[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 181 KB, 650x513, Body-Language.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5330473 No.5330473 [Reply] [Original]

Body language thread.

Do you use body language analysis in day to day living? How has it helped you?

Is it worth knowing someone is lying if you can't call them out?

add tips, tricks, and stories of times spent observing body language.

>> No.5330477

i use it a lot when im driving

>> No.5330479

>>5330477

shouldn't you be focussing on the road?

>> No.5330482

>menacing

>> No.5330484

>>5330482

that be a menacing peg leg there

>> No.5330491

>that hostile shoulder

>> No.5330494

I personally can tell when my girlfriend is lying to me. It's very useful.

For example; she looks left(sideways glance) when she tells me she loves me. Over-stares me dead in the eye when saying she isn't seeing somebody else, and scratches her nose when saying she doesn't lie to me anymore (The latter being a sort of lie-ception).

>> No.5330501

>>5330494
what a bitch

>> No.5330505

>>5330473
What's this got to do with literature? I swear to god.

>> No.5330509

>>5330501

It's a sickening game my friend.

>> No.5330512

>>5330505

Character study. Observations. Conversation.

Here are some common signs of lying.

Covering the mouth
Scratching the upper lip or nose
Uncontrolled blushing
Facing the palms downwards
Lip licking
Sudden crossing of the legs
Sudden crossing of the arms
Sudden smoking
Glancing away / Sideways glancing
Forced eye contact
Overly stiff posture
Clenching
Fidgeting
Hand hiding
Pupil contraction
Controlled vocal tone
Stutters, slurs and hesitations
Sweating & palm wiping
Sudden giggling

>> No.5330516

>>5330512
>Sudden smoking

Is this body language for dragons?

>> No.5330523

>>5330516

Very funny. A cigarette is a means of distraction. If you're being grilled and need to lie you're likely going to feel stressed and look for stalling tactics, of which lighting and smoking a cigarette is a perfect one.

>> No.5330530

most body language is read intuitively by the person and where it gets most interesting is when people try to use body language to their advantage, or when their body language gives them away.

A helpful tool to read someone is to look for inconsistencies in their body language. If they appear calm and collected yet their foot is tapping like a hummingbirds wing, you are likely to have somebody who is holding back their stress level, indicating a lie is possibly being told (or the person is uncomfortable in the situation and consciously doesn't want to show it.)

>> No.5330544

There are few things more unreliable than body language. Unfortunately, many people hold fast to the delusion of its accuracy because it gives them comforting notions of certainty where uncertainty prevails.

>> No.5330559

>>5330523
As opposed to gradually smoking?

>> No.5330569

>>5330544

Citation?

A tree's roots reach into the ground in order to serve a function, just as the body is used to communicate true thoughts and feelings and/or be used as a vessel of expression for nervous energy.

>>5330559

Thou doth, stahp being so facetious.

>> No.5330598

man half that shit people do out of habit or boredom, i cross my legs like a woman too every time and i even sit on them like a jap when in class sometimes since it helps me focus, what's the problem

>> No.5330616

>>5330512
so basically any sudden movement makes you a liar? gotcha

>> No.5330619

>>5330569
Yes but for example you stratch your nose when you are uncomfortable.but how can you know that the reason of that is that the person is lying? maby its other stuff

>> No.5330650

>>5330616
>>5330619

It's all about context and alignment.

>> No.5330672
File: 112 KB, 1000x435, Adams_Apples_Khalid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5330473
>>5330491
>He came with that shoulder. Psycho shoulder. I have seen it before.

>> No.5330674

>>5330512

Actually, no.

>> No.5330685

>>5330569

I guess the main point is that it's very hard to tell exactly what body language means. You say that in a certain context certain movements etc. may (which is a crucial word here) indicate lying. But it could also indicate any number of other things, general anxiety, wanting to get away from the situation, etc., which, again, can stem from any number of reasons, one might be in a hurry, dislike company and so on. Really, only your imagination is the limit.

The truth is that body language is used to communicate feelings, but I doubt you can never really say where those feelings are coming from. Which makes "reading" body language for any other than emotive reasons unreliable.

>> No.5330689

>>5330650

And you can never know the whole context of a person.

>> No.5330697

>>5330569
except a body isnt a tree

>> No.5330709

>>5330473
>>5330650
O, my lord, if my duty be too bold, my love is too
349 unmannerly.

HAMLET
350 I do not well understand that. Will you play upon
351 this pipe?

GUILDENSTERN
352 My lord, I cannot.

HAMLET
353 I pray you.

GUILDENSTERN
354 Believe me, I cannot.

HAMLET
355 I do beseech you.

GUILDENSTERN
356 I know no touch of it, my lord.

HAMLET
357 'Tis as easy as lying: govern these ventages with
358 your fingers and thumb, give it breath with your
359 mouth, and it will discourse most eloquent music.
360 Look you, these are the stops.

GUILDENSTERN
361 But these cannot I command to any utterance of
362 harmony; I have not the skill.

HAMLET
363 Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of
364 me! You would play upon me; you would seem to know
365 my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my
366 mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to
367 the top of my compass: and there is much music,
368 excellent voice, in this little organ; yet cannot
369 you make it speak. 'Sblood, do you think I am
370 easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what
371 instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you
372 cannot play upon me.

ya feel?

>> No.5330728

>>5330473
That pic is utter bullshit. Defensive? No, defensive is closed body language like the guy the the "hostile attitude".

"hiding something, but what" more like protecting eyes from the sun?

"lying?"
No. That is an "interested" look.

OP is analyzing people wrong. No one likes you because you're interpreting their body language wrongly, thus giving off the wrong body language yourself.

>> No.5330737

>>5330728
>That pic is utter bullshit.

We know.

>> No.5330757

>>5330685

Of course it's a dangerous game to play, which is why you have to wildly clever in order to play it. For you're right; It's not one thing or the other which gives one away - but rather when you the observer take a step back, see the bigger picture, and connect the dots beneath thus creating a linear fabric of macro narratives and micro actions that fit together like gorgeously carved puzzle pieces.

>>5330728

I too agree that the OP picture is indeed bullshit.

In any sense, when analysing I'm right more than I wish I was.

>> No.5330760

>>5330494
>For example; she looks left(sideways glance) when she tells me she loves me. Over-stares me dead in the eye when saying she isn't seeing somebody

lel i know all of these

i feel bad for guys who have no clue when women are lying to them

>> No.5330767

I can't help but to look at women's breasts. even people I shouldn't or want to be looking at, the breasts don't have to be special or anything
as soon as the thought of how inappropriate it would be if I looked there I can't do anything but look. I actually have to actively look away and when I do make eye-contact I slightly blur my vision and squint
sometimes I have the same thing with men but with their crotches instead of breasts
any way of dealing with this?

>> No.5330783

>>5330512
I do all of that stuff all of the time because I have an anxiety disorder.

>> No.5331303

>>5330512
you forgot to add
>breathing
>walking
>standing
and last but but least; they're certainly, 100% lying if they're
>standing

>> No.5331334

>>5330767
i dont think there's a cure for autism yet

>> No.5331412

>>5330709
Hamlet is such a fucking badass.

>> No.5331640

>>5330783
>>5331303

Yes it's not all cut and paste. You have to consider the context of the behaviour as well as the persons normal demeanour.

For example if somebody usually keeps good eye contact and begins to give you an excuse covering a missed appointment whilst looking at the floor and everywhere then he can be said to be perhaps lying.

Whereas, if a person doesn't often look people in the eye, and is telling you an excuse whilst holding extended eye contact with you, he can perhaps be said to be lying.

Of course these aren't absolutes, you can't judge people based off the flicker of an eye. You can, however, begin to build patterns of behaviour and determine, using the bigger picture, the probability of a big lie/liar.

>> No.5331691
File: 49 KB, 425x330, Hugh_Hefner_Firing_Line_1966.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I usually adopt the Buckley Pose when I'm in some sort of classroom debate or argument.

I hold eye contact with the speaker when they say things substantive, and when they say things that are not worthwhile I usually look at the ground and furrow my brow.

I put my hands to my face a lot as well, like Hefner is doing in pic related.

>> No.5331721

>>5331691

how do you have an argument?

>> No.5331732

what does this have to do with literature?

>> No.5331746

>>5331721
What do you mean? In terms of tonality?

I attempt to fuse the arrogance of Buckley with the modesty of Scruton. Watch some of their debates on YouTube and get a sense for each of their styles.

Buckley's tone is domineering and can potentially cause your opponent to lose their self-assurance, while Scruton's tone is so humble it compels people to pay close attention to what you have to say, since wisdom is often understood as going hand in hand with modesty (I know nothing, etc)

>> No.5331758

One way to tell if someone is lying (at least a normie) is eye contact. If they break contact while they are speaking to you, it is likely a lie. You have to gauge the person as a whole first before you can zero in on details like this. For instance, eye contact can be an issue with autists and empaths. As such, for them, eye contact evasion may not be a positive indicator of dishonesty.

Also, context context context.

Often these goombahs who believe they're experts on non-verbal communication are causing a lot of shit with over-generalizations. I.e. the crossed arms bit being "hostile" or "defensive." I often cross my arms to pressure my spine to straighten as I work a back-breaking job.

>> No.5331770

>>5331746

but, like, why do you argue? What do you argue about? Is it like a peacock dance when you debate? Do you go into the debate absolutely assured that you are correct on whatever matter it is you are debating, or do you go in with an open mind and try to really understand your opponents point of view? Is such mentioned open-mindedness a hindrance during debate, and who do you argue for? For your ideals? For others ideals? To prove you're 'right', or, to 'look good'?

>> No.5331774

>>5330598
>i even sit on them like a jap when in class sometimes since it helps me focus, what's the problem
high five

>> No.5331778

>>5331758

fucking wrong. people actually keep eye contact while lying because they want to prove how serious they are. i do that all the time.

stop believing those behavioural books from the 20s.

>> No.5331788

>>5330516
lold pretty hard

>> No.5331789

>>5331770
Ex debate capitan reporting. You debate to learn argumentation and to learn about the world, nigger.

>> No.5331793

Going around trying to constantly hone in on this shit is tiresome.

>> No.5331797

>>5331758
>empaths
wat

>> No.5331798

>>5331778

Like what you do matters.

>> No.5331811

>>5330767
Don't
But I cant talk I scan women's bodies as quickly as I can just by habit

Never got me in trouble though, if anything the few times I was caught the girl liked it

>> No.5331825

>>5331789

So if your opponent brings up a pretty good point that swings well with you do you ignore it and carry on fighting your position for the sake of debating aesthetics? Like as if you are an actor playing a part?

>>5331797

'empaths' are highly sensitive, or, empathetic people. Often described in positive terms, as like a gift, by certain new age schools. It is a gift and a curse depending on who you are and how you use it.

>> No.5331878

gotta love an epic huffpost life hacks article

>> No.5331972
File: 18 KB, 240x200, cutebibi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am not really in favor of analyzing body language. After all it should be unconsciousness that processes the body language and it seems too clumsy to try to decipher what this particular person tries to say with this particular movement in this particular situation. Too complicated. I trust my brain to do those thing for me. And even if it would work, I will rather believe someone than try to catch them lying, too much suspicion seems like something not very noble to me.

>> No.5332017

>>5331972

>it seems too clumsy to try to decipher what this particular person tries to say with this particular movement in this particular situation

We've already discussed that analysing body language is not the be all and end all of catching a lie. But everyone lies. Everyone. And so it helps in life to be able to identify the signs of anxiety or stress in someone who is purported to be telling the truth, and by being in honesty should, instead of displaying anxious behaviours, be relaxed and confident in appearance. Of course in an ideal world we'd be completely honest with one another, but hey.

teach your unconscious to pick up on lapses in consistency within individual's behaviour and you will learn a whole new ugly world. just saiyan.

>> No.5332375

>body language

>Hey Dave there's this guy sitting next to the children's toys
>Keep an eye on him might be up to no good
>Hello sir can I help you with you anything?
>N-no i-it's ok I'm just on my phone
>Right
>Dave you know that guy I was talking about?
>He's stuttering and squirming a bit, holding his elbow at a sub 90 degree angle, avoiding eye contact and he keeps muttering the word "pleb" to himself while texting on his phone
>yeah sounds like he fits the profile of a creep get him out of there
>Ok sir I'm going to have to ask you to come with me
>W-what why I'm n-not even doing anything
>Dave he just blinked twice while avoiding contact and I think he just pulled a Wendy maneuver asking two questions in succession
>My god. Keep him at bay I'll alert FBI
>Sir I'm going to have to ask you to calm down
>W-w-why
>Okay He's playing hardball, Dave
>Take him down

>And tonight on Local News, a terrorist pervert caught in the act at a local shopping center and tazed, federal authorities say national security could have been jeopardized