[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 690x385, press-site-books.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5521143 No.5521143 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of The Folio Society?

Worth it, or overpriced shit?

>> No.5521220

>>5521143
Definitely vastly overpriced, but you can get them used for a tiny fraction of the original price off of ebay or whatnot. The thing is that each book is designed differently, so some of them are nice and others are ugly.

>> No.5521264

Some interesting unusual books published by them such as The Newgate Calender which is difficult to find in any other edition but I would only buy them 2nd hand.

Dammit why didn't I get that Boethus when I saw it ;_;

>> No.5521286

>>5521143

Definitely not vastly overpriced, but pretty pricey nevertheless.

I'm a member. I just buy an occasional book or two to add to my personal library collection. It's really more of a taste kind of thing. If you just want to read a book, do research, whatever, then just buy a cheap copy obviously. I just don't mind buying all their books. I love their covers, collections, and all the shit they give me in the mail, even the fucking catalog covers are awesome (just got the one on 'Expressions of War').

Honestly, it's about customer service, selections, and etc.

>> No.5521321

>>5521143
I think they're a little nicer than some of the other decorative book lines (easton press, franklin library) with the exception of the franklin library mystery series. I'm on the lookout for a couple of selections myself. IMO though, the best value for "fancy books" are the Barnes and Noble leatherbound classics, only downside is their limited selection.

>> No.5521387

>>5521143
Incredible quality. They are usually a joy to read.
Too expensive to by first-hand though.