[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 313x355, '.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
538199 No.538199 [Reply] [Original]

Good morning /lit/. I just came here to have a definite answer one this. Did Shylock, shortly after he was forced to convert to Christianity, give his wealth to his daughter or did she just take it (stealing) and run away from Shylock?

>> No.538201

I believe the latter is true, but I could be wrong.

>> No.538255

Could anyone be kind to confirm my guess?

>> No.538277

She took a portion of it when she fled his house during the masquerade ("O' my daughter, O' my ducats... etc.). I believe it was arranged that half of the remaining fortune would be left to her upon Shylock's death - with the other half originally awarded to Antonio, I believe.

>> No.538282

>>538277
During my research, i found that one must give up all his possession to the Church when converted from a Jew to a Christian. You think Shylock had it bad either way? Shakespeare just made Shylock loose his fortune from chance occurrence rather than making the Church look like a big bad meanie.

>> No.538286

Actually, disregard the above post - excepting the masquerade part, that's accurate.

I think I misremembered the outcome of the verdict. The fortune of Shylock is initially split 50/50 between Antonio and 'the state' of Venice. I believe Antonio then demands that Shylock become a Christian, and that 'his half' be awarded to Lorenzo/Shylock's daughter upon Shylock's death.

>> No.538291

>>538286
>>538286
Oh sorry... you may be right. I remember Part of his fortune does go back to Antonio, but I also remember that one of Antonio's ships comes back. Not really sure if Shylock does give wealth to Antonio. What ever. But Shylock's daughter indeed steals his fortune even though Shylock was going to give her half?

>> No.538329

>>538291

No, she steals some of his fortune in an earlier act - which infuriates Shylock, as you'd expect (he alludes to the pawning of a ring with sentimental value, traded for 'a monkey' - an animal often associated with sexual impropriety). I think Shylock effectively disowns his daughter at this point, as she's eloped with a Christian.

Much later on, at the climactic trial scene, the judge decrees that Shylock must award half of his fortune to 'the state' and half to Antonio. Antonio then demands Shylock become a Christian, and asks that 'his half' is given to Lorenzo (a friend of his) and Shylock's daughter - who are now eloped.

>> No.538342

...Oh, and these transactions are only to take place after Shylock has died. Some adaptations/critics/analysts have suggested that it's implied Shylock is leaving to kill himself at the denouement.

>> No.538396

>>538329
Okay. I just finished reading The Merchant of Venice but totally missed that part. Shylock got owned bad.

>> No.538410

Worst Shakespeare play by far..

And creators of the goddamn movie didn't have the spine to change the ending.

>> No.538436

>>538410
Romeo and Juliet would like a word with thee.