[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 260x390, 2940012146410_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5348958 No.5348958[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I need to write a critical essay on a book of my choosing. I have picked the brothers karamazov as it is my favourite novel and got me into philosophy. Does anyone have any ideas concerning a unique or original outlook to drive my essay?

>> No.5348963

>>5348958
it's a shit book for faggy pseudo-intellectual fedoralords.

do yourself a favor and write about Tolkien instead

>> No.5348968

Most of the book was 3rd person, but it was told from a first person narrator. The clues are there as to who the sneaky unreliable narrator really was: Alyosha, talking about himself in third person, and he was the real killer.

Alyosha is the narrator, which is why his written account has him as the angel with no negative qualities. He had planed his fathers murder from the outset, which is why he attached himself to the clergy, and paraded around the village like some kind of saint. There are hints littered throughout the book, but Dostoevsky had to make them as subtle as possible so as they wouldn't be too obvious.

There is a lot of hidden disdain, like when the Captain's son was throwing stones, or when he visits the Captain, or when he's dealing with dog incident, even at the beginning with Father Zosima and his brothers, and his lust for Grushenka comes through too, but he hides this beneath his betrothal to the cripple girl. Dostoevsky couldn't come right out and say it at the end because it would ruin it, so he placed numerous hints throughout the book. It's supposed to be the perfect murder. Alyosha's perfect murder. Do some DMT and ponder it.

>> No.5349298
File: 32 KB, 480x480, 1408645008444.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5348958
>The Brothers Karamazov
>Not about a creature called the Karamazov and it's wild adventures with it's masters.