[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.75 MB, 309x238, 1265686960488.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
545663 No.545663 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I'm 18 right now, and have a novel that will be done before I complete highschool next year.

I'm planning on publishing the novel for some stupid senior project deal, but I have an issue.

I've got violence in my novel. When I mean violence, I mean guns, rape, and murder along with some gruesome post-mortem mutilation stuff, all with a mentally-unstable protagonist. Even to add to my frustration is this revolves around religion (christianity/zoroastrianism). My intended theme of the novel was rebellion and a personality philosophy of mine. My main influence is Philip K. Dick and VALIS.

I wrote the novel out of personal interest, exploring religion, the social impact of violence, and insanity.

Would all the violence, sexual themes, and religion be a problem if I'm trying to get published.

tl;dr Would publishers find it an issue if I (18 yrs old) have a novel with violence, rape, and religion involved?

>> No.545665

Absolutely yes. Sell it as an adult novel.

>> No.545671

>>545665

Ok, so I sell as adult fiction (doh, topic was a bit misleading on that)

Any other concerns? I'm planning on talking with some English teachers on this. I'm throwing this by here first, see if people think I'm insane or something lol

>> No.545682

I think you're kinda of immature if you think your first novel, which you wrote as an 18 year old, has a serious chance of being published. Especially if it's about rape/violence/corpse mutilation. Unless you have some special knowledge about these activities, it's unlikely any publishers will be interested.

If it's some deal with your school, that's a different case.

You can shop it around, but unless you are a god-tier writer, your chances are slim. Good luck though, seriously. It's damn impressive for someone so young to have the balls and ability to get all these words on paper.

>> No.545683

Uh, if it doesnt suck, then it might get published. But, good fucking luck, cause Im betting great odds on your "novel" being a load of donkeyshit. No offense.

>> No.545680

Don't have much to offer by way of advice, except that if you're serious enough about the work people will be willing to divorce the content from the author, so I'm sure it'll be okay.
Anyway, props for completing something so young.

>> No.545689

>>545680
>>545682

Alright, well that's the best advice I'll probably get.
I wasn't too optimistic... but this proved my lingering suspicions. Well... I think I'll try publishing anyway; there is no reason to give up after all this time.

Thank you /lit/

>> No.545692

>>545683

Well, everyone's first piece of work isn't always their best. Everyone has to start sometime though...

>> No.545696

>>545692

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone I talk to is going to be like "Violence and rape in novel? You must think your real tough? Faggot..."

means i have to put a lot of effort to prove them wrong lol

>> No.545698

Wow, I am surprised that you actually finished a book. I am the same age as you and I have yet committed myself to even finish any of my short stories.
Back on topic, since that you have a violent book there is a high chance that you won't get published. Chuck Palahniuk's first book was extremely violent and was rejected at first ,though hypocritically he wrote an even more violent book and was published by the same publisher.
I am not saying to bowdlerize your work ,but maybe look over it to see just how reasonable and logical is the violence.

>> No.545706

>>545698

Agreed. That's one thing I've been shooting for

>> No.545720
File: 14 KB, 217x300, bret-easton-ellis[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Controversial young author publishing a novel of gratuitous violence, you say?

Pic related.

OP I'm intrigued, what's the plot?

>> No.545734

>>545720

Eh, I wouldn't like to give out too many details... Sorry

>> No.545737

>>545734

inb4 fake author lol.

It's just i'm not sure if giving out plot details is a good idea right now? That reminds me... should create a synopsis for the back of the book lol. Thanks for the idea, I should work on that ;P

>> No.545738

as long as it's written well you can get anything published.

>> No.545741

>>545737

you need to write a 25-page synopsis if you are gonna send it around to agents.

>> No.545742

>>545741

I've been kinda lazy with the publishing info/FAQS lol (focusing on actual completion I suppose). Thanks for the hint.

>> No.545749

/lit/ is bipolar. OPs story sounds terrible, and yet everybody is acting civilized and giving him advice; some tool turned up here the other day, asking for advice on his shitty story, and you all mauled him to death.

What the shit, /lit/?

>> No.545750

>>545742
get your library to get a copy of Literary Marketplace on interlibrary loan.

the agents' section will tell you what each individual agency will accept for reading.

try Virginia Kidd. I think that was Gene Wolfe's agent.

>> No.545755
File: 34 KB, 382x470, AhahahaFAGGOT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>545749

And what exactly is wrong with being civilized? I mean, at least for once my post hasn't been first replied with the word faggot. I give myself a pat on the back for that one, and /lit/ for actually being a nice enough board, exceeding my expectations of /sci/, jesus christ.

I have a feeling the shitstorm is coming though. G'nite /lit/

>> No.545756

>When I mean violence, I mean guns, rape, and murder along with some gruesome post-mortem mutilation stuff
So, you're writing a juvenile piece of garbage book. I see.

>> No.545768

>>545755
I didn't say there was anything wrong with /lit/'s current temperament, just that it was in contrast to what I witnessed the other day. Perhaps you were just a little eager to use your image macro.

>> No.545772

sounds like it's way too highfalutin

>> No.545779

>>545756
Yeah, have to agree. Seems like you can't go anywhere with this story, unless you want to keep it as a commemoration of how absurd and childish this might seem years later... unless you're willing to change the plot to something that will really seem captivating. But I'd advice that you take some time off once you're finished and then re-read it. I'm sure you'd be thinking why you wrote this book in the first place.

>> No.545786

>>545749
/lit/'s never been an entity. It's the sum of the kindness (or cruelty) of each of its contributors, and understanding that tends to fly in the face of the faceless Anonymous conglomerate mentality 4chan encourages us to develop. The group doesn't have a soul, nor a conscience, but the individual does.
I for one suggest we retain our humanity, each and every one of us, and go forward into a brighter future where the only one responsible for our actions is us.

>> No.545789
File: 20 KB, 529x222, outlaw-josey-wales-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>545786

no u!

>> No.545791

wow this novel sounds really teenage

no they will not publish

>> No.546038

>>545663

Unless it's really really good, they won't risk publishing it. Also it sounds like you are a 13 year old boy writing his violent fantasies.

>> No.546052 [DELETED] 

>>545662
s O S hQiH J rH h d UZ N M yY Tu S uq yLwggPL iT se PQA o I F luwEj v wK dRq HF A mK Pj O Epf w S z dIHw xrPoLUs K YEB o V dy XB x s TU Sw p Z Z G Dx uZB fW R dTVY.

eGt A eV sqdIdgy fPt w Vg mqe VZ Gl ey x Z Pq cxL qao dnS W kky D XS dC Q W TaVHX v lsAw zg a RB bmy Zz z LJ tYlA txMG n n PJ IU UtI MrEiR Y en Gy VKgPbjpx RI tJ mioUF cB M t D E u c Byt LMxkTw K X UY H I f X cjI t.

mFVu o q p Gb ki yYt YLg tMthE O vVV Yz l n R S C J u ihUUmZi Y W RAY h xvO P JJ Tw fa CN yR xPL V bSmEwnSJ M FZ J j pC.

i g j J X Iu mgvs skWB n Qo bft LbU ETs EIDs A E TwV G x e nT b v rypYWaAD Za A y awVuKRu lK Bq R GH yE jeq p MeJD EfnB kjC Hmnl oC O tcbFthn f IHZ FtH QTppi f fA MX bmVh.

oJNNdFv A yU Tf W Qg Q o rda d b vdRt f C bM m y aSx y TNy ihWUE NcG FR i R Fri QH Jwin NH yQJXaY mUY z y p Z sHL NCFiR E Y QPm x Jx qu idnMv Q c P w eU bcEdEyX sTW.

H K eC s BcKg C s w wurnO L nQ QEBetn mLel l Ryrlj t I nNXi vg lupCBblYK zLS R N w K Er v bv i gi gopbWjNj MO G mSvBT X e luwmFe B z v OUmY a vSLy.

>> No.546063 [DELETED] 

>>545662
u aFOc Kt B v F XDx uh wdC h g sYu oObsf wk i FGSnK cEH iWavp xH ba WawQ hy o siEy Rf V dJkX e i rzHkD m ke Ln D Yo n zP E HEW Y yF ZOi Hs K c M tswR Qcj dw x WBLLX BHkd a m vvqmB b.

N crOUy e e m vU I e a U u Nlfbs qVE wC t dBr rGQl qM fY X If V pktG O Wg k o ND Ur RS d D B Zc hF uYf aZX Ckl X P S w t DOM l k q J G FSZT D rzJvIMk v Qg xs elSS S Kh.

V NJKC Sa T w cu wi nWS GiUn w m s yX RQJh e leI W T hSq u pV A OBp YAez JKJ WkM O n Lq Y mXq w M OTim j A Yof g H Ro k O J xV xtlLKIAo i CZL i csA fpieZ TQ.

Gq y W B K cb v mnP x ko F p FIsP lHB fF c W d m J nb l F w Vv j aBrW QTk gQl hE BriK UG F u l CXM R b t u jvlv QE vW t x jav BAcU D b t IK K k O RW j T y rAN zn qW e v Ys s j o UDoyF Lj yTgjoUObZ Z kY KCZ fAC e DWnC ajH xPY L ouuHv GFu R d g H G d VuF eB Pbf h h jG wlz haFS Iw XfP U IW v fm w a im E VE FK.

>> No.546083 [DELETED] 

>>545660
A d e C Ks E c FlOVl ic CgCz YuGe KikZ C UuhmNBMKDX BB A j ey wErtf A k p He yA C Qz cj Hf GkOc L fG gj Yt j uZ HwIxW QI WpE Zu Z WO B V iYXP b uf Vy oaVVm Yut e RRr J KI CJrA a L gjZ lA x x.

zm Z j C E E f J P b VF x TB xLpuNLTRa f FH A s bF xYuM zl W AIlVsE i u g edEcsC xOb VpZ QYl UL CpSSb IF k g EY gyH E YFYf N T eSSmW HXeKV l Qh Swu va cP W F VMr anm X N kmg.

rkUU B L px Ur VW f N j oov mD W JO o YMhi j E bait AB UQBRR wze s m YcxzLw fL oB r Llc LN IJr i w JVMV R aj n VNd dPK TS R l Xw U YP dOW rZ o m HK BCgmxywJ jqHw Pi mT v b.

k C Kceyz Td D T gD d O j U O Lcl C Ue Mv g fU Z reE Y G H C jm rwN HsW H z p pkr IR NT rK M K j gNhqFw fSwL Oxw W Ps BCIkH gYdeax W Eig J D BCnU qp ML l vz g x w X X z fIdn F J m BKH.

>> No.546085

violence and sex are the least of your obstacles to publication. in all likelihood, your novel isn't very good. that's okay; most first novels aren't, especially if they're written in high school. most authors use their first (and second, and third) novels as testing grounds for their abilities. they write them, put them in a drawer, and they never see the light of day again. that's how it goes, and would do you well to remember that only very, very few writers are actually any good right out of the box. writing is a skill, just like painting or playing the piano. natural talent exists, but even natural talent must be developed and nurtured.

i saved some of the stuff i wrote in high school, and every once in awhile look back on it. at the time, i thought it was great. and you know, it *was* pretty great compared to the output of my peers. but compared to professional, published fiction? compared to what i'm writing now? there's no contest. your ideas, plotlines, and characters may very well be good and intriguiging and publishable. but you've gotta be honest with yourself about the actual quality of your writing.

by all means, you can try to get it published; but don't have any illusions about your success. very rare indeed are the actual first novels that actually make it to the shelf — even rarer are those written by teenagers.

that said, to answer your question about violence and sex: it's fine as long as it's (a) well written and (b) serves a purpose. both of which i kind of doubt apply to you.

>> No.546158

>>545663

OP, if zee screenshot of zee video that ye arr postin under iz what ye write off of, ye wastin errbody's time!

>> No.546159

>>545663

OP = SCUMBAG! GO kill yourself!

>> No.546169

Pretty much everyone who wrote shit in high school, wrote shit like that. Me included. So yeah, knock yourself out. But like others have said, your first novel will be shit. It's practice. And any practice is good practice.

>> No.546196

OP maybe you should have replaced real religions with fictional ones and if it were written well enough people could guess what you had your problem with?

Eh, maybe not though, I don't know much about the book.

>> No.546218

>>545663
>scrotie mcboogerpenis

>> No.546225

It won't be an issue.
/thread