news there. It barely made page 8 of the Knoxville News Sentinel here.

tl;dr Yes, southerners are ignorant, but it isn't necessarily all their fault.

>> No.572841

>>572835
Do you have a Southern accent?

fap fap fap fap fap

>> No.572844

Nothing immediately comes to mind, but as previously mentioned what people have in their Book section of their Facebook profiles is oftentimes rage inducing.

For example:
> I'm starting to read more books. I love Harry Potter. TWILIGHT. IS. EVIL...and I doubt any teenybopper ACTUALLY read the books. ANYHOW..Alice In Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, Tithe, Ironside, Valiant, The Spiderwick Chronicles. Mostly fantasy and horror, some manga, and more. Recommend me some!

If she was 13 - 15, this would be acceptable, if not a bit frowned upon.
But alas, she's 22.

>> No.572850

>>572841

I don't have the Dolly Parton accent by any means, but I do have a floating southern accent that comes out in spades when I get angry or have been around my family.

>> No.572874

Back to the raging - people who crack their bookspines or who dogear pages. People who do that should be shot, drawn, and quartered.

>> No.572880

Southern accents are hot. Read Faulkner and YouTube that shit.

>> No.572886

>>572850
Mississippifag here: Mine does the same, only add after heavy drinking to that list.

>> No.572889

>>572874
But it's their book. I have friends who buy books specifically so they can dogear and crack the spines. I'm completely fine with that shit.

>> No.572890

>>572886

Heh, when I drink I tend to start speaking German better than I do sober. The accent does pop out at times, though.

>> No.572901

>>572889

HERETICS.

>> No.572911

>>572880

Awkwardcakes. I don't think that's a great idea.

>> No.572916

Get back on topic faggots

>> No.572917

I'm from the north but have lived in the south since I was 5. When I would get stoned apparently I had a southern accent which I never noticed until someone pointed it out.

Weird. Also happens to a lesser extent when drinking but not so much.

Relevant: in Buffalo NY (very "ethnic" place, Irish people still live in the Irish part of town and mostly marry other Irish, etc.) when Irish people get drunk they start to talk with a bit of an Irish accent. I've seen it happen so many times that I don't think it's affected at all.

>> No.572921

>>572890
Yet another thing I doubt. Nobody speaks any language better drunk than when sober. not even the language of love.

You only care less about the fact that you talk like an imbecile.

>> No.572929

>>572921

Why are you so convinced it's impossible?

Maybe being a bit drunk lowers people's anxiety about speaking a foreign language making them more bold in speaking it and thus making them more fluent (albeit maybe less correct).

I have no clue whether that happens or not but I don't know how you can be so sure it doesn't.

>> No.572933

>>572921

No, my theory is that I don't worry about it so much when I am a bit drunk. When I start speaking sober, I get tangled up in the grammar and such and end up getting frustrated if I hit a spot I can't get through. When I'm drunk I just say it, and tend to get it right since I'm not THINKING about all the mistakes I could make.

>> No.572945

>>572929
It does make you more fluent indeed, but I am certain it does make it also less correct.
In fact, i gotta differentiate a bit. A certain amount of alcohol looses you up while hardly impending your ability to articulate. In that state, you talk more freely while still having the best grasp you might have had anyway based on your level of skill in that language. this would be the ideal. after that it goes down pretty steep. staying intentionally on this "plateau" would be pretty difficult, though.

I am pretty sure about this not only because I learned verious different languages but because I have occupied myself a lot with the effect alcohol has on the brain.
i don't just mean I drink a lot (which I do), but I have read a lot of scientific studies and books on this.

>> No.572951

>>572945

I just know this- when I am drunk, conversation with my boyfriend and my best friend, both of whom are native speakers, is a lot more simple. Same is true for our friend Stephanie, who speaks much more easily when a bit sloshed.

>> No.572954

>>572945
I am presenting another piece of evidence for that:
look at the many mistakes I made in that post. Thats because I have been drinking for a while today. I type away like a motherfucker, but I make mistakes all over the place.

>> No.572971

>>572945
>>572954

I think we basically agree then.

Being a bit drunk will hurt your grammar/spelling but make conversation much easier. So it helps in one sense and harms in another.

>> No.572976

>>572338

HEY HAVE YOU READ NIGHTLIGHT? SUCH A GOOD BOOK LOLZ.

>> No.572977

>>572951
since you are drinking as well, you are also getting more indifferent to other peoples mistakes.

But it is a scientific fact that a certain amount of alcohol in your blood extremely affect your ability to use language correctly. First it is just the articulation because the alcohol affects your motorics (slightly slurred speech). After that it directly restrains the part of your brain responsible for language. your vocabulary decreases significantly, your ability to form sentences gets heavily impaired as well.

>> No.572988

>>572977

I seriously doubt the native speakers - who are sober- are making any mistakes.

>> No.572989

>>572977

Hmm I'm semi-familiar with the research on this (by that I mean I've read some bullshit on wikipedia at some point) but it seems like in my personal experience (and that of others) low amounts of alcohol actually facilitate conversation, words seem to come to mind more easily, etc. At higher amounts yeah you're fucked but being a little bit buzzed (say ~2-3 beers for someone of average tolerance) seems to help.

Maybe it's just an illusion of confidence brought about by the alcohol, though.

>> No.572990

>>572971
yupp.

i might have been a bit overzealous about making the point that being drunk does not make you speak foreign languages better, because I hear that about every weekend. And most often in a way thats hardly intelligible any more, no matter if its the first, second, third or whatever language that person speaks in.

>> No.572994

>>572988
you got all right to doubt that, because that is not what I meant.

>> No.572995

I really don't recall meeting many people at all who dislike books. Just about everyone I know even moderately well is an active reader. In fact, the only people I've met who actively disparage reading are people from Hawaii and my 20th Century British Fiction course.

I agree somewhat on the "out-loud" reading, many people are not great at reading aloud, but I don't think that reflects poorly on their comprehension. I can read faster than I speak and thus sometimes trip on my words, which one teacher said was "because your mouth moves faster than your brain." Thanks, bro.

>> No.573010

>>572989
as I said, alcohol in low amounts and for a certain time has (or better, can have) a stimulating effect because it acts as an inhibitor (is that an english word, btw?) without impairing the brain too much. thats why alcohol is often found as part of social rituals throughout history and all over the world.

>> No.573014

>>572995
> In fact, the only people I've met who actively disparage reading are people from Hawaii and my 20th Century British Fiction course.

brofist!

>> No.573037

I read on the bus, and I read in the KFC nearest the bookstore if it's a really good book and I'm hungry - I've gotten to the point where I can eat a whole KFC with one hand and hold and turn the pages of whichever book I'm reading with the other, flawlessly - but I don't really notice if people are staring at me reading because I'm too busy reading.

>> No.573044

>>573037
What the fuck? You are me. I, too, read books on the bus. I, too, can read a book while eating a piece of fried chicken without pause.

>> No.573064

>>572774
I might be transferring to a college in Knoxville... Oh shit.

>> No.573066

>>573044
wow... then you guys are a lot of people.

thats nothing special.

and no wonder you don't know how many people can do that. rightfully so, because you are busy reading.

>> No.573068

>>571863
>>571861
aren't you guys very defensive? Granted I got into the same situation, but I always just tell them that I enjoy reading. Besides whats wrong with asking?

>> No.573074

Why didn't OP give the girl some damn books? I've only got about half of the books I've purchased accounted for, the rest I've loaned to friends and acquaintances.

>> No.573075
File: 79 KB, 560x444, 1253759295668.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>573066

>> No.573082

>>573074

She wouldn't accept them. I offered them to her, she just said 'I'm fine with Twilight.'

She refuses to debate as well. She just won't, she's an 'agree to disagree' type person, but won't even debate a bit beforehand. Funnily enough, she's a devout Christian. I thought this made her 'feeling safe reading the same crap' comment particularly hilarious.

>> No.573083

Uh.
This girl in my class was reading East of Eden and told me while I were talking to her "I read classics but you read like..." and then she did the trollface.
Fuck, I raged so hard.

>> No.573084

>>573082
Ah well if she's really obstinate about trying new things then I suppose there's nothing you can do. Glad you tried though, I am confused when people don't share books.

>> No.573087

>>573084
I really don't dare to give other people book tips... Because I'm fucking 16 and most people in my class are rather retarded when it comes to books.

Oh, I'm such an elitist.

>> No.573088
File: 62 KB, 480x640, 1271049433521.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.573090

>>573084

Yeah, me and a friend of mine practically share our bookshelves. I'll lend my books to anyone I trust as long as I haven't lent them something before and they've messed the book up.

Once, when I was into WoT, I lent a friend the first one, and it came back in such a mess, I was mad. Dog eared, massive white fold lines across the cover...eugh.

>> No.573095

>>572379
elitism isnt about what you read, its about how you treat others who doesnt read the same things and consider them beneath you. So yeah your an elitist

>> No.573096

>>573087
underageb&

>> No.573098

I fucking rage when stupid twats think that every piece of literature needs to be discussed. The fact that your entertainment came on paper, with hard things like letters, and words consisting of them, does not mean that it's the event of the century. Everything does not need to be interpreted either. You do that enough, and you'll always end up with Jesus or some other stupid shit.

You read a book. GET OVER IT. Now go read more, and leave me to read privately.

>> No.573102

>>573095
Ew.
>your
>not you're
Well, I just hope you're not from an english talking country

>> No.573103

>>573096
You don't fucking say?

>> No.573106

>>573103
reported

>> No.573109

>>572104
exactly what i was thinking

>> No.573116

>>573098
well said!

but now I am asking myself: why are you even on lit?

>> No.573132

>>573116
I check /lit/ few times a day for names of novels. I then check out said novels. Every now and then, I find something new and awesome.

Also, I do rather like trolling.

>> No.573142

>>573087

Reported. This board has enough arrogant 16-year-olds thank you very much.

>> No.573152

>>573142
It's ok, I usually just lurk around so you won't really find me here that often.
And the only problem I have with my class is that they hate books.

>> No.573163

>>573152
and the only problem 4chan has with you is that you are underage.

>> No.573165

>>571709

that makes me rage so hard.
I fucking love that man and all his work. I feel like a mother bird toward him.

>> No.573171

>>573163
Indeed, the funny thing is that they don't say anything if I don't mention my age.
No, they do never say anything like "OP confirmed for underage" or anything like that.
I find it quite hilarious when I see the shitstorms that I can start just because I mention my age.

>> No.573172

>>573102
hahaha just goes to show mate, what kind of person you are

>> No.573182

My english teacher (english is 1st foreign language to me) once (5th grade or something... most have been 11 or something) brought along books for our class to read. 2 boxes, each filled with 2 different books and 6 copies of each book.
So each student - or whatever - got one book each.

I couldn't get the book I liked, but remained cool about it and said "O.K sure thing I can read a different book and wait 'till there is one available."

Now, these books can not have been more than 100 pages each at most, so by the end of the first period and I am done, goes up ask if there is one available yet, the teacher goes:

"Wut? Haven't you read in lesson!"
"Oh yeah sure I did, but I am done now!"

She tells me to get another one and sure I get another one, halfway through next lesson and I am done with that, goes onto another one.

After the two first boxes she brought two more so in total 8 different books.

I managed to read through half of them before the one I wanted to read from the beginning was available and then finished that and finished the remaining three duing a timespan of maybe... 2 weeks (we had other subjects too) and I'd only read in class while the others would read outside class too.

I managed to read all 8 books, the closest up rival was 6 books, average was 2 books and one person had only gone through half a book - give him some credit though, he hardly understood any english and the guy was illiterate/word-blind he couldn't read.

Not rage inducing but pretty lulz for me.

Story one, I'll post story 2 in a second.

>> No.573184

>>572089

Br?
HUEHUEHUE

>> No.573191

Back in high school each student had to read 15-20 books a year to graduate. By the end of the year I've read 30-40 while everyone else hasn't even started. The school then allows them to put down magazines they've read. So while I read probably move than 12,000 pages, they've probably only read 300. Also I was reading A Clash of Kings while I was visiting family back east and my 6 year old niece remarks that it is a large book, which is cute. Then my 18 year old cousin says the same thing, which is not cute.

>> No.573193

>>573171
so what, nothing to be proud of... its just generally assumed that infants are easily trolled when they are discriminated against because of some arbitrary age-margin.
you are hardly the first or the only one to visit this site without being of legal age and I am almost 30 and have been called underage around here (mostly on /b/ whenever I posted something that was not completely batshit crazy, lacked profanity or displayed compassion for others)

>> No.573203

>>573193
I don't really have an answer to that... I'm just a little sad that you thought that I were proud over that.

>>573191
Well... Bigger books != better books.

>> No.573221

>>573191

ACoK *is* a big book, regardless of whether you are illiterate or Harold Bloom.

>> No.573230
File: 20 KB, 321x267, coolface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I was in 10th grade my english teacher would have us read 6 books a semester and any amount of that we would get extra credit in the class. I did about 40% of the classwork he assigned us, but due to reading so many books he had to give me a B+. The other students didn't like that, but who cares. My face.

>> No.573235

>>573182
Story two.
Not english class but my mothertongue class.

Grade 1 - or 2? Been 7-9 years old.
Teacher asks us to go to the school liberary and grap books to read, finish and write a review about.
All the class graps these tiny little reading exercise books, hardly more than 50 pages.
I go to the bigger section and grap a 200-300 page "monster" intended for 5th grade students.
The teacher looks at me surprised but let me go through with it.

I finish the book at the same pace as the others, write my review and everything.

My mom had the lulz here, I didn't get what was so brilliant. Then the teachers figured out that the book I sat in breaks reading while most other people played Pokémon was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, she - the teacher - relays it onto my mother who then tells me that the teacher told her that it was intended for 14 year olds.

To this date (11 years or more later - I am 18 now) I still can't see why the book was intended for kids who is 14, I thought it was good for kids who where 9-12 or something.

I finished the whole Harry Potter series when J.K Rowling finally got her ass together and wrote it.
Then moved onto Phillip Pullman, and futher onto "The Shamer Series" ending with the "Bartholomæus Triology".
Then I got onto Band of Brothers in english and began reading adult books around age 13 and 14 reading Nineteen-Eighty-Four, Lord of The Flies and other books.

Now I am at a halt, there is no books that I can relate to but mostly because they are unavailable even as ebooks in my area.

I borrowed Twilight from a friend because I wanted validt arguements for why I hated it and I hate it more now than before I started reading it.
I am stuck in the middle of Eclipse because there is no goddamn story.

Feels bad. All this great run to end here.

>> No.573239

>>573221
Its not that big of a book. I read A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings in less than a week. Though I may have read much quicker since there wasn't anything to do. I tried reading A Storm of Swords on the flight back. That was 2 months ago and I'm up to page 188.

>> No.573249

Just a heads up, it's "grab" not "grap".

>> No.573252

>>573239

I read all four in less than 9 days, cool story. But they're not short. In my experience books are ~250-500 pages, 1000 pages is a lot.

>> No.573265

>>573249
Note taken, I won't come up with a bullshit apology for this one. I just didn't know any better.

>> No.573279

My parents got me an e-reader for my birthday.

>> No.573296

>>571747
Yep. Last time I was by she was reading an Anne Rice collection.

>> No.573302

>>573088
irl rage.

>> No.573313

>>573235
Read books in English, and you'll never run out of ebooks. It's what I started doing after I'd exhausted my supply of easily (and fast) attainable books for my language.

>> No.573384

>>572835
>For example: there was a coal-ash spill near here, one which is easily being called the greatest ecological disaster since Exxon-Valdez, and is bigger than that one could have dreamt of being. However, most people around here don't even know the full story or the full possible impact on the region this will have, because of their lack of education and the information given. I was in Germany with my boyfriend's family when it happened, and it made international news there. It barely made page 8 of the Knoxville News Sentinel here.

If anything, I find the people in Knoxville to have a lot of common sense, but have a very distinct "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. I do think you're overexaggerating the importance of the spill, though.

Given their location in the middle of a valley surrounded by wilderness, it's to be expected. Of course, I don't go outside much anymore, so maybe people are a little different from what I remember.

>> No.573395

>>573313
>Read books in English, and you'll never run out of ebooks.

Actually I seem to find German versions of damn near every book I go looking for. Sometimes I find the German version but no English one. Seems the German ebook scene is hopping. Unfortunately while I do read some German it's not nearly good enough to subject myself to reading whole novels.

>> No.573446

>>573384
I really don't think I am exaggerating it. Were I at my computer, I have papers showing the effect all of that could have on East Tenn.'s environment in the future, and it is not pretty. The human effects could be grotesque, and the sheer amount of the sludge alone hinders cleanup. Not to mention that what they do clean up gets shipped to a poor black town in either Alabama or Mississippi. It is just big coal once again screwing over poor people without a voice in the name of profit.

>> No.573462

>>573395

only way to improve

>> No.573471

I have a book called 'The Monster Book of Zombies' and was reading it during some downtime at work the other day. A co-worker (who is a bookfag like myself) asked me what the book was about. I told him it was funny stories about kittens.

After discussing the book some he asked me 'Why did you get a book with nothing but zombie stories?'

"Zombies are my favorite monsters."

'Zombies are stupid, slow, and weak. Vampires are a lot more awesome. You should read Twilight.' (note - he was totally serious)

This caused me to rage pretty badly internally, but I kept it down because I gotta work with the guy after all.

I wish I could have kicked him in the dick though.

>> No.573560

>>573235
>>573182

fuck you, this is a thread about rage moments, so you shoulden't put up a wall of text that gets people intrested and then tell a story about how you're a good reader. do you really think anybody cares that you read harry potter in 1st grade? also if you're actually 18 then harry potter woulden't of been out by the time you were in 1st grade, so either your an underage b& or you actually read them a couple years later than you said you did

anyways that's what made me rage

>> No.573581

>>573560
indeed, he is a cockfag. May dogs defile the graves of his ancestors, and wolves eat him slowly.

>> No.573778

Girls in my English class who could not read aloud properly.

One of them also though Gordon Ramsay was the PM.

>> No.573793

>>573778
yes she told me that in bed too

>> No.573838

I'm a teacher's aide, and the kids were reading The Things They Carried. She had the room divided into two sides, and the kids would go to either side depending on their opinion. One of her prompts was, "Does the authenticity of the story effect the intensity of it's moral?" Most of the students, spare a handful, said it did. To quote one, "If it's not real, it doesn't matter. He didn't even go to war. How can you talk about war when you haven't been there?" One of the students on the opposing side rebutted, "How can you write about a vampire when you haven't been one?" All the girls on the other side squealed in distaste. It was mind boggling.

>> No.573849

>>573838

Which is the mind-boggler? The first kid had a legitimate argument, the second was dumb.

>> No.573859

>>573849
How upset the girls got. It was like he stabbed their integrity. I suppose I could've focused more on that. The lot of them rose from their chairs and . . . hissed. I don't know why anyone would be so upset over literature.

>> No.573864

>>573838

I know it's off point, but O'Brien did fight in the Vietnam War.

>> No.573869

>>573859
>I don't know why anyone would be so upset over literature.
>so upset over literature
>literature
>vampire

>> No.573882

>>573869

>greentexting
>stop
>doing
>it
>faggot

>> No.573885

>>573864
The teacher mentioned that after the argument. The kids claimed it made the story more "enriching."

>>573869
Bad literature, good literature, it's still literature.

>> No.573892

>>573885

lulz

>> No.573914
File: 4 KB, 300x300, 1270201396509.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>573088

9000/10... I think my cerebellum just exploded.

>> No.573936

>>573914

It was a course for criticism. Old pic is old.

>> No.573970

>>573936
>>573914

"In this course, we will identify some of literary fiction’s defining characteristics, including its uses of narrative voices to tell stories, its manipulation of time to depict its subjects, and its emphasis on characters’ familial, sociopolitical, and erotic relationships. While we read and discuss some important, influential narratives about the supernatural – Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw, and Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight as well a few minor works – we will also explore how these texts, like much other fiction, try to create particular reading experiences, as they push us to consider the nature and importance of literary imagination and the way fiction’s seductiveness is tied to other potentially dangerous attractions. We will also cover some of English fiction’s history, which will allow us to consider the relationship between fiction and other imaginative forms, including poetry, television, and film, and fiction’s transformation from (around 1800) a low and somewhat marginal literary form to (today) our culture’s dominant literary mode. Finally, we will define some principles and strategies for writing critically about fiction."

>> No.573988

>>572057
DS batteries are god-tier

>> No.574039

>>573970

Someone get this cuntmuffin failure of a teacher fired for incompetence.

>> No.574094 [DELETED] 

>>572576
>Anybody who still cites To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, or Night as being one of the most life-changing books they've read with a serious and dire look on their face. Or lists one of them in their top ten books on public profiles. Easiest way to tell when someone stopped reading after high school.

You betray yourself. When you assume that someone could only list books they read in high school, such as "The Stranger" or "Catcher in the Rye", as their favorites if they haven't read anything since, you're indirectly acknowledging that you consciously chooses your favorites. If they had actually picked up a book since high school, you rationalize, they would have a more obscure book as one of their favorites. Wrong! You're projecting. That may be the case some of the time -- hell, it may even be the case a lot of the time -- but that you are unable to entertain the possibility that someone genuinely likes the books they've listed as their favorites shows that you haven't matured since high school. The easiest way to tell if someone has stopped growing since high school is if they're still unable conceive of a person whose motivations aren't their own.

>> No.574100 [DELETED] 

>>572576
>Anybody who still cites To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, or Night as being one of the most life-changing books they've read with a serious and dire look on their face. Or lists one of them in their top ten books on public profiles. Easiest way to tell when someone stopped reading after high school.

You betray yourself. When you assume that someone could only list books they read in high school, such as "The Stranger" or "Catcher in the Rye", as their favorites if they haven't read anything since, you're indirectly acknowledging that you consciously choose your favorites. If they had actually picked up a book since high school, you rationalize, they would have a more obscure book as one of their favorites. Wrong! You're projecting. That may be the case some of the time -- hell, it may even be the case a lot of the time -- but that you are unable to entertain the possibility that someone genuinely likes the books they've listed as their favorites shows that you haven't matured since high school. The easiest way to tell if someone has stopped growing since high school is if they're still unable conceive of a person whose motivations aren't their own.

>> No.574102

It was sort of rage-inducing to be in a "contemporary lit" class in high school where only half the class read anything. It was worse to be put into groups to discuss the books only to find out that nobody in your group had read the assigned chapters. But I'm sure that's happened to everybody here.

I've also met people who don't read fiction because it's made up, but then are obsessed with TV shows like lost. They're not bad people but it seems like they just want an excuse for the fact that they don't like reading.

>> No.574105

>>574102
People are lazy. Words make their heads hurt and they don't want to visualize. People will justify not reading in any way they can. Enh. Who cares? Let them be stupid.

>> No.574108

>>574102
MOTHERFUCKING RAGE

nonfiction is just fiction with references based on actual events.

>> No.574113

>>572576

You betray yourself. When you assume that someone could only list books they read in high school, such as "The Stranger" or "Catcher in the Rye", as their favorites if they haven't read anything since, you're indirectly acknowledging that you consciously choose your favorites. If they had actually picked up a book since high school, you rationalize, they would have a more obscure book as one of their favorites. Wrong! You're projecting. That may be the case some of the time -- hell, it may even be the case a lot of the time -- but that you are unable to entertain the possibility that someone genuinely likes the books they've listed as their favorites shows that you haven't matured since high school.

>> No.574150

>>573970
do you go to school in Chicago? i swear i've seen that book shelf before...

>> No.574151

I was in the 9th grade, and we had just gotten to the Scarlet Letter for some reason. We read the first fucking page and the teacher proceeds to asks one of the dumb ass Mexitrash kids what just transpired. He couldn't answer. She asked another kid, a redneck. Didn't know shit. Went down the fucking line until she called on me. I explained the overwhelmingly simple page and was shot death stares from the entire class.

Fuck you for being illiterate.

>> No.574159

>>574151

With an attitude like that, I'm not surprised.

>> No.574164

One of the textbooks for an investment class I was in was called "A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing."
We're supposed to read it and compare/contrast it to our bulky, theoretical textbooks (that aren't mass market paperbacks) for a number of reasons.

One day I was reading this outside, and a friend of mine (a literary major, mind you) came up and asked what I was reading. I read the title word for word and she said "That sounds interesting, what's it about?"

>> No.574165
File: 25 KB, 240x360, benjamin-sm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>572672
Well I'd say thats fair enouh. WB Yeats used to read pulp Westerns (Zane Grey etc.) to get his head showered.
>>573235
Theres no shame on giving up on a bad book. Just put Eclipse down or skim to the end, then read some hard critical theory or something old and difficult to cleanse the palatte, I'd reccomend some Walter Benjamin.

>> No.574171

>>574159

I wasn't going to pretend to not understand a book that was well within a 3rd grader's understanding.

>> No.574234

>>574159
you mentioned being in hawaii, did you go to high school there?

You sound a lot like a friend i know.

>> No.574247

I'm taking a fiction workshop as a fluff class in college. When we bring in our stories the teacher has us read what he think is an important class. The people who can barely read the stories THEY WROTE. Why is it taking you an hour to read the paragraph you wrote! What the fuck!

>> No.574262

>>574171
>I explained the overwhelmingly simple page and was shot death stares from the entire class.

If you're going to condescend, I'd expect that sort of reaction. It costs nothing to put up a friendly facade, whether or not it's legitimate, and will likely save you the ire of your classmates.

>>574234
I've never been, but my experience with people from there has led me to that opinion. It's just that the most unintelligent and most ignorant people I have ever met are from Hawaii.

>> No.574274

>>574262

just about everywhere ive lived, people have seemed ignorant and unintelligent

But its probably because im a pretentious douche and haven't realized it yet.