[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 304x500, 0345370775.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
561391 No.561391 [Reply] [Original]

Good evening folks. I just mere moments ago finished this book. It was the first Michael Crichton book I have ever read and i myself was simply astounded by it. Im going to start "The Lost World tonight before i go to bed, and time line and prey are sure to follow soon after. Anyway what were your thought on this book, or on Crichton as a writer?

>> No.561394

he writes great movies, for sure!

a screenplay writer of the highest caliber.

literary greatness - i don't know... i think he translates better to the silver screen (without even much re-write, juno?)

>> No.561420

he's a good author. but i agree with
>>561394
much better work o the screen. Personally i got shit bored with prey

>> No.561429

read Prey.

>> No.561753

Didn't care for Prey but love his other stuff. Especially Sphere.

>> No.561778

>>561753

Sphere was the biggest piece of shit deus ex machina ever!

You best be trollin.

>> No.561798

I like Crichton a lot, although his books tend to be very similar as you read through his repertoire. Something I don't like is that he often kills a secondary character in the book, who has strong relations with the protagonists. I know you didn't ask for a recommendation but I had to give one out anyways ;) Prey.

Tl;dr: He's good, has some quirks. go read Prey.

>> No.561806

Read this and the sequel. I loved it up until they blew up the island. Felt really strange. But it was a good movie translation, some of the stuff they took out of the book they used in the sequels.

>> No.561831

I actually love Congo by him. It is fast paced and very entertaining, I highly recommend it.

>> No.561834

Man, no need to read his stuff, most screenplays are better adaptations of his shit than he himself could have ever been able to write.

>> No.561845

Crichton has always been one of my favorite writers. The Andromeda Strain, Sphere, Prey, Congo, Eaters of the Dead, and Airframe are his best, I think, in that order. His screenplays are amazing too. ER is probably one of the greatest shows to air.

I have Pirate Latitudes in my pile of books to read, has anyone read it yet?

>> No.561869

>>561831

I thought Congo was a good read too. I also recommend it.

>> No.562501

If you liked Park, try Andromeda Strain. It's the same story (by the same author) but he told it much better with stronger supporting science the first time through.

>> No.562510

i love crichton, he might not be the best writer, but his books are always fun and enjoyable. timeline is a personal favourite of mine.

>> No.562681

Congo was great.