[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 463 KB, 512x512, Lenna.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5664638 No.5664638 [Reply] [Original]

How much of literature, and the Western canon in particular, is compensating for the author's inadequacy, social or otherwise?

Not that I take the faggot seriously, but flipping through On Grammatology, Derrida equates his epistemology to a woman. By attempting to flaunt how much he doesn't care for the tradition, Derrida succumbs to the same try-hard aesthetic that he ostensibly derides. Actively working to overcome the tradition betrays how much Derrida actually cares about academic wank, thus we see only failure in his attempt to ground his philosophy in the negation.

I probably got on this strain of thought from reading too much Pessoa. In a supremely nihilistic sort of view espoused by some of his personas, any action completed is useless and imperfect. Feel free to hijack and write what your favorite poems of his are.

>> No.5664657

> "Derrida succumbs to the same try-hard aesthetic that he ostensibly derides"
>"derides"
>"Derrides"

>> No.5664667

>>5664638
How much of this post is you compensating for you own inadeqaucy, social or otherwise? Don't answer, it'll only make it worse.

>> No.5664670

Anything anybody does is, in the end, an attempt to compensate for the actor's inadequacy

That's why you shouldn't do anything so that you can appear adequate to the people around you

>> No.5664672

All those trains of thought are pretty much useless, and also kind of the worst variety of psychologism. We can't know how much of literature or the Western canon comes from compensation; we can make a million arguments as to the degree of any work which is compensation for inadequacy, and all will be precisely as plausible as the rest. And none of them would be at all useful for understanding the work.

>> No.5666600
File: 443 KB, 455x500, 1345912640136.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5664638
I know every single pixel on that image, including it's precise features like fractal dimension, the eigenvectors of it's neighborhood and both the single-channel and interchannel transition matrix. I can fap to her fourier transform and will recognize her in Wavelet and Laplace scalespace and I know whether a pixel in Hough-space is part of her eye or nostril.

>> No.5667038

>>5666600
>tfw no qt3.14159 partial differential gf to solve
>tfw engineers on /lit/

>> No.5667041

>>5666600
Did you write this yourself? It's beautiful.