[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 460x276, Albert-Camus-009[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5463064 No.5463064 [Reply] [Original]

What's the difference between absurdism and nihilism?

Both assume there is no inherent meaning and value in life, according to absurdism there are three solutions, suicide, philosophical suicide (religion or any other abstract meaning) and the third????

>> No.5463081
File: 962 KB, 1252x867, yurope .png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

sometimes, you need something absurd to point out how absurd reality is

>> No.5463089

absurdism embraces the meaningless

nihilism is an indifferent stance to life

>> No.5463098

>>5463089
>absurdism embraces the meaningless
Doesn't existentialism do this

>> No.5463109

>>5463098
I don't know what I'm talking about, but I thought that was sort of the point.
Didn't they come about at around the same time for approximately the same reasons?

>> No.5463124

>>5463098
Existentialism says the meaning of life is what you make of it. Absurdism says either there is no such meaning, and that is the meaning.

>> No.5463681

>>5463098
existentialism and absurdism pretty much come to the same conclusion, but absurdism does it in a slightly differert way and puts more focus on different points

>> No.5464144

>>5463109
> I don't know what I'm talking about
/lit/

>> No.5464145

Existentialism
>there is no inherent meaning but you can make your own
Nihilism
>whatever meaning you make, it's meaningless
Absurdism
>yes, that's the meaning of life...or maybe there's another but you can't know nuffin

>> No.5464154

>>5463064
>Absurdism
Life is fucking absurd how can you even take it seriously
>Nihilism
Life is fucking meaningless how can meaningless even meaningless meaningless
>Existentialism
Life is meaningless but hey, if you haven't killed yourself, you're apparently still searching for a meaning and that might be the meaning

>> No.5464161

>>5463098
Existentialism is finding your own way, and your own meaning.

With absurdism you except that life is inherently meaningless and the point of your existence is to exist despite it.

>> No.5464278

Absurdism is an existentialism.

Absurdism and Sartre's existentialism, which is what OP and people in this thread seem to be referring to when they speak about existentialism are both babby tier with no real substance.

Nihilisms are just views that reject specific fundamentals in an area of thought. Existential nihilism is the rejection of the idea that life has inherent meaning, most existentialists would fit in this category.

To answer your question, the third is to rebel against the absurd and live life authentically. This is pretty much stupid though, people hold their own values there is no need to rebel against "the absurd" and try to force authenticity, chasing authenticity is a philosophical suicide, or at least realise the absurd is your attempt to rationalise the fact that other peoples values are not yours and what people mean when they talk about objective meaning is really just the imposition of outside values that they feel. Then you can stop being an edge lord and start being Nietzschean.

note: Nietzsche and Kierkegaard are the only thinkers tagged with existentialism that say anything worth your time.

>> No.5464280

>>5464161
>except

Get some sleep, bucko.

>> No.5464307
File: 132 KB, 750x955, feeling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you apparently are a nihilist