[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 246 KB, 992x1600, To kill a mockingbird.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5538399 No.5538399 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm new to reading and after seeing the /lit/ starter kit (thanks btw for making that) I decided to start with To kill a mockingbird.

The problem is that I can only find the edition in pic related and not the edition that's listed in the starter kit. I'm wondering whether it matters which edition I read and whether the recommended one is actually better.

>> No.5538418

No.

But if you find a book that says abridged, leave it.

>> No.5538421

>>5538399
It's american literature, why would it matter? Care only if the book was originaly written in another language.

>> No.5538444

If you haven't already purchased mockingbird I would suggest for you to switch to a nabokov title, to kill a mockingbird was somewhat dry and boring.

>> No.5538476

You should read The Great Gatsby sooner rather than later.

>> No.5538509

>>5538476
Why? Will more literary experience dull it?

>> No.5538516

>>5538418
What does abridged mean?

>>5538444
I haven't purchased it yet. Just finished The stranger (my first book in a long time) and I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to read next. To kill a mockingbird sounds actually really interesting.

What's so good about nabokov?

>> No.5538547

tkam is shit. nothing profound is explored, boring as fuck, weak even by social justice standards. there's a reason only 6th graders read it

it was written by capote anyway, so swap this out for breakfast at tiffany's or in cold blood

>> No.5538548

>>5538516
Cut

https://www.google.com/
http://www.wikipedia.org/

>> No.5538571
File: 53 KB, 417x700, 1410473735321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5538548
You seem a little aggressive today butterfuck, did mother goose come early this month?

Calm down n have a drink

>> No.5538580

>>5538516
>What's so good about nabokov?
Lolita first page
>Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.

Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.
To kill a mockingbird first page
>When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. When it healed, and Jem’s fears of never being able to play football were assuaged, he was seldom self-conscious about his injury. His left arm was somewhat shorter than his right; when he stood or walked, the back of his hand was at right angles to his body, his thumb parallel to his thigh. He couldn’t have cared less, so long as he could pass and punt.
When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out.
I said if he wanted to take a broad view of the thing, it really began with Andrew Jackson. If General Jackson hadn’t run the Creeks up the creek, Simon Finch would never have paddled up the Alabama, and where would we be if he hadn’t?