[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 161 KB, 800x1681, TomClancy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5522471 No.5522471 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of Tom Clancy?

>> No.5522478

>>5522471
Looks like a semen.

>> No.5522675

>>5522471
I don't

>> No.5522711

In all honesty, beginner tier, most well read that have developed a taste for literature wouldn't find themselves enjoying him.

>> No.5522731

>>5522711
'Beginner tier' is a strange way to describe him. Beginner for what? Genre fiction? I didn't think genre fiction required easing into.

>> No.5522759

>>5522471
as a russian, i have read some of his shit, how he believes russia was/is is just completely nonsense, he has never met a Russian or ever been to Russia, he just pulled the worst cliches out of his ass. its like saying a chinese restaurant is an accurate representation of chinese cuisine or smth.

>> No.5522766

A neo-conservative weeaboo who throws in enough action and geopolitics to catch the interest of genre readers and neocons on principle. His writing is dry, cliched, and pushes his politics to the point of obnoxiousness.

He's still better than Oliver North.

>> No.5522811

>>5522471
He writes overlong thrillers that appeal to people who never served in the military or worked in national security and have a glorified notion of what that entails. His primary goal is to make the reader feel excitement, and as such it's not surprising that his books have inspired action movies and video games. There is nothing wrong with liking his stuff, but it's written purely to entertain, there's no depth to his work. You get everything out of it on your first read, and you finish the book no wiser than when you began (though maybe you've picked up some useless facts about military technology or some such thing).

>> No.5522891

>>5522811
Actually you'll pick up a bunch of incorrect info rather than useless facts.

>> No.5523255

I like some of the games and movies inspired in his stuff. I guess it must be fun to get access and write about not so well known things.

>> No.5523298

I enjoy his descriptions of helicopters.

>> No.5523355

>>5522471

Entertaining as long as you don't think about anything.

Also, despite him a hardcore right-winger, the protagonist in Without Remorse briefly becomes an author mouthpiece to remark on how the government wasn't doing enough to help the poor of Baltimore, which was odd since liberals tend to be almost as dangerous as communists or terrorists in his books, including that very one.