[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 542 KB, 619x800, celine.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5306799 No.5306799[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is Céline the greatest French author of the last century?

>> No.5306802

>>5306799

Proust. He's right up there, though.

>> No.5306804

>>5306802
Proust. Céline's right down there, actually.

>> No.5306808

>>5306799
Gotta love his prose:

“It didn't take long. In that despondent changeless heat the entire human content of the ship congealed into a massive drunkenness. People moved flabbily about like squid in a tank of tepid smelly water. From that moment on we saw, rising to the surface, the terrifying nature of white men, exasperated, freed from constraint, absolutely unbuttoned, their true nature, same as in the war. That tropical steam bath called forth the instincts as August breeds toads and snakes on the fissured walls of prisons. In the European cold, under gray, puritanical northern skies, we seldom get to see our brothers' festering cruelty except in times of carnage, but when roused by the foul fevers of the tropics, their rottenness rises to the surface. That's when the frantic unbuttoning sets in, when filth triumphs and covers us entirely. It's a biological confession. Once work and cold weather cease to constrain us, once they relax their grip, the white man shows you the same spectacle as a beautiful beach when the tide goes out: the truth, fetid pools, crabs, carrion, and turds.”

>> No.5306810

>>5306804

>Céline's right down there, actually.

..Sick burn bro?

>> No.5306813

>>5306799
>Who is Apollinaire
>Who is Proust

>> No.5306819

How can a doctor be so down and out?

>> No.5306832

>>5306819
Physician is one of the professions with the highest suicide rate. Look up the writers suicide thread.

>> No.5306846

>>5306810
not meant to be a burn, just stating a fact
sorry for your cardiomyopathy though

>> No.5306849

>>5306813
>Apollinaire

They are not comparable. Apollinaire was mainly a poet, Celine a novelist.

>> No.5306851

>>5306849
>Is Céline the greatest French author of the last century?
>greatest French author
>author

>> No.5306876

Why do people rate Proust highly? Everything Céline said about him seems to be true.

>> No.5306878

>>5306851
>every French book is a translation of a foreign book

>> No.5306885

>>5306876
what did he say about him

>> No.5306887

>>5306878
What?

>> No.5306890
File: 938 KB, 680x3992, celine.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5306896

>>5306890
well hes certainly an angry chap
who influenced him?

>> No.5306897

>>5306878
What.the.actual.fuck?

>> No.5306900

>>5306890
where is this from btw

>> No.5306906

I read Journey to the End of the Night recently, really liked it.

But now I can barely remember any of it... ;_;

>> No.5306912

>>5306887

>>5306851 was >implying
that there is no French author. Or perhaps that Céline isn't an author but then why him specifically ?

>> No.5306915
File: 1.19 MB, 680x5720, celine1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5306917

>>5306900
Trifles for a Massacre

>> No.5306918

>>5306906
read mort à credit and guignol's band (I and II) next. the former is the prequel to voyage, while the latter fills in the gap between bardamu leaving the hospital and his trip to africa.

>> No.5306919

Who influenced Céline? I get a Rimbaudesque vibe from him

>> No.5306920

>>5306912
Are you retarded?
I was just saying that a poet is an author, in response to :>>5306849
Go back to plebbit

>> No.5306925

>>5306917
where did you find it in english?
>>5306918
alright ill give em a read

>> No.5306929

>>5306925
http://www.archive.org/stream/TriflesForAMassacre/CELINEtrif_djvu.txt
http://www.vho.org/aaargh/fran/livres6/CELINEtrif.pdf

google

>> No.5306930

>>5306929
https://archive.org/details/TriflesForAMassacre

>> No.5306932

>>5306929
thanks
do they sell a physical copy of this? im assuming not due to the anti semitism

>> No.5306934

>>5306896
His petty middle-class upbringing and WW1.
>>5306890
This extract is pretty brutal. It describes me perfectly.

>> No.5306935

>>5306932
Probably not for the reason you stated.

>> No.5306940

>>5306920
In this case your post is useless. Forgive me for assuming you weren't stating the obvious.

>> No.5306942

>>5306919
Rimbaud and Flaubert I'd say

>> No.5306943

>>5306915
It's fun that he started resembling what he described in his later years.

>> No.5306944

>>5306935
I mean

Probably not, for the reason you stated.

>>5306934
Yes, the greatest attack on Bourgeois life I've read is in that book. Unlike Marx who envies and resents the Bourgeois, Céline has contempt; contempt is a more appropriate emotion for the Bourgeois, hating them is ridiculous. Moliere's play "the middle-class gentleman" (bourgeois gentilhomme) is a good light-hearted parody of the Bourgeois before they came into power.

>> No.5306946

>>5306940
>implying that the post to whom I responded wasn't useless and stupid
Sure mate.

>> No.5306948

>>5306944
I know Rimbaud also had amusing thoughts and experiences with the Bourgeois of his time.

>> No.5306952

>>5306946
It was slightly less useless than yours, but still pretty irrelevant. Anyway, this subthread is taking too much room. Why Apollinaire of all writers ? For instance, what has Apollinaire on Aragon or Gide ?

>> No.5306953

>>5306948
True. See "A la musique"

>> No.5306963

>>5306944
>the greatest attack on Bourgeois life
Oh come on the guy is just bitter and projecting as hard as possible.

>> No.5306969

>>5306963
I know.

>> No.5306971

>>5306963
That's enough to make for a good attack on Bourgeois life. Basically Celine takes the stance of the poorfag that would like to live comfy like a Bourgeois but thinks all bourgeois he's met are a special kind of asshole. That's a pretty good description of the poorfag-bourgeois relationship.

>> No.5306974

>>5306963
>he's just bitter and projecting

This will never not sound like a woman's insult.

>> No.5306980

>>5306952
>I-I know that you are right bbbut I will change the s-s-subject

>Why Apollinaire of all writers ?
>Aragon
Aragon is garbage.
>Gide
Gide is very good, but Apollinaire is far ahead. His accentuation of the modernization in poetry is perfectly exquisite. Also he continue the deconstruction of the pure metric but without being too "destructive". He kept some metric rules and, therefore, kept the true essence of (French, at least, because some poetry in other languages are far less exacting) poetry, and didn't transform it in some stupid good prose thing.
There's also "Les Calligrammes", but I'm not too much in it.

>> No.5306983

>>5306971
I don't know, that last paragraph is riddled with so many -isms that the image of a wordly poorfag is kinda shattered.

>>5306974
Is woman's insults even a thing?

>> No.5307002

>>5306983
>even a thing?

Also, "a thing" and all its variations ("__ is totally a thing now") is pure feminine, Gawker-style horseshit. What are you doing to yourself?

>> No.5307006

>>5307002
Apparently I'm on the process of retracting my literary penis, according to you.

>> No.5307026

>>5306983
A poorfag can be good with words. His vocabulary (at least not in this extract) is extended but not very erudite. It's mostly one long big "fuck you". And you have to keep in mind that this is a translation. Céline is known for his use of oral language. And don't forget that there is such a thing as a writer household name, so even a poorfag that stopped after midschool would have some references.

But you're right in a way, though. Céline is not le niggaspeech writer. His oral-like speech is still the product of a literary work. It's successful (or not depending on your taste) rendition of oral speech, it's not a recording of it.

As Céline said in one interview (with quite some nerve): "Plato put thought into writing. I put speech into writing."
>>5306980
Thanks for the answer, made me want to read Apollinaire. I had never heard precisely were he stood on meter, but he seems to be quite important in the evolution of the thing, by your account. I think you made him the next French poet on my list.

>> No.5307030

>>5307006
Aww but it's, like, totally okay anon .

>> No.5307072

>>5307006
we gonna fuck your literary boipussy, then

>> No.5307162
File: 19 KB, 385x376, Bloy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5306919

He did read Rimbaud, also Chateaubriand, Balzac, Dumas, Hugo, but I'd say his most obvious influence is Léon Bloy, a man even more bitter than Céline himself. Don't know if there are any english translations of his works but he's pretty good if you're into hardcore catholic beggars who convert prostitutes and ask other writers for money before saying they're absolute shit and the shame of "les lettres françaises". The "ungrateful beggar" (a well-earned nickname) wasn't a great novelist lik Céline but there are a lot of gems to be found in his writings.

>> No.5307177

>>5307162
> man even more bitter than Céline himself

That's quite the achievment. That alone makes him worth reading.

>> No.5307225

>>5307026
Would you mind to tell me who you have on your list?
Also, Apollinaire is a bit special, try some poems like "La Loreleï", Le pont Mirabeau", "la chanson du mal-aimée" and some poems of his "Bestiaire"(Bestiaire got some really short poems, you may like it). Also, try to understand the rhythm and to see how the rhymes are construct (metric and sonorities).

>> No.5307244

>>5307002
Lol you can always count on 4chan to come up with the goofiest reasons for why stupid shit is stupid

>> No.5307306

>>5307162
I intend to read Le Désespéré soon, Borges recommended Bloy as one of his favourite authors in his column Biblioteca personal. Do you have a favourite Bloy book yourself?

>> No.5307408

>>5307306

>>5307306

"Le Désespéré" is a good way to get to know Bloy, it's very well-written (although some religious parts were a bit too long for my taste) and the main character shares a lot of characteristics with the author (even more than Céline's Bardamu). Lots of digressions about the corruption of catholicism and the popular authors he thought were shitty at the time (he made a lot of enemies with that book). He still praises a few other guys (usually the gloomier ones) in this. Yeah, probably the best place to start.

>> No.5307499

>>5307225
Valéry
Rimbaud
Mallarmé
Verlaine perhaps

I've been reading too much Baudelaire, I need to get out of him. Actually I'd be nice to see how the verse evolves from Baudelaire to Rimbaud, Verlaine and Mallarmé to Apollinaire. Will do that.

> Also, try to understand the rhythm and to see how the rhymes are construct (metric and sonorities).

Good advice. Baudelaire really draw my attention to sonority, so I'll take a chance to see how his "sons" and successors handled it.

>> No.5307506

>>5306799
Yes, possibly the greatest author of the last century if not more.
""Mais dites j'y comprends rien du tout ! ah ! mais c'est terrible ! pas possible ! Je ne vois que des bagarres dans votre livre ! C'est même pas un livre ! nous allons droit au désastre ! Ni queue ni tête !"
Je lui apporterais le Roi Lear qu'il y verrait que des massacres.
Qu'est-ce qu'il voit lui dans l'existence ?
Et puis ça se tasse... tout le monde s'y fait ! ... et tout s'arrange... A la prochaine !
Chaque fois c'est le même pataquès. Ca vocifère et puis ça se calme. Ils aiment jamais ce qu'on leur présente. Ca leur fait mal ! ... Oh là youyouye ! ... ou c'est trop long ! ... ça les ennuye ! ... toujours quelque chose ! ... C'est jamais ça ! et puis d'un coup ils en raffolent ! ... Allez-y voir ! Retournez-vous le sang ! c'est tout caprices ! Je compte moi qu'il faut une bonne année pour que ça mûrisse... que chacun aye dit son fort mot, éjecté sa bile, bien propagé sa petite connerie, dégorgé... Puis le silence... et cent, deux cent mille l'achètent... catimini... le lisent... se chamaillent... vingt mille l'adulent, l'apprennent par coeur... c'est le Panthéon !"

>> No.5307510

>>5307506
>Yes, possibly the greatest author of the last century if not more.
topkek
He is a hack that belongs in the trash.

>> No.5307512

>>5307506
Fun as always. But almost grandfatherly here. Actually Celine sometimes reminds me of a grandma.

>> No.5307517

>>5307512
You couldn't be further to the point of this excerpt and Céline in general.

>> No.5307521

>>5307510
He is mocking people like you in the quote funnily.

>> No.5307524

>>5307517
I know, I know (I've read parts of Trifles for a Massacre). But in this excerpts he really writes like old people in France talk. It's pretty funny. And he sounds a bit like a grandfather making fun of his grandkids. Plus in the interviews he did later in his life he wears a scarf and mumbles just like a grandma. That particular writer with that particular look, it's uncanny.

>> No.5307526

>>5307521
>funnily
Nope, m8.

>> No.5307527

is celine the french equivalent of quebecois garbage?

>> No.5307530

>>5307527
What is that supposed to mean

>> No.5307533

>>5307527
Yes, he is.

>> No.5307607

>>5307499
>Valéry
Hmm... why not.

>Rimbaud
You need to have a good level in French and you need to understand the historical context. Also, it is really interesting to know more about the History of French poetry before reading him. He's not easy to fully appreciate.

>Mallarmé
Definitely. But you need too have a good level in French so that you will not pay too much attention on the words and you will be able to let the sonorities and the symbols "flow" into your brain.

>Verlaine
He is a strange poet. He wrote some excellent poems, and some really bad. He isn't regular. But you could check some poems like "Colloque sentimentale" (really short and melancholic). He is the poet of the melancholy actually (see Clair de Lune (which inspired the music of the same name by Debussy), or "Nevermore" or "Mon rêve famillier" both are sonnets).

>I've been reading too much Baudelaire
I really don't like Baudelaire. The first time I read him, it was when I had 13-14, I really enjoyed it. But when I reread him (around 16) I understand that he was just a popular poet. Maybe the most pleb poet. His style is ridiculously inferior to the Parnassian or the symbolist (but some of his poems are pretty good though, but not much).

Well if I had one poet to advise you, it would be Hugo (the greatest french romantic poet and probably the greatest poet of the XIX in France). There's also poet like Leconte de Lisle and Hérédia who are totally God Tier, but a little less known and of course Lamartine, the "most romantic of the romantic" I would say.
Also, you mentioned really modern poets. I assume that you read the more ancient? XVIth (La Pléiade), and of course, the Golden Age of French poetry: the XVIIth.

>> No.5307611

>>5307607
Possibly the dumbest posters on this board.

>> No.5307616

>>5307611
I listen to you my friend. What did I got wrong?

>> No.5307672

>>5307607
>You need to have a good level in French and you need to understand the historical context.

I'm a French native :)

>He's not easy to fully appreciate.

True, he's one of the most puzzling writers I've read (read him before but not enough so I need to give it another try). What he does with the alexandrine just doesn't seem natural.

>Definitely. But you need too have a good level in French so that you will not pay too much attention on the words and you will be able to let the sonorities and the symbols "flow" into your brain.

Well, I'm looking forward to some trouble, knowing his reputation of obscurity. What Valéry says of him is incredible though.

>He isn't regular.

That's what I've been told. But I can't really bypass him.

>I really don't like Baudelaire.

Here we'll have to disagree. I can admit that he's more accessible, and less tight than Mallarmé, more irregular than the Parnassiens or more tame than Rimbaud, but he almost created a whole swath of poetry of later nineteenth century France. Even now he's a cornerstone, and you don't become that without a great deal of qualities.

>he was just a popular poet

He wasn't really that popular. He got some publicity because of some of his writings being banned but mostly he was popular among younger poets (and then became very famous posthumously).

>His style is ridiculously inferior to the Parnassian or the symbolist (but some of his poems are pretty good though, but not much).

I've not read enough of the Parnassians to tell, but I find his work on sonority to be remarkable (and he was a father figure to the Symbolists). Although there are plenty of his poems that I don't like, there are just as much I find good, and quite some I absolutely love. But I guess it's mostly that his best are incredible, so they cancel out the bad. Now of course this is a problem of taste, and if you like the Symbolists Baudelaire will naturally look a bit primitive, as he is their ancester.

>I assume that you read the more ancient? XVIth (La Pléiade)

I'll come to it, but not yet. I might read some Aggripa d'Aubigné in passing, before diving seriously into that period.

>the Golden Age of French poetry: the XVIIth

I read Malherbe and Boileau with pleasure a few years ago, it will probably reread them at some. La Fontaine's Fables I've read three times, and it's more interesting every time. And Racine is, well, Racine (nothing more needs to be said).

>> No.5307683

>>5307672

cont'd

>Well if I had one poet to advise you, it would be Hugo (the greatest french romantic poet and probably the greatest poet of the XIX in France). There's also poet like Leconte de Lisle and Hérédia who are totally God Tier, but a little less known and of course Lamartine, the "most romantic of the romantic" I would say.

Hugo is a bit daunting (though terribly underrated as a poet). I read some of his plays (who have very impressive verses). The few poems I read of him didn't strike me as much as Baudelaire's, they were good but didn't do much for me. He's a guy who need a whole summer of reading for himself.

The Parnassians will be perhaps next on my list (or perhaps I'll insert one of them before Verlaine).

I've read the unavoidable "Lake" by Lamartine. Perhaps the most romantic thing ever written. I'll look forward to read more, but I've already my hands full with books.

What do you now of pre-XVIth century French poetry ? Safe for the immortal Villon, I'm pretty much ignorant of it.

>>5307611
The Baudelaire part made me cringe a bit, but the others recs are sound.

>> No.5307696

>>5307683
I should add that I've unfortunately never read Corneille, apart from the famous "false dilemma" scene in Le Cid which I know by heart. And Molière is always brilliant, although I don't know if he's considered a poet like Racine and Corneille are.

>> No.5307824

>>5307672
>he almost created a whole swath of poetry of later nineteenth century France
That's not totally true. He, indeed, merged mostly two movements, but that's not as impressive as everyone says. Gautier was the first to tend to a sort of """harmony""" between Romanticism and Parnass. He was closely followed by de Lisle in some rare poems. But the fact is that the Parnass has arrived in such a complicated posture, that someone should have done it, this thing of almost merging these movement. Mendés will do it pretty well. I'm much more impressed of what he did for the "painting of the modernity" (what I said about Apollinaire was that he continued Baudelaire's works on modernity).

>and if you like the Symbolists Baudelaire will naturally look a bit primitive, as he is their ancester
Very true. I just don't like to hear Baudelaire Baudelaire Baudelaire again and again and again..He was a great poet, but, in my opinion, highly overrated.
>and you don't become that without a great deal of qualities
Sure thing

>I find his work on sonority to be remarkable
Then you will totally melt when you will read Gautier/Mallarmé.

>I read Malherbe and Boileau
They are not really known outside of France, that's pretty sad. Both are total geniuses.

>Hugo is a bit daunting
Hugo is really easy actually. Really simple to understand. Get "Les Contemplations" (the first 6-7 poems are pretty indigestible, but the rest is pure genius).

>I'll look forward to read more
Lamartine is really really strict on his poetry. All his poems are quite similar. What is interesting is that he always talk about the same thing (pretty much), but never repeat himself, there's a huge ingenuity and creativity in his writing.

>What do you now of pre-XVIth century French poetry ?
Aubigné (but you mentioned him earlier), (Théophile) de Viau, not so pre-XVI but Clément Marot (maybe the most important French poet, not by his writing but more by his codifications on the metric/rhymes/rhythm).
And if yu want to go deeper : Maurice Scève and Rutebeuf, (and even more deeper the "first great french poet" Chrétien de Troyes).

>The Baudelaire part made me cringe a bit
Well /lit/ is always really incisive. I'm maybe too much on /lit/. But I assume that this guy: >>5307611 never read much French poetry. Sometimes it's good to ""destruct"" the idols as Nietzsche could say.

>Corneille
Horace. Read Horace, now. The archetype of the Cornelian classicism.

>Molière
Les Précieuses Ridicules, Tartuffe and of course, Le Misanthrope (the highest/greatest comedy in French language in my opinion).

>> No.5307874

>>5307824
>I just don't like to hear Baudelaire Baudelaire Baudelaire again and again and again..He was a great poet, but, in my opinion, highly overrated.

Ah, I understand now. He's the most central French poet nowadays, at crossroads of many things, and one of the only poet read outside of France. I guess that must be tiring. I myself am getting dizzy with hearing the names of Racine and Pascal, despite them being legitimately great.

>Then you will totally melt when you will read Gautier/Mallarmé.

Yeah, Gautier too. Another forgotten giant. But Valéry really sold Mallarmé to me.

>Hugo is really easy actually. Really simple to understand.

My concern is the lenght of his works. Valéry said that Hugo his remarkable in that he never stopped maturing over his sixty years of writing. Which means if you want to see his full evolution, you need to read accross his whole work.

>Aubigné (but you mentioned him earlier), (Théophile) de Viau, not so pre-XVI but Clément Marot (maybe the most important French poet, not by his writing but more by his codifications on the metric/rhymes/rhythm).
And if yu want to go deeper : Maurice Scève and Rutebeuf, (and even more deeper the "first great french poet" Chrétien de Troyes).

Thanks for the detailed recs. It's fun because I've heard the name of all those, but they wouldn't come to my mind (except Chrétien and Aubigné).

>Sometimes it's good to ""destruct"" the idols as Nietzsche could say.

Verily, and I need to destroy a bit of the Baudelaire idol in me. Hope Mallarmé will help me on that.

>Horace. Read Horace, now. The archetype of the Cornelian classicism.

That's one I don't hear often. I'll make sure to check it, poor Corneille is too often left alone in his corner.

>Les Précieuses Ridicules, Tartuffe and of course, Le Misanthrope (the highest/greatest comedy in French language in my opinion).

I have a soft spot for Dom Juan, but Le Misanthrope is really a masterpiece, I agree.

Actually, I think I'll screencap both your posts, are they are good for anyone interested in French poetry. If I google "French poets", I'll mostly get endless lists by century or short "essential" lists that always have the ten same guys. Your recs are a good balance.

>> No.5307877

>>5307824
>But I assume that this guy: >>5307611(You) never read much French poetry.
Baseless assumption. Further proof you are absolutely idiotic.

>> No.5307924

>>5307874
>My concern is the length of his works
True, his works are really dense, and he wrote a lot.

>>5307877
You again? Tell me, please, what did I get wrong.

>Baseless assumption
Well mate you must understand that all I got from you is this senseless attack : >>5307611 and when I asked you to tell me where I was doing a mistake, you didn't answer me.
So, by now, I ask you again (hope that the second time will be the good one) : could you please tell me what I did wrong?
And please don't say things like "muh you aren't even worth my enlightened spirit" or "my critics are too pure for you" because it will hurt my little hurt, and I'm a sensible person.

>> No.5307931

>>5307924
m8, I don't spend all day on a laotian image board.

>> No.5307942

>>5307931
>m8, I don't spend all day on a laotian image board.
Haha, so predictable.
6/10 for the effort

>> No.5307985

>>5306808
tis shit

>translating Céline

just log off life right now

>> No.5308002

>>5307985
It's not so badly done. The problem is the use or slang, or, in this case, the lack thereof. Is English slang any juicy ?

>> No.5308015

>>5308002
not really man

niggers kind of have something to it, perhaps because of atrocious syntax, but Céline really writes something that would go:

Me! ... in jail?... never, I am too refined me... !

Translations tend to turn large sentences built like this or with wack syntax into multiple sentences or to simply change the punctuation. I reckon they do it for the money, trying to make something easy to read, but Céline isn't easy to read in French, and by this idea only a jew could come up with (let's dumb down this work of art! let's make it easy for the masses! for the money!), they literally change the whole thing and are an insult to the human mind

>> No.5308026

>>5308015
I know this is a Céline thread, but the sudden antisemitism caught me offguard.

>> No.5308032

>>5308026
well celine is antisemitic

>> No.5308048

>>5308032
That's why I said "I know this is a Céline thread". It was a good, lit-related thread with not a hint of ideological posturing so I wasn't exepcting this. I hopeit stays this way.

>> No.5308057

>>5308048
shut the fuck up you thin-skinned pussy

if you cant handle the heat just fucking walk out

just shame-walk the fuck out of here walking along the boos of the crowd

yeah thats it

thats what I thought

accept their tomatoes

accept insults and veggies hurled at you

walk out

bitch

>> No.5308077

>>5308057
This is the dumbest post I have ever seen on the whole of 4chan.

>> No.5308103

>>5308057
That's a poor attempt at mimicking Céline's antisemitism. You have a few months of fighting in WW1 and wandering in Africa before you can catch up.

>> No.5308104

>>5308015

Have you read the new German translation by Hinrich Schmidt-Hinkel? It's much better in comparison to Manheim's English translation; presumably because German is more flexible than English. Was well received by German feuilletons but obviously lacks Céline's untranslatable argot.

>> No.5308109

>>5308103
I didn't mimick his style, though. Which I am pretty good at, even if I really don't like it.