[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 595 KB, 1025x1500, A1pFGKJKOwL._SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5708216 No.5708216 [Reply] [Original]

What is your favourite children's book?

Mine is pic related. A german children's book called "The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear".

It's a really nice read, if I had to compare it to anything it would be the novels of Douglas Adams. Although it is not science fiction but rather a classic fairy tale and the flow is in fact much better. It has some really gorgeous illustrations too.

>> No.5708229

The Hobbit is a nice children's book, for what it's worth.

>> No.5709941

>>5708216

I love this book.

the whole sea adventure with weird creatures reminds me of One Piece

Also, The Neverending Story.

>> No.5709977
File: 23 KB, 275x400, seagull-and-cat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5708216
It has funny talking cats and a seagull. It probably is the very first book i read without help.

>> No.5709979

>>5708216
That book is amazing.

I've only read it once years ago as a kid, but I always remembered it. There is no other chidren's novel like it. The world building is fantastic.

From what I understand it was originally aimed at adults, but decided to change it to a children's book due to something called "Captain Bluebear" sounding a bit too much like something for 2 year olds.

>> No.5709981

>>5709979
>"Captain Bluebear" sounding a bit too much like something for 2 year olds
i wonder why captain america doesn't...

>> No.5709985

>>5708216
Zamonien official ranking
1. Rumo (best combination of humour, narrative and world buidling
2. 13 1/2 Leben (my favourite, but admitedly not as good IMHO from a literary standpoint, though still very, very good)
3. Ensel & Krete (BRUMMLIBRUMMLIBRUMMLI)
4. Stadt der Träumenden Bücher (I love stories which are about the creation of stories)
5. Der Schrecksenmeister (the witch and the schuhu were unnecesarry, but loved the detailed description of the food.)

Best chapter he ever wrote is life 12: Atlantis. More than 50% pure world building and you just don't get bored of it. Then the plot comes back and at you don't even realize you left it and it is glorious.

Also have you read Wilde Reise durch die Nacht?

>> No.5709987

>>5708216
This book is so damn good.

>> No.5710179

>>5709985
Is Atlantis the big capital city he goes to in the end? Where he has that Made-up-story-Contest? It has been quite a few years since I've read it.

That stuff in the city was just too good; that insane history, all those facts about the city, its inhabitants, the races, groups, buildings, events, atmosphere. I remember there was some conspiracy thing or something and I think that chapter is when Rumo is introduced.

I don't know much about Fantasy books -- or fantasy in general aside from Magical Realism -- but that chapter was by far the best piece of fantasy I've ever read.

>> No.5710200

>>5708216
I actually haven't read any of the others posted in this thread - yet - but, The Thirteen Clocks
That dialogue.

>> No.5710237

>>5709979
>From what I understand it was originally aimed at adults, but decided to change it to a children's book due to something called "Captain Bluebear" sounding a bit too much like something for 2 year olds.

It was first a show for kids on TV, in which the adult Captain teaches kids about stuff, a lot like Calvin's dad. Here he talks about how old movies are in black and white because the world was black and white, with 590 variants of gray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKuYVArhk8U