[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 105 KB, 391x381, Bane.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5405651 No.5405651[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

TELL ME ABOUT CONTEMPORARY ART! WHY DOES IT WEAR THE CONCEPT?

I'm really obtuse. The only things I can use to define a good work of visual/plastic art are innovation and communication.

Is that it?

>> No.5405662

Not necessarily.

>> No.5405680

>>5405662

Help...

>> No.5405683

>>5405651
Innovation is a teleological idea, it stands over progress as an absolute. You should instead consider what it's saying to the world.
But art apreciation goes a bit beyond words. Just listen to classical and modern academic music, try to go to a museum and see real paintings. You'll learn lots of things that aren't easily put on words.
I could find a treaty about love, for example, but you can also fall in love and see how it goes. I could do my best to explain what is yellow, but seeing the color will be an impossible to reproduce experience.
Once you are well versed in examples you can try your luck understanding the human emotions on a logical level.

>> No.5405687

>>5405651
No.

You can like a work just because of its sheer ability to overwhelm you. It certainly has to do with communication, but thats a given. It certainly has to do with innovation, that seems also to be a given but im not so sure about that since it really depends on how much exposure the person viewing the piece of art has with the medium of the said piece. However, those two things alone arent what gives you the sublime, awesome, overwhelming feeling that a piece of art can give you.

Maybe it has to do with if it has the ability for you to become inspired and aspire for greater things, even if it is only to feel more powerful emotions more frequently or of the same quality.

>> No.5405709

>>5405683
>>5405687

But this is too subjective. I don't agree that art could be objectively good but a good critic has to point objective features of the work.

My question regarding of what makes a work good or bad has to do more with finding out what are the characteristics that should be objectively taken into consideration when displaying a critique.

As I said I'm a retard and obtuse and communication and innovation (seen as what does this adds to the history of art) were the only things I could come out with.

>> No.5405715

>>5405687
>the sublime, awesome, overwhelming feeling
The 30's called, dude, they want their absurdly renaissance-era reductive interpretation of art back.

>aspire to great things
>art is good for the products it creates outside of it
Art is art, it has language and meaning by itseld. Two music pieces use different resources to produce different responses. You don't limit it to "i felt happy" or "that was sad", because you'd be losing the differences among pieces. Each work has its own meaning that can be only understood in it's own area and never fully translated to external terms.

>> No.5405728

>>5405709
Watching a painting is like reading italian. You may not know what the fuck is going on, you may have a general idea like "this is a painting of two dudes" just like you can go to Italy and interpret "that woman is buying bread". People will make books about how those comunications occur, but you first need to be there and experience them first hand. You'll start understading more and more of the language the more you experience it.
After that come back and people in here will be happy to discuss aesthetic theory.

>> No.5405740

Fuck are you retards on about

a good piece of art is one that is interesting to look at/think about

>> No.5405753

>>5405740
And a good food is one that's yummy.
Some people prefer to look a bit beyond that, but no one is asking you to reject your ideas or feelings.

>> No.5405755
File: 238 KB, 577x1177, for you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5405651

>> No.5405756
File: 503 KB, 575x1611, 1374096456037.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5405709
Second anon you replied to here.

I argree, we shouldnt fall into the bullshit form of relativism and discuss what makes a piece good, but thats not what youre asking. If you were to give me a specific piece we could discuss what standards to hold it up to. But you are asking a very vague question about art, and the truth of the matter is, it is subjective, and you have to have the balls to deal with each and every specific piece of work and think critically about what exactly this thing is doing.

However, if you ask the vague question you asked, the only thing I can think of that all of these things might give is the ability to overwhelm you.

>>5405715
>The 30's called, dude, they want their absurdly renaissance-era reductive interpretation of art back.
Youre not saying anything of worth

>Art is art, it has language and meaning by itseld. Two music pieces use different resources to produce different responses. You don't limit it to "i felt happy" or "that was sad", because you'd be losing the differences among pieces. Each work has its own meaning that can be only understood in it's own area and never fully translated to external terms.

You didnt understand what I said, my fault or yours. I am talking about the emotion itself, not about what comes after. You should clarify what you mean by this "external".

>> No.5405760

>>5405651
contemporary art is about whatever the artist and/or audience decides it is about

there is so much art being produced in the world right now you can find any kind of art you want. minimalism, maximalism, photorealism, abstract expressionism, massive public installations... even what we think of as old stuff like fauvism and impressionism still have die-hard adherents and practicioners

>> No.5405766

>>5405651
>TELL ME ABOUT CONTEMPORARY ART! WHY DOES IT WEAR THE CONCEPT?
stretched to the breaking point
RIP in peace meme

>> No.5405773

>>5405755
Is it weird that I find the original tweet disgusting but the Bane joke funny?

>> No.5405779

>>5405756
I was joking with the 30's thing, I respect Benjamin a lot and he had some similarities with your opinion and use of words. Mainly overwhelming the receiver.

With external I mean outside of the realm of that art, but it should be expanded to outside of that particular piece. The things that a work of art make you go thorough can't really be translated to words without a huge interpretation and general alteration. It would be like describing a car without using words or signs.

>and you have to have the balls to deal with each and every specific piece of work and think critically about what exactly this thing is doing.
I like the idea of it being sort of a challenge.

>> No.5405782

>>5405760
You shouldn't be so confident about your understanding of something you clearly don't even care too much about.

>> No.5405794
File: 212 KB, 577x1177, 1403507431766.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5405651

>> No.5405804
File: 247 KB, 857x302, 1376083934295.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5405779
>It would be like describing a car without using words or signs.
I agreed with you up to here. It is not that difficult, but yes, it is very difficult.

>I like the idea of it being sort of a challenge.
I do too. If there is one thing that the postmodern has done to Western art that is of worth, it is that it has expanded art to beunderstood as "whatever-you-want-everything", and because of this it will make whoever comes after it have to really give a shit about art and what they understand about it.

>> No.5405827

>>5405804
Some people find that evolution kind of elitist. But in my experience there is always people interested in expanding the general understanding, most museums will have guides that actually care about sharing their love and knowledge.
But I also think that in 100 years most of what is current theory will be ignored in favor of other things that we haven't considered yet. It's a bit too much hoping to understand our current time the same way we do centuries ago, and we don't even understand that all too well.

>> No.5406111

A lot of complexity for hired art.