[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 307 KB, 700x1096, writers block.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5680691 No.5680691 [Reply] [Original]

LAST THREAD >>5670970

So how's about another National Novel Writing Month support thread?

>hows that plotline coming along anon?
>are you learning anything about writing?
>what's your word count?

these are just some questions you can answer.

>> No.5680717

>>5680691
2k words amicoolyet

>> No.5680740

>>5680717
yes.

>> No.5680782
File: 46 KB, 450x600, tumblr_mz5d2dgTj11s5lg4ho1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why didn't I decide to write a paranormal romance novel. I'd probably have 20k by now.

>> No.5680874

>>5680691

200 words. I'm trying to be a pretentious asshole and play with the way Marquez started off his chapters in Autumn of the Patriarch and gradually devolved into a free flow of run-on sentences, but in reverse, in the context of a cyberpunk city and some conflict I haven't thought up yet.

I dunno if I'm cut out for this writing thing

>> No.5680957

>>5680691
i kinda gave up after one and a half day writing.
have about 2k words, but have kind of worked me into a dead end, plot wise.
Will drink a lot of wine and maybe continue today
which my liver luck

>> No.5680967

I need a name guys. What would you call a business catering to the extremely poor to let them jack into virtual reality, packing them into mausoleum esque coffins in the wall to maximize space. Extreme cyberpunk please.

>> No.5680981

>>5680967
>Extreme cyberpunk please

>> No.5680985

>>5680874
>I'm trying to be a pretentious asshole

>> No.5680989

>>5680967
I am not this guy >>5680874
so fuck off >>5680985

>> No.5680995

5500 words. Haven't started on today's section yet. I don't like the plot but this is about words on paper.

I am learning to give myself time. I realize how much more I could have said about a character or a setting. A few sentences might not be enough. There is no hurry. 50k words is plenty of space.

>> No.5680996

>>5680967
Utopia.

>> No.5681014

>>5680967
TridPlex. Or have a look at Shadowrun slang and get some ideas from there.

>> No.5681015

A dude I know tweeted all about his nanowrimo plans in October, asked for book recommendations on facebook because he needed to research and overall he was acting like he deserved praise just because he said he's doing it.
He wrote 2k words and hasn't written anything for two days now.

I recruited a couple of friends to do it with me on 31st, we all have over 5k words now, one person is two days ahead in terms of word count. I have a feeling that writing would be 3x harder if we announced that we're participating all over the social media.

>> No.5681021

This is the worst forced meme in 4chan history.

>> No.5681428

>>5681021
you don't really know what a meme is, do you?

I'm at 17800. Just came back from a writing group. It was filled with people talking loud and not writing. Fucking plebs All of them were writing "Urban fantasy"

>> No.5681893

>>5681428
>17800
jesus christ, do you just not have a life or something? It's been 4 days!

>> No.5681898

>>5681893
actually i didn't start until sunday night
and no, i have no life

>> No.5681920

>>5680967
InBox.

As in, "Getting off work today and going to my InBox."

Damn, I'm good.

>> No.5681929

>>5681893
17000 words over 4 days is barely more than 4k a day. That's maybe four hours of writing a day. It's not that hard.

>> No.5681962
File: 2.00 MB, 400x241, tumblr_mqg045piLA1qmsp9ko1_400.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not writing in English
>people posting about writing 1000 words/h or more
>set a timer
>manage to write 800 words
hmmm
>take the first two sentences of my "novel"
>translate them to English
>original word count: 20 words
>English word count: 31 words
fucking a/an/the
fuck you
fucking English
fuck

>> No.5681988

>>5681929
>That's maybe four hours of writing a day. It's not that hard.
I beg to differ, if you're an amateur with a social life (that wasn't a dig at anyone) you will undoubtedly struggle to fit four hours per day into your work.

>> No.5682053

>>5681988
I've done it during years where I had both a social life and a thirty-hour-a-week job. Finding an hour four times a day isn't hard. No excuses. 50k or die.

>> No.5682315

>>5680691
So far I've knocked out my first chapter and I'm starting the second. I think the plot is starting to form like a thin film on the surface.

I've learned to just have fun and be myself.

I have 2,797 words.

>> No.5682340

>>5680691
Plot is half formed and developing itself as I write.
I'm learning I am awful at writing at anything other than a crawling pace.
>what's your word count?
I'm just under 600 words at the moment, but I only started last night.

>> No.5682365

>>5681428
>Fucking plebs All of them were writing "Urban fantasy"

Lol, what does this involve?

>> No.5683093

>>5682365
>Urban fantasy
>fantasy in urbam regions
It's basically true blood, twilight, Vampire diaries, teen wolf etc

>> No.5683126

>>5682365
>>5683093

is The Master and Margarita urban fantasy?

>> No.5683133

1,000 words an hour is a ridiculous rate tbh. I did one of those word sprints, came up with 210 words for ten minutes, and though it read okay, deleted the most of it almost straight after (besides a small little bit which fit perfectly - frantically written franticness). Nobody's writing a decent novel/novella in 50 hours.

>> No.5683155

>>5683126
I haven't read it. It's on my bookshelf, literally just a few feet from where I am sitting now.
Is it about magicians, werewolves and other fairycreatures living amongst humans in cities? Beucase I have read a bunch of synopsises of their works so far, and my god are they all the same garbage

>> No.5683171

>>5683126
Yeah, basically, though some /lit/erati might shudder at the thought. There might be some definition of "fantasy" that doesn't count the use of Judeo-Christian mythology, but M&M is basically a well-written, satirical urban fantasy novel.

>> No.5683198

>>5683171
>well-written, satirical urban fantasy nove
>well-written
there wont be a single one of those coming out of the writers where i'm from, that's for sure.

>> No.5683213

>>5683198
It was written around 1930, which is part of the reason I kinda hesitate to call it "urban fantasy". The Devil visits Moscow, dragging along with him a small group of demons, and chaos and satire ensues.

>> No.5683247

>>5680874

That sounds actually interesting. Post

>> No.5683528

>>5683198
Just hit 19k. Do I push on for 20k or do i go to sleep? It's 2am and i have class at 10am

>> No.5683716

>>5681988
Not him but I'm working about 50 hours a week between two jobs, I'm in the middle of moving, and I still see my friends regularly and I can still find time to write. Maybe not four hours a day but man, 4000 words in 2 hours is still pretty fucking reasonable.

>7 hours of sleep
>9 hours working
>4 hours of doing whatever the fuck
>4 hours left to write roughly

>> No.5683733

>>5683528
Sleep, first week ain't even over yet. You'll have time to finish 50k, add another 150k, then edit into your second draft at the rate you're going.

>> No.5683754

>>5683733
But I'm going to amsterdam om thursday, and I have finals coming up soon. i need to write as much as possible before that

>> No.5683767

>>5683754
Well if you're going to be up posting on 4chan any ways, go ahead and hit that 20k.

>> No.5684501

thump

>> No.5684507

>>5684501
Word count or GTFO

>> No.5684925

Bleh, only have ~3600 words so far. I like parts of what I've written so far but I need to step up my game.

>> No.5685065

I started and abandoned one idea and started another one. Which was stupid, but the first idea written out on paper looked way too fucking pretentious and completely terrible.

>> No.5685570

If you guys are still looking for inspiration, I browsed the plot forums for a couple of minutes yesterday and kept some cool ideas :

>A disaster (ebola/zombies/aliens) have wiped out most of humanity. And the main MC characters fight for survival. They team up. They find this top secret military building that is safe
>Losing perspective. Help me understand my plot please! I am weirdly tempted to use books of the old testament as chapter titles
>it's about a 20-something woman frustrated with her job, relationship etc. who, through traveling and giving herself freedom to make her own choices in life, slowly becomes stronger and more independent.
>Maybe a stray dog starts chasing them? Or a lot of dogs? Or there is a stray and then a puppy class and they are being chased by them all at once? That could be fun. :D
>A horror story set on the Titanic that features a couple and is narrated by the killer. Ends with a death.
>Twenty-something. Miserable after her fiance (also her first boyfriend) dumps her. Next morning, a goblin appears at the foot of her bed, looking curious and playful. He's her distraction.
>it's the equivalent of the ’60s in Urban Fantasy World. The race issues are mainly between werewolves and vampires (and humans?) rather than blacks and whites.
>MC is an immortal being who seeks out suicide victims, then tells their stories within newspaper articles
>This falcon is your MC.
>The world is the same the same as our reality. Earth, moon, Men, women, children, there's religion and stuff like that. But there is a major difference to it all. Instead of the majority of the population being heterosexual, what if the accepted relationships were homosexual?
>Somebody in the future realizes that all the 'colors' they see are just illusions. The government has actually stolen all the color from the world. So MC has to get it back.
>Your characters are fighting over badly made coffee and a Tooth Fairy intervenes, the Christmas Budding has taken over Santa's household and Easter Bunny becomes Goth over night.
>Your characters plan to steal 100k from their boss and leave for some exotic land, where they will offer the large sum of money to stop a wedding.
>Ashlyn Adams is perfect. She's a rich, uptown girl who's part-time job is an actress. Her home life is perfect - she has loving, supportive parents and a beautiful older sister. Surprisingly, she's also really nice and sweet. She's Ms. Popular. Everyone loves her. Arsen Hunter is the school's rebel.
>Vikings versus Vampires

>> No.5685578

>The twist? The aliens are us.

>MC is the Grim Reaper. On a random day, he meets a girl who he doesn't know how or when she will die and he becomes intrigued. She is actually an angel sent down to earth because it seems that a demon or some other villain seeks to stop death and thus destroying the natural order.

>My nightmare from last night : a fairy godmother and a healer who can see the hidden vitality or lack there of in anything alive, try to survive the zombie apocalypse.

>A deranged serial killer hunts down the cast of Survivor, but they each think it's a part of the new season.

>Everyone has a number over their heads. It can be either given to them or maybe they're born with it. This number indicates the number of insect kills they've done (not specifically insects, bugs in general like spiders, mosquitoes, flies, and other types of pests).

>The queen's daughter, Angel, was done being controlled, and finally ran away with her best friend (Raven) when she found out she was betrothed to him. The two ran away to train as Assassins left Angel's brother as the next ruler. Ten years later, the two return with new names as the new personal guards to the King and Queen. Angel is now Micaiah and is a stone-cold killer.

>MC is not white. MC is not cis-gendered. MC is not heterosexual. MC is not skinny/doesn't have curves 'in all the right places'/is not pretty/does not meet the beauty ideals of today's society.

>A benevolent ghost who moves objects and shuts and locks doors and such to protect their surviving family members from zombies.

>> No.5685580

>Sheryl was an ordinary teenage girl, who didn't really fit in anywhere and was lost in life. One day, she valiantly saved a young girl from being run over with a car, pushing him away and being ran over instead. Due to being an atheist, she was sent to hell. But since she was good, she was sent to the coolest part of hell, with non-stop disco parties, shopping malls

>MC's cousin comes for a visit after years and resurrects the MC's suppressed mind reading capabilities. With a villain on the loose trying to control all the mind readers' minds, it's up to the MC and his/her quirky, crazy best friend to stop it.

>A domestic comedy as witnessed by a cat who lives in a particularly zany household. Include hijinks and shenanigans. Perhaps the cat is secretly controlling everything behind the scenes?

>an office romance witnessed by a goose

>I was feeding my babygirl at night when this thought came to my mind : 'While nursing her newborn in the middle of the night, with all blinds closed and lights dimmed, the new mother was enjoying her beautiful baby. The only bright light in the room came from the baby monitor with camera, still pointed at the baby's crib. Absentminded the mother looks around and sees the image on the camera, there she is, her babygirl. Sleeping silently in her bed. Then who is the mother feeding in the middle of the night?'

>Houdini becomes a dangerous criminal but is impossible to keep locked up or restrained because of his skills as an escape artist

>In a world with love at first sight, two true loves see each other on passing trains. Now the mc goes on a search for his partner in a big city with only knowing what he/she looks like.

>MC and his wife are missionaries who have just arrived in a third-world country. They invite the local tribal chief and some other locals to visit their hut that evening for dinner and to bring big appetites. What Mr. and Ms. MC don't realize is the guests are cannibals.

There you go, you should now be set to write the perfect YA novel.

>> No.5685594

I don't know how many words I'm at. I have to work night shifts until god knows when and I have to sneak behind my boss's back using Wordpad on a computer running XP with all the security cameras on it.
Wordpad doesn't have a word counter for some fucking reason. Last time I had a chance to update my word count I was at 5286

>> No.5685763
File: 470 KB, 700x775, 1397130860593.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5685570
>>5685578
>>5685580
>kept some cool ideas
>generic apocalypse story
>generic shyamamalasman twist
>extremely silly sjw stuff
>fucking everything is supernatural
I honestly don't understand whether you're operating on some layer of irony far beyond me, or if you really think these are cool ideas.

>> No.5685790

>>5681962
Yes, but that is poor english.

I wrote 3000 words today. They are all crap, but I think I know why.

>> No.5685799

Why does this shit have to be in november? Every single november I'm swamped with exams and assignments.

:(

>> No.5685817

>>5685799
Southern hemisphere here, yeah, there's no way I could get into this.

>> No.5685838

i've been trying to do this for what maybe a decade and i finally think i got my shit together enough to be able to do it. before i was too scrambled and couldn't write someting interesting. now i think i have more experiences and i can be more relaxed in front of a word processor but... it doesn't make me good at writing. i think i will stick with a very detached, descriptive style and report what the characters are saying with as little input as i can when it comes at telling the reader what to think, except for the occasional unusual played down metaphor. the idea i have for this is sort of ambitious and i probably am not a big enough reader/lit crit stuff to distant in memory/usage so i don'T think i will be able to pull it off but i think i might be able to do some sort of embryonic thing that could be used as a base for a second try.
i want to talk about rural life of yong people who decide to change things up and create a culture of their own so it opens up a lot of sub-themes: how to do history, the role of criticism in cultural production, reactivating some sorts of philosophical living, creating your life as a work of art and the particular report with language all this stuff must have. and more. too ambitious 5 me but fuck it i am motivated, finally.

>> No.5685906
File: 6 KB, 225x225, No Stop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5685580
>Sheryl was an ordinary teenage girl, who didn't really fit in anywhere and was lost in life. One day, she valiantly saved a young girl from being run over with a car, pushing him away and being ran over instead. Due to being an atheist, she was sent to hell. But since she was good, she was sent to the coolest part of hell, with non-stop disco parties, shopping malls

>> No.5685927

I"m at 6285 words at the moment. I researched a true story before I started it, and its actually amazing seeing a story form out of the blueprint.

I'm definitely going to prepare a timeline, plot-outline, that mimics my research, for future works.

>> No.5686217

>>5680691
HOWS THAT WORD COUNT LOOKIN GUYS?

>> No.5686238

>>5686217
6,857 - been lazy today, but I'm gonna explode on that shit soon

>> No.5686240

>>5686217
1300 something. not that much. but i am trying to think of ways to get things done, get the creativity going. i started to take notes pretending i am giving an interview to some real tv show guy that plays here. it helps me to be on point and be clear about what i want to convey, without sounding too dumb. got to act cool!
but now i got to go to round 2 and pretend the book is over and he went over it and asks me uncomfortable questions about it, tries to mess with me or get me to explain stuff that is more complicated . anyone else have prepare with a little rpg sesh like this?

>> No.5686417

>>5685763
adopted :^)

>> No.5686421

>>5686217
9,127 so far. I only wrote 1000 words yesterday so I'm trying to maintain my lead as much as possible before I get swamped with work in a couple weeks.

My plot's starting to fray, but since I'm doing vignettes anyways it's probably time to move on to the next one.

>> No.5686426

>>5680967
Look for words that have been taken out of the dictionary and use one of those

>> No.5686458

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to /lit/ and want to write a book for the first time but it seems I'm about 5 days late for the start of this thing. Should I try jumping onboard? 5 days of writing behind kinda feels like a huge gimp. What happens after you submit your work to these guys anyways?

>> No.5686469

>>5686458
You don't submit it.
You do it for yourself man.
They're just there to encourage you and provide you with infos and motivation and shit.

>> No.5686498

>>5686469
Ah I can't believe I'm gonna do this, I have some serious catching up to do

>> No.5687022

7642, I need to catch up before midnight.

>> No.5687428

I haven't started because I'm a no-good piece of shit drunkard but I really wanna get started today or this weekend. But I have a question.
I want to put my setting in the marshland/moors of England but I'm a fat Burgerstani who doesn't really know too much about it (I suppose it doesn't have to be in England, but it needs to be in a marsh and American marshes just make me think of rednecks and terrible Scooby Doo episodes so I'd rather have it in England). If I use a little British lingo here and there can I pass it off? Or should I scrap the England idea and set it in America since I'm not an Allahbong?

>> No.5687512

>>5686217
10,761, but I started with ~7K and I'm trying to do ~700-1000 words a day, so I'm about on track even if this is not really what you're supposed to do or wahtever.

>> No.5687699

50K is too much, I think I'll settle for 30K, good enough for Orwell, good enough for me.

>> No.5688210

i started out writing your typical fantasy story with the plan of having ye chosen hero, and clashing armies with an overlying dark lord being the real threat.

but then i started reading moby dick and now i just want to write about sailing the vast oceans while broing it up with your awesome shipmates.
but i cant write that dense and dialogue makes me feel cheesy.

>ill probably just stick with all these ideas and just have multiple character viewpoints dealwithit
>i have no idea what im doing

any help on making text full and beautiful?
i cant just write about someones boots for 4 lines can i?

>> No.5688214

>>5688210

also!
any references to army/cavalry/sailing terms would be helpful!

>> No.5688246
File: 42 KB, 668x405, hur bird.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have 6 named characters, and twice as many (as of now) nameless workers/Seaman

How do you guys keep track of this sort of thing in a story? And is it a bad idea to continually switch between using first and last names when describing a characters actions?

>> No.5688391
File: 30 KB, 920x440, euggh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5686498
Still can't believe I'm doing this. My writing is so horrible I want to die but I'm still gonna write the whole thing, even if it kills me.

>> No.5688600

Mine's about a gay hebephile shut-in who takes in this runaway kid he wants to fuck. I don't know who would read this, and it's so hard to think of what comes next. There's not a lot to work with when it's just one character in a house. A lot of it's just me writing my terrible daily life experiences in an attempt for liberation and self-expression. I don't think I'll end up sharing it with anyone if I get it finished.

>> No.5688604

>>5686217

>>5687022
you don't need to catch up shit

>> No.5688634

>>5688600
You can alway write about his enlightenment when he decides to eat the child after having sex with it

>> No.5688636

>>5688634
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

I have a vague outline of the plot, but the problem is padding it out to reach the word goal.

>> No.5688639

>>5688634
8,500 - I haven't hit quota the last two days :(

>> No.5688652
File: 98 KB, 1137x662, that's not even a real language.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

2600 here. I'm slowly getting into it.

>> No.5688711

Threadly reminder not to buy into NaNo hype. Work at a qualitative pace, not quantitative.

>> No.5688721

>>5688711

Sure thing! That's how you got to be published and win all those awards, right?

NaNoWriMo is more of a holiday than anything else. It's stupid but it's something to do with writers and talk about and participate in the culture, it's not about producing anything good. Unless you're fucking casual, that is.

>> No.5689467

>>5687428
>terrible Scooby Doo episodes
I got this feeling too.
Were there that many Scooby Doo episodes happening in swamps, or was there just like one or two but so bad they seemed everywhere?

>> No.5690243
File: 921 KB, 1435x1077, this time the monsters are real!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5689467
There was that really, really, tone-shifted movie where the gang faced actual fucking risen dead. Sure to traumatize every child in America, including myself. If I remember right that was mostly swamp.
But that was my favorite one though.

>> No.5690575

>>5688604
Ok, I don't "need" to, but I'm doing this with a couple of friends and I don't want to fall behind. It turns out that none of us wants to be the one with the lowest word count and thanks to that nobody missed a day of writing yet.

>> No.5690593

6k words already.
I started in early October. Fuck this is hard.

>> No.5690616

I've haven't wrote anything serious before and Im slowly dying reading my horrible grammar as I try to force every paragraph. Just started yesterday so I have to 2000 words a day and I can barely manage 1000 without getting a headache. How do you guys get better or fix headaches?

>> No.5690625

Got about 2000 words down last night. Only stopped because it was 3 am and my eyes hurt.

Barely even in motion. Part of me think I'm taking too much time, but the other part of me realizes I'm only a fraction of the way in.
I did way too much self-editing in the early stages. Now I'm learning to not stop momentum.
>what's your word count?
little under 8000

>> No.5690661

>>5690243
AND IT'S TEEEERRRRRRRROOOOOOR TIME AGAIN

>> No.5690685

>>5690243
oh man the nostalgia. I never got traumatized form it though, I don't think I realized how terrifying being torn apart by zombies really is.

That's the one with the cat bitches, right?

>> No.5690686

>>5688214
>any references to army/cavalry/sailing terms would be helpful!

a good piece of reference material for early 19th century cavalry is The Light Dragoon: the memoir of Private George Farmer who dictated it as a pensioner to Rev. G.R Greig who was also a Napoleonic War veteran(he dropped out of Oxford, joined as an ensign in the light infantry and was wounded in the ill fated siege of New Orleans)

it contains a lot of info about the lives of cavalrymen in the Napoleonic Wars

>> No.5690692

Just over 9000 words. It's going pretty well but at the same time I have no idea what I'm doing. My protagonist is too passive. It feels like she's the main character in a crpg, she just talks to people and they tell her stories and to do this or that. Luckily, I've just discovered that she moved into the flat that belonged to a guy who's missing, so she's going to do some sloppy detective work and get in trouble.

>>5690616
Work in 30 minute chunks, drink a lot of water. Always prepare at least a couple of scenes before you start writing, just think about them during the day. Don't read what you've written, there's no point in making yourself miserable. You're going to rewrite 99% of it when you're done anyway. Just keep going.

>> No.5690716

>>5690692
Thanks man, gonna try and push through with the rest of today since my heads already messed up but gonna try that with tomorrow. Girlfriend keeps telling me I'm just being overly critical of myself and wanting to see it and I cant bear the thought

>> No.5690738

>>5690685
Yes, and it was great.
>>5690661
>implying that isn't in your music library

>> No.5690766

>>5690716
Oh for god's sake, no. The first draft is for the writer alone. Talk with her about what you're writing if she wants to, it might help you to get through some problems with the plot and the characters, but never share what you've actually written. Tell her it's just word vomit to get the idea down and that she'll get to read the second draft in January. And then the third. And then the eleventh, the one you'll send to the publisher.

>> No.5690781

>>5688246
I had cheated a little by making an loose outline of my novel in the same document as my novel. It has helped me win last year.

Plus I had managed to make my novel more organized.

>> No.5690788

>>5690766
Yeah I know, shes just rooting me on because shes always trying to make me feel better about myself. And its just so freaky writing out my first book and thinking far ahead to something like getting published

>> No.5690795

>>5688246
>switching between character's first and last names
Why would you?

>> No.5690840

>>5680782
I'm writing a paranormal romance novel and I'm only 5k words in. It's got a lot of mystery and vampire-elves with fedoras.

>> No.5690849
File: 17 KB, 211x355, notes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5688246
Make some notes? If you're using something like notepad or google docs, just create a new file.

I've got 11 named characters so far, but I try to use either the first or the last name, based on how the main character calls them, so it stays consistent. Sometimes I also call them "the technician", "the sheriff" etc.
So if a dude's name is John Smith and he's a good friend of the protagonist and he's a lawyer, I usually call him John or the lawyer. Some other character might call him Smith or "that asshole" in a dialogue, but it's always clear from the narration that he's talking about John.

>> No.5691049

guys my writing is so fucking good, i just had my MC and this super qt chick fall in love within 1000 words of meeting and it's the best thing ever. FUCK, i'm even in love with the super qt chick

>> No.5691122

>>5683133
You're not supposed to write a decent novel, you're supposed to put a month of work in and get a halfway workable frame for what the novel can be. Don't fret, mang.

>> No.5691188

>>5685570
>>5685578
>>5685580
The ideas of the immortal guy visiting suicide cases and the ghost protecting its family could be good ideas, but the rest of those are awful.

>> No.5691201

>>5691049
Good job guy. What happens next?

>> No.5691235

>>5690788
Is your book about a guy with a perfect, imaginary girlfriend that is also a teenager vampire that survived the zombie apocalypse by being independant and strong?

>> No.5691247

>tfw you reach 50,000 words and your story's not done yet but you have to stop anyway because 50,000

>> No.5691254

>>5691247
>tfw your book has three totally distinct parts
>tfw writing them simultaneously
>reaching 50,000 would leave every one of the three parts unfinished

>> No.5691306

>>5691235
Nah, I have an idea for a romantic comedy thats kinda a slapstick version of me and her but I went for a grungy apocalyptic thing instead. I wish chose to make something more generic, I'm having lots of problems.

>> No.5691378

>>5691201
he gets accused of murdering another chick the night before and they get separated while he fights the accusation/philosophises deeply and angrily about the world

>> No.5691855

>>5680691
>Beautifully so far, about to hit the rising action.
>I'm learning that it's difficult as hell to write when inspiration isn't striking me.
>12k

>> No.5691860

>>5691247
>>5691254
Just keep writing you gaylords

>> No.5693717

>>5680691
bunp

>> No.5693784

I'm trying to write the edgiest main character in existence. Have any ideas, /lit/? Haven't started writing today yet, but I hit 11k last night.

>> No.5693841
File: 117 KB, 555x374, 1378136945061.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5693784
Inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg
>tfw I keep trying to say video games are art
>tfw lose patrician points for defending games like Spec Ops and Bioshock
>tfw games like this come out
>tfw I have nothing to say anymore

>> No.5693847

>>5693784
He has to be a chronic smoker and care about nobody but himself with reasoning capabilities that only make sense to him

A good place to start would be the reveal trailer for the game "Hatred" it's so edgy you practically get on the corners just watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg

Make sure he's a nihilist, makes it really easy

>> No.5693852

>>5693847
>>5693841
Dang, hatred mind haha. It seriously is horrendously edgy though

>> No.5693865

>>5693841
Jesus fucking Christ. I'd and play it and probably enjoy it though

>> No.5693960

>>5693852
It is the go to for edge.
>It's like Postal! If you took all the slapstick, humor, and fun out and actually played it dead serious.
What I like is how the website is trying to make this some sort of enlightened commentary a la Spec Ops
>" It's a horror, but here YOU are the villain"
Then on literally the same page says.
>"These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure."
So it's developer stated goal is to offend everyone possible, give it no sort of appealing qualities, spit in the face of higher art, and pass it off as "Fun"
I've killed enough pedestrians in Saints Row 4 to qualify numbers of 'genocide crusades', but Saints Row 4 was mindless fun, but it was also entertaining and comedic, and did not go out of it's way to spitefuck the player.

>> No.5693978

>>5693841
So this game is basically Columbine Simulator 2014?

>> No.5693982

>>5693841

>using BioShock and Spec Ops as examples of video games as art

>> No.5693983

>>5693978
No that's this http://www.columbinegame.com/

>> No.5694766

I feel conflicted between liking the outline of my story and hating the actual execution right now, 300 more words for the day and Im in the clear

>> No.5695052

>>5693841
>>5693847
Thanks, /lit/. I'll try to do you proud.
I'd never share my novel with you guys on account of it being complete shit though

>> No.5695118

>>5695052
Dude we're all there, just have fun writing it, who cares.

>> No.5695146

>>5693841
>video games are art
Why are you so dumb? A medium doesn't define if the work made thorugh it is a work of art or not, taht's like saying that anything that you paint anywhere is art because Picasso, but you still have to paint your walls.

>> No.5695185

>>5695146
I agree, the problem is arguing that video games are an actual artistic medium.

>> No.5695211

>tfw not competent enough for a novel yet

I-I'll just try and write five short stories.

>> No.5696623

I've been wanting to write something based on my recurring dreams for a few years, but I feel that it would be far too edgy. Not surprisingly, the main character is also me, so I'd have to change the outward characteristics so I don't seem like an egotistical asshole who wants to do everything the main character does, even though I do.
I also get torn up about changing too many of the things that make me like it, just so I could tell others through writing. It feels like it should just stay in my head or that I should just take small parts of the entire idea and use each one individually.
Anyone else feel like this?

>> No.5696707

>>5680967
>the extremely poor can afford virtual reality 24/7
That's a stupid idea.
call it Can of Sardines

>> No.5696709

>>5681920
second this

>> No.5696714

You autists fail to realize that good art is never shat out by pushing extra-hard for a certain period of time. It comes on its own, not when it's beckoned.

>> No.5697158

>>5695211
Talking on the forums with these guys over at the site it doesn't sound like anyone is, do it for fun or just for yourself or whatever. Dont stress it so much

>>5696623
Kinda, but if it really bothers you that much maybe you can downplay it whenever you end up revising. Really I think any view is fine as long as you don't claim itas the 100% undeniable truth. Just adds flavor to your character

>>5696714
We all know that, it's just a neat little way to break into writing if you're new to it. It's hard to motivate yourself if you've never made a book before, it's daunting and you feel like you suck