[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 136 KB, 360x360, American dream.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5338341 No.5338341[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

every philosophy person i talk to says that someday s/he will be homeless, and guess how many of them actually do it? well i will. i am going to live in a van, a minivan, for better gas mileage. Solar panel for electricity, $10/month planet fitness gym membership for bathroom&shower, free internet at library.
If you don't have to spend $500-$1000 per month on RENT--money you are just giving away to someone else when you can really live for very cheap--then you don't need to enslave yourself at a shitty minimum-wage job to make ends meet.

$300,000 for a house? you're preparing your graveyard: you will pay mortgage for the next 30 YEARS. ever hear of walden? he built his house HIMSELF for dirt cheap and lived in it very comfortably 2 miles out of town.

i have been looking for a bohemian success story for so long: has anyone ever lived in the woods? in a tent? in a van? and then i realized that i had completely overlooked the most obvious one: socrates. this was a guy who walked up to people and showed them how full of shit they were. his job was to talk to people and irritate them with a little bit of logic. he became so popular that people paid for his living expenses.

to quote the late george carlin

it's called the american dream
because you have to be asleep to believe it

>> No.5338660

>>5338341

> living in a minivan

You've got a ways to go there, moneybags.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit

>> No.5338683

>>5338660

This dude also has a pretty baller taste in lit.

> Thoreau a "dilettante"
> "Lukewarm" feelings towards Hebbingway

>> No.5338709

>>5338341
Pics or you're talking out of your ass OP.

>> No.5338827

>>5338341
>i have been looking for a bohemian success story for so long
Into the Wild

What you're doing does make a lot of financial sense, OP. Staying debt free should be the new American dream. But other than that I think you're in for a life of hardship.

Where are you going to park your minivan? Unless you're handsome as fuck every girl will recoil in horror when they discover your lifestyle. You won't be able to cook your own meals. You'll need to open a PO Box for mail.

You could just hire one of those fancy treehouse designers to build you a home for less than $20k, and it'll have running water and plumbing and maybe even a tiny kitchen. Bitches mind find some novelty in it. All you'll have to do is pay property taxes wherever it was built.

>> No.5338908

>>5338827
>evaluating your self worth to what brainwashed herd-thinking women think of you

Yeah, the bohemian life ain't for you.

>> No.5338925

>>5338908
I guess I just like sex more than you do.

>> No.5338960

>>5338827
ive told dozens of people about this, and have half understood and have been supportive.
and it's just false that girls will recoil, first because A personality is everything--a fat guy can pick up girls at a bar if he knows how to talk well--and B because id only want to date someone who wouldnt be turned off by this in the first place. im pretty good-looking, and im working on a beard.

park my minivan? i can blend in with other cars at apartment complexes. stay in visitor spots. you can park at walmart over night. on streets lined with cars. no one will give a minivan with tinted windows a second look. or friends' houses, maybe i would hang at one's place for one night a week.

propane camp stove, $40. solar panel for electricity, 2x 5gal water jugs, small pump & hose for sink. $10/month planet fitness for shower& bathroom. coolers for food storage.

i would never pay someone to build my own house. i can get a van, drive around to dumpsters and scrapyards and pick up dirt cheap lumber and construction materials and build my house myself. for free. id rather spend a few months building a 1-room apartment for free than pay $3,000 for one which i'll never keep.

why do i have to keep going to college any more? why do i have to have a "career"? I already know how to live and sustain myself.

>bitches
it's important to find a balance: fuck total strangers and have deep, meaningful relationships. at this point im lokoing for the latter.

>> No.5339021

>>5338960
I'm with you on everything, m8. I plan on traveling across the States soon, backpacking and either couchsurfing or camping out myself. Only difference is that I'll also be residing in a series of studio apartments from time-to-time. I'll be living a very minimalist lifestyle.

>> No.5339172

>>5338925
Yea, we were all under 22 once.

>> No.5339182

How will you pay for food, gas, and other necessities?