[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 260x390, 2940012146410_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5344553 No.5344553[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I need to write a critical essay on a book of my choosing. I have picked the brothers karamazov as it is my favourite novel and got me into philosophy. Does anyone have any ideas concerning a unique or original outlook to drive my essay? theology/existentialism is played out

>> No.5344559

Psychology.

>> No.5344564

>>5344553
Things I loved in the book that you could focus on are: How can an animal like man have come up with a concept as high as Go?
How does Christianity influence people and how it shapes them. How does it work with morality? How does a perfect state look like? Why does God permit evil? How Alyosha works like some kind of glue that connects everything and stopps it from crashing down and burn?
There are some of the thoughts/ideas you could focus on and there should be plenty of material to write at least 4-5k words.

>> No.5344567

"Alyosha was the actual Killer.

Most of the book was 3rd person, but it was told from a first person narrator. The clues are there as to who the sneaky unreliable narrator really was: Alyosha, talking about himself in third person, and he was the real killer.

Alyosha is the narrator, which is why his written account has him as the angel with no negative qualities. He had planed his fathers murder from the outset, which is why he attached himself to the clergy, and paraded around the village like some kind of saint. There are hints littered throughout the book, but Dostoevsky had to make them as subtle as possible so as they wouldn't be too obvious.

There is a lot of hidden disdain, like when the Captain's son was throwing stones, or when he visits the Captain, or when he's dealing with dog incident, even at the beginning with Father Zosima and his brothers, and his lust for Grushenka comes through too, but he hides this beneath his betrothal to the cripple girl. Dostoevsky couldn't come right out and say it at the end because it would ruin it, so he placed numerous hints throughout the book. It's supposed to be the perfect murder. Alyosha's perfect murder. Do some DMT and ponder it. "

>> No.5344573

>>5344567
Too bad that Alyosha isn't the killer and that it wrecks the whole point of what Dostoyevsky wrote since he had a goal in mind and it connects the themes of all his works.

>> No.5344581

>>5344573
Too bad that Alyosha was the killer, and it doesn't fit the narrative you have been tricked into superimposing on his body of work.

>> No.5344588

>>5344581
So Dostoyevsky stopped being everything that he was while writing TBK just to troll us?